Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Miscellaneous
Missing thread
1  2  3  Next

BatyaEsther

Post Wed, May 29 2019, 4:49 pm
Am I losing my mind? Am I having vivid dreams about Imamother?
I thought I read, and wrote, on a thread this morning about a daughter getting into an Ivy League University and her parents not wanting her to go. I can't seem to find it now.
I am not emotionally invested in the thread but wondering if I am going crazy.
Thank you

penguin

Post Wed, May 29 2019, 5:02 pm
You're not dreaming. I saw it too. But I don't find it on searching for either Ivy League or college. Perhaps it deteriorated into some topics that are banned, and was pulled for review by a moderator.

doctorima

Post Wed, May 29 2019, 5:05 pm
You're not going crazy, I saw it also (maybe we're both going crazy?). OP was reported, and apparently it's been temporarily hidden for Yael's review.

JoyInTheMorning

Post Wed, May 29 2019, 5:30 pm
OP was reported? Why? This was a great topic, of interest to many imamothers here.

One day, when I'll have time, I may start a thread on this topic. Not that I expect my kids to get into the Ivy League, because it is so very competitive, but the whole topic of frum kids going away to college is super interesting and worthy of discussion, I think.

JoyInTheMorning

Post Wed, May 29 2019, 5:31 pm
doctorima wrote:
You're not going crazy, I saw it also (maybe we're both going crazy?). OP was reported, and apparently it's been temporarily hidden for Yael's review.

How do you know when someone is reported? How do you know when something is temporarily hidden? Are you a mod?

watergirl

Post Wed, May 29 2019, 5:35 pm
The thread has been removed.

chestnut

Post Wed, May 29 2019, 5:59 pm
watergirl wrote:
The thread has been removed.

Why?

karat

Post Wed, May 29 2019, 6:11 pm
I suppose the other thread that was removed was also not legitimate?
The one posted by a teacher whose students were caught in the act in the bathroom?

JoyInTheMorning

Post Wed, May 29 2019, 6:20 pm
karat wrote:
The one posted by a teacher whose students were caught in the act in the bathroom?

Are you saying the post about the kid getting into an Ivy League school wasn't real? There are kids who get into the Ivy League from RW yeshivas, so nothing pinged my radar. Why would someone make up such a story?

aricelli

Post Wed, May 29 2019, 6:26 pm
JoyInTheMorning wrote:
Are you saying the post about the kid getting into an Ivy League school wasn't real? There are kids who get into the Ivy League from RW yeshivas, so nothing pinged my radar. Why would someone make up such a story?

Truth is- sometimes even if it doesnt start off real it becomes real to us by giving us food for thought and interesting perspectives

ectomorph

Post Wed, May 29 2019, 6:30 pm
It's called trolling.

imasinger

Post Wed, May 29 2019, 6:32 pm
There were a bunch of threads, most more controversial, all started by the same user, could be for some kind of research. Yael removed the threads and banned the user.

momsrus

Post Wed, May 29 2019, 6:32 pm
karat wrote:

What about the one who’s 14 year old sister was raped and pg

karat

Post Wed, May 29 2019, 6:33 pm
Something about that thread felt off, though I can’t remember why.
Also, there were quite a few “interesting” threads started at the same time yesterday which raised a red flag.
If it would have been one it wouldn’t have been that suspicious but being that there were a few...
One such thread was a teen posting that she was kicked out of her house in middle of the night and was homeless.

crust

Post Wed, May 29 2019, 6:41 pm
karat wrote:
Also, there were quite a few “interesting” threads started at the same time yesterday which raised a red flag.
If it would have been one it wouldn’t have been that suspicious but being that there were a few...
One such thread was a teen posting that she was kicked out of her house in middle of the night and was homeless.

She said she's a chassidish girl...
If it was for an article I dont really fargin them the information so I'll not share it.

Being that this is a public thread I'll just say one thing to that OP.
Bad job baking things up. I can recall at least 7 things that were alarming in your post;

We know people like to think we're naive and from the dark ages but... I dont know any
1. chassidish girls that,
2. in 2019,
3. are kicked out
4. in middle of the night
5. for not obeying the rules and
6. have no where to turn to
7. except for imamother.

Try harder next time. Smile

JoyInTheMorning

Post Wed, May 29 2019, 6:44 pm
karat wrote:

Now that you mention it, here's what felt a little off: Someone asked the OP why she and her DH had let her daughter apply to the school if they didn't want to let her attend. Her answer seemed lame: that they hadn't expected her to get in. It was lame because it takes a lot of time and energy to go through the application process -- as just one example, there are different essay prompts for each university, and it takes time to write the essays -- and you tend to get involved in the process. It's hard to think that her parents would just cruelly let her go through all that and then pull the rug from under her.

The other thing that was odd was the mention of the five-week lag until she got off the waiting list, and the fact that this girl got in because of her community work and extracurricular activities. First, they don't tell you why you get in. Second, realistically, no yeshiva girl is going to get in based on her extracurriculars because it's really hard to compete with kids who are winning national math medals and state championships in some sport. Third, almost nobody gets in off Ivy League wait lists without major help from their guidance counselor.

I noticed these things, but I figured the OP had just changed some details so she wouldn't be identified.

Einikel

Post Wed, May 29 2019, 6:54 pm
As soon as I saw the 2 teen threads I was waiting for them to be removed. Not that I have experience bh but I would assume that if someone is ch”v raped they are tested for pregnancy.

Post Wed, May 29 2019, 7:04 pm
JoyInTheMorning wrote:
OP was reported? Why? This was a great topic, of interest to many imamothers here.

One day, when I'll have time, I may start a thread on this topic. Not that I expect my kids to get into the Ivy League, because it is so very competitive, but the whole topic of frum kids going away to college is super interesting and worthy of discussion, I think.

I would love to hear your thoughts on that topic. I thought your post was enlightening regarding what resources were available for frum students at different schools.

penguin

Post Wed, May 29 2019, 7:25 pm
see this
and this.

I didn't see what the outcome of the lawsuit was, but I can't imagine there's no room for a religious exemption at most schools.

flowerpower

Post Wed, May 29 2019, 8:31 pm
imasinger wrote:
There were a bunch of threads, most more controversial, all started by the same user, could be for some kind of research. Yael removed the threads and banned the user.

Was it a new member?
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics