Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
My dilemma- buying a computer

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 29 2019, 1:51 am
Is it worth to buy a used computer?
If anyone can help me, TIA.

amother
Jade

Post Wed, May 29 2019, 2:52 am
What do you need it for?
How much are you looking to spend?

amother
Peach

Post Wed, May 29 2019, 2:58 am
Depends on many factors. How old is the device? How much will you use it and for what applications? How fast do you need it to be? Was it infected? Can you install updates? We bought one that was about six years old, thinking we would install new software, only to discover that this model can’t be updated at all. We needed it for our business for which we need to use the latest and greatest software, and since we can’t install anything, it’s useless to us. It doesn’t have a dvd drive so we can’t even use it to watch movies. OTOH if you can update the software, you want mostly net surfing, email, and word processing and not anything that uses huge amounts of memory or the latest operating system, and the computer is only a couple of years old, it may be fine.

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 29 2019, 3:21 am
I need it to do graphics. I need a lot of memory. I need to be able to work with it. The seller installed new hardware and software and says this computer is good for my needs but the speed might be less than a new one. It's a Lenovo 2014 model and he is selling it for a third of the price than a new one. It is not guaranteed. My question is: True it will be cheaper but still a lot of money and I need it to last and work well. It is not just for entertainment.
Please answer only if you have had such an experience or similar.
TIA.

teachkids

Post Wed, May 29 2019, 3:21 am
What do you plan on using it for? Computers have "planned obsolescence" - they're designed to die after 5-10 years. So unless it's an incredibly good deal or a specialty computer, it won't work long.
If you only need basic word processing and internet, go with a Chromebook. If you need more than that, you can still get a laptop for under $500. If you just have a 6 month project, then used could make sense.

cholentfan1

Post Wed, May 29 2019, 5:40 am
If you're doing graphics, you usually need power and lots of it-I don't know how much you know about computers, but my husband works with computers (and we've been looking for a new one)-when you want speed and power, the 2 things to focus on are the memory and the processor-newer doesn't always mean faster, so this older computer could be faster than a lower budget new one.
You probably want at least 4gb RAM, but ideally minimum would probably be 8gb. the hard drive isn't as important or the size of it, although ssd are faster and you need less memory...some processors are faster than others, and some makes are better-do you know specifics about this computer?
I think it depends more on the spec of the computer over its age, if it's a refurbished but higher spec, might be better than a new one...
also you might want a bigger screen etc...

flower2

Post Wed, May 29 2019, 6:38 am
Get new. Every time I have gotten refurbished electronics they haven't lasted more than a minimal amount of time.
5years is old for a computer

amother
Peach

Post Wed, May 29 2019, 6:44 am
If you’re a graphic designer and this is your parnassah, not just to make nice birthday cards to send to friends, you need the latest and greatest. Buy new. DH is a GD and has to buy new every few years.

doctorima

Post Wed, May 29 2019, 6:59 am
For me, with no warranty and the fact that it's already 5 years outdated, it wouldn't be worth the risk and the headaches to save a few hundred dollars. Depending on the specs you need, you can get a brand new one for $400 or even less.

If you don't need it for long, maybe look into renting one for a couple weeks, which should be much cheaper and give you a more reliable model. If the old one dies on you in the middle and loses all your work, it will cost you a lot more than you saved to have a data retrieval expert get it back for you.

amother
Denim

Post Wed, May 29 2019, 7:06 am
If you're working with graphics, don't take that chance. Your parnasa will rely on your computer.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics