Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Too many tests?

amother

Post Thu, Nov 08 2007, 10:40 pm
I think that my 4th grader is being given too many tests (aside from all the other homework that is given.) Since last Friday they have had 6! For Lmudei Kodesh there were tests Monday, yesterday, and tomorrow. For Limudei Chol there were tests last Friday, yesterday and today. I think this is way too much for a 4th grader. There were also 2 tests given on one day which I feel is not fair to the kids. There is also loads of other homework (ex. 30 math problems, a social studies sheet and a test to study for). Is this the norm for this age group? This is my oldest child so I am experiencing this grade level for the 1st time. What do you think?

grin

Post Fri, Nov 09 2007, 12:15 am
I agree wiht you, but I don't know if thers's anything you can do. Try to discuss it with the teacher and/or pirncipal - at elast state your opinoin. (Waht do the other mothers think?)

Marion

Post Fri, Nov 09 2007, 5:40 am
It might just be a time of year thing. After the chagim, suddenly the teachers need mid-term marks. If there haven't been many quizzes yet, now you'll see lots of tests. After all, a teacher can't give a mark just based on class participation and how neat a notebook is kept.

cindy324

Post Fri, Nov 09 2007, 11:56 am
They may not all be full tests, some of them may be quizes, which some teachers like to give often to make sure the material is still fresh in their minds.

I also agree with Marion, report cards are coming up, I just saw my DD's calendar for next week and there's a test/quiz scheduled for every day.

Fox

Post Mon, Nov 12 2007, 6:42 pm
Don't even get me started!

Okay, too late; I've started!

Yes. There are far too many tests in my DDs' school and in most schools. One significant problem is that many teachers don't have a good handle on ways to evaluate learning without giving a test or quiz. If you want to be truly frightened, actually take a look at some of the tests: you'll see that the format of the tests rarely varies. True/False, fill-in-the blank, matching ... If a child happens not to be a good test-taker, well, tough luck!

BTW, this is not just a Jewish problem. Public schools are also faced with the same problem. This approach of "test the little rascals to death" is part of a larger educational trend that came out of the loosey-goosey 60s and 70s, when children were allowed to progress that their own paces -- even if that pace hardly rendered them literate.

There is something about education -- and I say this as a former teacher at a variety of levels -- that abhors the middle ground. If you claim that too much testing is going on, the principal will likely respond that, "We can't have the children get through school without learning anything," thus implying that you want them contemplating their navels all day.

Of course kids should learn how to take tests in a variety of formats. Of course kids should learn to be responsible. Of course they should participate in projects that develop academic skills. No sensible person argues otherwise. But most of the tests that are given in our schools are not adequately designed to plumb students' knowledge or application of skills. Unfortunately, many of the tests serve the purpose of saying, "See! We gave your daughter a test!" or "See! We're doing our job!" Or, in my opinion even more outrageous, "Well, this is what they do in high school."

I've never been tempted to home school for a variety of reasons, but there are days when it sure looks good ... I just hope the pendulum has swung back a little bit when, I"yh, I have granddaughters!

grin

Post Tue, Nov 13 2007, 9:08 am
I totally agree, both as a former teacher as well as a parent. One of the reasons that I stopped teaching is because misrad hachinuch demands tests. I responded by giving oral tests, but when I tried to base the girls' grade also on class performance, it triggered a fight with the principal. Eventaully I quit and I'm very happy I didn't find a teacher's position since.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics