Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
I don't understand who is using Shabbos makeup
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 28 2019, 2:40 pm
I keep seeing mention of Shabbos makeup on this site and on Instagram, but so far every single Rav that I've asked about it (and I've sent detailed explanations of how it works) has said that it's not muttar. I am American balabatish (not MO). I understand that there are some Rabbanim who say it's ok - is it only the MO ones? I'm just confused why it seems to be so accepted and prevalent - is it just MO people that are doing this?

amother
Honeydew

Post Tue, May 28 2019, 2:43 pm
I am yeshivish.
My rabbi said it's ok. He explained that its water based, so it dits on top of the skin, rather than coloring it like an oil based pigment does.

ectomorph

Post Tue, May 28 2019, 2:44 pm
I don't know any yeshivish rav who says it's muttar. But no one I know wears it.

amother
Brown

Post Tue, May 28 2019, 2:50 pm
Who cares?

A lot of Shabbos makeup exists for women who go to the mikvah on Friday night or yom tov, in which case rabbanim will be more meikil.

Last edited by amother on Sun, Jul 07 2019, 1:12 pm; edited 1 time in total

cnc

Post Tue, May 28 2019, 2:51 pm
I asked two rabbanim in different circles that are both considered lenient . They both said it’s assur.

amother
Babypink

Post Tue, May 28 2019, 2:51 pm
OP, many women use it without asking or even after being told it's not Ok.

ra_mom

Post Tue, May 28 2019, 2:52 pm
I'm not MO. I follow halacha. I'm sorry your rav doesn't ok it.

amother
Orange

Post Tue, May 28 2019, 2:54 pm
What makes no sense to me is that you if your makeup is wearing off, you cannot apply the shabbos make up to add color. As far as I know you can only apply to a completely clean, bare face.
I always put on a full face of makeup before shabbos/yomtov -so as my lipstick, eyeliner is wearing off I would want a to reapply with shabbos makeup but apparently it’s not allowed.

ra_mom

Post Tue, May 28 2019, 3:00 pm
amother [ Orange ] wrote:
What makes no sense to me is that you if your makeup is wearing off, you cannot apply the shabbos make up to add color. As far as I know you can only apply to a completely clean, bare face.
I always put on a full face of makeup before shabbos/yomtov -so as my lipstick, eyeliner is wearing off I would want a to reapply with shabbos makeup but apparently it’s not allowed.

It makes perfect sense. Shabbos makeup is designed not to stick to the skin, necessary in order to follow halacha. It's assur to apply it on top of other makeup.
One is allowed to remove and wash off all makeup on shabbos and YT. And they can do that if they'd like to use Shabbat powder makeup.

amother
Honeydew

Post Tue, May 28 2019, 3:06 pm
ectomorph wrote:
I don't know any yeshivish rav who says it's muttar. But no one I know wears it.

As soon as I figure out how to upload pix on this site, I will send a pic of a letter from R Fishelis allowing it

allthingsblue

Post Tue, May 28 2019, 3:10 pm
Rabbi Heineman from Baltimore, a very trustworthy rabbi, supposedly gives his Haskoma/hechsher to one brand of shabbs makeup.
I asked my rabbi and he said in Eretz Yisroel it's not allowed but some are ok with it in America.

amother
Cobalt

Post Tue, May 28 2019, 3:11 pm
ra_mom wrote:
I'm not MO. I follow halacha. I'm sorry your rav doesn't ok it.

Odd response. Does your Rav allow it or not?

ra_mom

Post Tue, May 28 2019, 3:15 pm
amother [ Cobalt ] wrote:
Odd response. Does your Rav allow it or not?

I asked a shaila for myself and my rav allows me to use it. I am unable to write who my rav is since he answered for me, but I can guide you to some public opinions on the matter.

https://www.chabad.org/library.....t.htm

Rabbi Blumenkranz gave/gives hashgacha on the Shabbat makeup brand.

Rabbi Dovid Weinberger of Shaarei Tefilah gives the hashgacha and supervision for brush ups cosmetics.
http://www.thejewishstar.com/s.....age=2

https://www.shaindeecosmetics.......html

amother
Orange

Post Tue, May 28 2019, 3:22 pm
How does shabbos makeup look when applied to a completely bare face? I’d imagine that there is very little color by the eyes since eyeliner and mascara is hard to apply with a powder. Any pictures to prove I’m wrong?

BadTichelDay

Post Tue, May 28 2019, 3:27 pm
I'm sort of MO (DL really) and I remember reading a psak from one of the Rabbanim we hold by, forgot which, saying it's assur. Not sure though if the reference was to ordinary powder or Shabbat make up. In any event, I put on complete make up before Shabbat (if I have time, that is) and just live with it fading away during Shabbat.
Friday night mikveh is tough - makes me feel very unsigthly, asides from dry itchy facial skin without cream for the rest of Shabbat. But that's life...

ra_mom

Post Tue, May 28 2019, 3:35 pm
How does shabbos makeup look when applied to a completely bare face? I’d imagine that there is very little color by the eyes since eyeliner and mascara is hard to apply with a powder. Any pictures to prove I’m wrong?

Go to the store with a bare face and try it on.

little neshamala

Post Tue, May 28 2019, 3:40 pm
Im yeshivish.

I was once discussing with my Rav (yeshivish posek) something about mikvah and I mentioned as an aside how hard friday night mikvah is because I feel like everyone knows I went because my face is bare.

He said "so why not use shabbos makeup"

I was shocked. I told him I assumed its for sure not ok so I didnt think to ask.
He told me there are specific items he holds are totally permissable to use.

Live and learn

imorethanamother

Post Tue, May 28 2019, 5:44 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I keep seeing mention of Shabbos makeup on this site and on Instagram, but so far every single Rav that I've asked about it (and I've sent detailed explanations of how it works) has said that it's not muttar. I am American balabatish (not MO). I understand that there are some Rabbanim who say it's ok - is it only the MO ones? I'm just confused why it seems to be so accepted and prevalent - is it just MO people that are doing this?

I'm also American balabatish, and not MO. I wish I could tell you the name of my Rav here, but he says it's muttar, as long as there is no other color underneath, and that you don't blend colors.

Like, you can't have long lasting lipstick on that's kinda wearing off, and then you put on shabbos makeup on top of that. You can't use eye shadow on top of primer. You can't use two different eye shadows. You can't put blush on top of foundation or another color you've used. Etc.

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 28 2019, 5:50 pm
Maybe I should change the title of this thread to:
"I really REALLY want to wear Shabbos makeup but my Rabbonim hold it's assur. What should I do? " Crying

amother
Coffee

Post Tue, May 28 2019, 9:01 pm

I thought it was a problem of mixing colors which is an issur.
And then also getting it to stick better due to the existing oils.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions