Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Lakewood-Trying to get my daughter into the right school
Previous  1  2

amother
Pewter

Post Mon, May 27 2019, 9:36 am
amother [ Plum ] wrote:
Btw my girls are in bnos bracha, there are no chassidish families there, and probably not even heimish ones! It's mostly balebatish or yeshivish.

So many terms! Whats “balbatish?”

amother
Pewter

Post Mon, May 27 2019, 9:37 am
Mommyg8 wrote:
OP, just putting this out - would the difference in havarah bother you? Because of course the schools you mentioned have the litvish havarah. If it would, maybe you would be better off in a Chassidish school? Chassidish Lakewood is not the same as Chassidish Boro Park or Williamsburg...

I was chassidish in a litvish havarah school along with many others- was never an issue

amother
Ecru

Post Mon, May 27 2019, 9:47 am
Chayalle wrote:
As others have said, these schools are flooded with applicants who are a good fit for the school. Unless you had first-degree pull, I don't think someone else will be able to help much.

I'll be honest here and say, I have relatives for example in Bnos Esther Malka....and I can't imagine a chassidish child doing well there socially. It really doesn't make sense. Nor Bnos Bracha or Nachlas. BRR might not be so far-fetched, but they are really, really hard to get into.

OP, you would do better to apply to Chassidish schools that are more open-minded. What about Tiferes Chaya? Also, isn't there a school that opened to service the overflow from Bais Rivka Rochel? That might be a good shot....Bais Rochel is also Chassidish, but not extremely so. These are schools you might want to look into.

The overflow school is Mesoros, and it’s for alumni because not even alumni kids get into BRR these days .

dorothy1

Post Mon, May 27 2019, 10:24 am
OP I really think your best options are Moreshes and Bnos Penina. They fit what you want and may have space .

amother
Olive

Post Mon, May 27 2019, 10:28 am
Mommyg8 wrote:
OP, just putting this out - would the difference in havarah bother you? Because of course the schools you mentioned have the litvish havarah. If it would, maybe you would be better off in a Chassidish school? Chassidish Lakewood is not the same as Chassidish Boro Park or Williamsburg...

There's only one school that uses the chassidish havara (besides the new schools that belong to a chassidus like Belz and Viznitz) and that's Bnos Bina. OP definitely does not want to send there! The other chassidish schools like Bais Rochel, Tiferes Chaya, and Bnos Haddassa (Kesser) all use the litvish havara. Besides, it's such a trivial part of choosing a school.

Another vote for Bnos Penina here. I know the chassidish/heimish/balebatish schools here and this one sounds like the best fit.

Mommyg8

Post Mon, May 27 2019, 10:45 am
amother [ Olive ] wrote:
There's only one school that uses the chassidish havara (besides the new schools that belong to a chassidus like Belz and Viznitz) and that's Bnos Bina. OP definitely does not want to send there! The other chassidish schools like Bais Rochel, Tiferes Chaya, and Bnos Haddassa (Kesser) all use the litvish havara. Besides, it's such a trivial part of choosing a school.

Another vote for Bnos Penina here. I know the chassidish/heimish/balebatish schools here and this one sounds like the best fit.

NP! Just a thought I had. Glad I was wrong!

Sebastian

Post Mon, May 27 2019, 10:47 am
If your dd is already in a school, you're going to have a hard time getting into another 1 without serious pull

amother
Aquamarine

Post Mon, May 27 2019, 11:12 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
We're thinking of applying to nachlas, bnos Esther malka, bais rivka Rochel next year.
Anyone have pull in these schools who'd like to help me?

No no no and more no.
The grass is always greener on the other side. Think your child is going to be confused growing up in the school shes in now? Shell be more confused in a school like nachlas! Im sending my daughter there. Which heimish person likely coming from boro park etc wants to be surrounded by a huge mix of litvish / harryish out of towners ?
Don't mean to sound harsh but like others said u dont fit into a mold and shoving yourself in one won't do u any good..more right more left.. its a lose lose either way. Its going to be this way as long as youre in lakewood. Im sorry Sad
Please know youre still a good jew and Hashem doesnt judge you just because the schools do ...

amother
Blush

Post Mon, May 27 2019, 12:04 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
We're thinking of applying to nachlas, bnos Esther malka, bais rivka Rochel next year.
Anyone have pull in these schools who'd like to help me?

Did you try bnos penina. Just sounds more like your type than the above schools.

mommyfish

Post Mon, May 27 2019, 1:52 pm
I know for a fact that Bnos Bracha hardly accepts ANYONE if they’re in another Lakewood school already. Not sure if that’s how it is for most schools.

Chaya123

Post Mon, May 27 2019, 3:12 pm
Which school are you currently in?

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 27 2019, 11:45 pm
Op here. Thanks all for your responses.
Firstly, I have many friends who are raising families very similar to us who send to bnos bracha, meoros, and nachlas. I'd love to send to bais Tova but when I called for an application they told me they're 90% full with siblings.
Secondly the schools like kesser and tiferes Chaya , I don't believe in their focus which is more the external of judaism vs. Everything else.
Thirdly, bnos penina- the type might be a good fit for us but my husband has heard too many stories about treatment from the principal to parents so that's out. I'm not dissing everything out there but school is a crucial part to a child's development! I know the situation here in Lakewood is nuts and sometimes people might send to schools that aren't ideal but that can have an affect on ur child for years to come. I'm sensitive to that because I went through that in school and I know how it affects u for years. I don't need perfect, I need a school with the right focus, open-minded and run well.
Lastly, I'm waiting for the day we can move out of here!! As soon as an opportunity will present itself we are out! But for now we are here.

amother
Brunette

Post Tue, May 28 2019, 2:17 am
Op where would you move to given the opportunity? I've given up on finding the right place for chassidish families that are ehrlich but don't necessarily want to live as restricted as they were raised.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics