Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Manhattan high school
1  2  Next

amother
Slategray

Post Sat, Oct 24 2015, 8:17 pm
Can anyone tell me an update about this school?
What's their reputation ? I know things have changed over the past few years and now that we're looking I'd like an idea of what this school is about
Thanks !

Lita

Post Sat, Oct 24 2015, 10:52 pm
I thiink their open house is tomorrow. Check it out.

amother
Cobalt

Post Sun, Oct 25 2015, 3:44 am
[Removed inappropriate comment, but this amother is not a fan. - merelyme, as mod]

amother
Sienna

Post Mon, Jan 11 2016, 10:42 pm
Bump

amother
Cobalt

Post Tue, Jan 12 2016, 4:18 am
amother wrote:
[Removed inappropriate comment, but this amother is not a fan. - merelyme, as mod]

Another amother who is NOT a fan. I don't know what the inappropriate comment was but I probably agree... :/

amother
Black

Post Tue, Jan 12 2016, 6:54 am
While I have some real issues with the school, there are great things you get there that it's very hard to get anywhere else. To me, it very much depends on what you are looking to get out of being there and the type of girl dd is.

Do you have specific questions? Something like reputation is difficult to guage in a school that services many different communities.

ValleyMom

Post Tue, Jan 12 2016, 10:23 am
Isn't it like a Bais Yaakov?
However its also a college prep school?

myym

Post Tue, Jan 12 2016, 10:38 am
I will be considering this school too. So those of you not a fan are you past students? Can you please provide some details of what bothered you? Student body or staff? Hashkafa? (as far as I know it is not bais Yaakov type.) And how long ago were you there.
Thanks in advance!

amother
Sienna

Post Tue, Jan 12 2016, 10:40 am
I understand that the school is more academically driven them other yeshivas. What type of girls do they attract? Are they fine girls with good middos? Are they very into the money that other girls in the class that they don't have? Is their a lot of pressure due to different financial backgrounds that kids come from?

amother
Black

Post Tue, Jan 12 2016, 12:13 pm
I would call MHS an open Bais Yaakov. They encourage multiple paths for the girls. Some go on to BJJ and some head to Harvard. The principal comes from a heavier Bais Yaakov background than the derech with which the school is run.

There are a lot of academic opportunities there, including tons of electives and APs and a lot of encouragement and help to enter academic contests and write papers for submission. There is a lot of work, and a lot of the girls are very driven. That being said, there are a lot of siblings in the school who may not necessarily have that personality, and that dilutes it some. There are tutors available, so not everybody aces everything.

There are girls with money. In my experience, they put zero pressure on anyone else to live up to their standards. It's just what they wear, etc. Whether a girl with less will feel inferior on her own is up to her- you have to know your kid. Most girls I know there do not feel that pressure; they have enough academic pressure. (It's helpful in your daughter either does well with a large workload or is the type not to stress about it too much.) It IS a priority of the school to have the girls learn to dress in a dignified way. That's why they have a dress code vs a uniform.

Good middos- like in most schools, there is a range. I do not find that range to be in any way related to people's financial situations.

amother
Cyan

Post Sun, Oct 15 2017, 9:17 pm
Looking at this school. The girls I see have tons of money and wear really expensive shoes and coats. Does anyone have any info?

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Sun, Oct 15 2017, 10:08 pm
I've been a parent there for about eight years. Different daughters. Some girls are from very wealthy homes but not all. Some girls wear very high end designer clothing but not all. Some very wealthy girls are very low key ( think old time family wealth and not new money where families just aren't as flashy) and some girls are not wealthy at all.

Some of my daughters friends came from middle income homes with two parents working. Some of them from homes where the father was a Mechanech. Some of the girls went to EY for Sukkos each year to a family apartment and many stayed home and made Pesach. I would venture to say that there were no students whose families were on government assistance but perhaps there are and I just don't know.

I felt less pressure there to buy fancy clothing than I did when my daughters were in elementary school in my working class neighborhood.

It is an excellent school with a phenomenal administration. They take a vested interest in their students while they are MhS students and way after graduation. They run meet the shadchan events for the alumnae a few times a year and actively work to set their girls up. Ms. Friedman Stefansky who is the General studies principal has personally made many shidduchim for her students even while she herself was an older single ( she just got married this June). They administration has been a source of guidance for many of their alumnae both professionally and while they were dating.

Hatzlacha.

amother
Azure

Post Mon, Oct 16 2017, 6:05 am
This thread is almost 2 years old. OP’s dd is already a sophomore, whether at MHS or elsewhere.

doctorima

Post Mon, Oct 16 2017, 8:34 am
Correct, but a new poster bumped it up seeking up-to-date info on the school. Nothing wrong with that.

amother
Pewter

Post Sun, Nov 04 2018, 11:07 pm
doctorima wrote:
Correct, but a new poster bumped it up seeking up-to-date info on the school. Nothing wrong with that.

Another bump here. Have to make decisions, and not much time left.

Does the school care about each girl as an individual (her spiritual and psychological growth and well-being as well as academics), or is it primarily about awards, accomplishments etc. ? There was a lot of emphasis about achievements during the Open House, and little discussion of the derech. There was also no interaction with prospective parents and students or an opportunity for Q & A. This bothered me and my daughter and left us wondering whether this is a reflection of how the school is run. These were our impressions, but we can be totally wrong, of course. Loved the richness of what the school has to offer in terms of content, but not as sure about the process, and its impact on the students.

Need more information please from current parents or recent graduates. Thanks.

amother
Cobalt

Post Sun, Nov 04 2018, 11:24 pm
amother wrote:
Another amother who is NOT a fan. I don't know what the inappropriate comment was but I probably agree... :/

That would make the 3 of us.

amother
Pewter

Post Sun, Nov 04 2018, 11:31 pm
amother wrote:
That would make the 3 of us.

Alternatives to MHS for a very bright, very sincere (in yiddishkeit, and otherwise) girl?

(D'rav Meir is not for us).

amother
Vermilion

Post Wed, May 29 2019, 8:51 pm
Any current info on this school- hanhala, hashkafa, type of girls there?
Is it a good solid school with caring staff?
Pros/cons?

amother
Chartreuse

Post Wed, May 29 2019, 10:14 pm
Going anon because I worked there for several years.

I would not send my daughter there unless my daughter was strong emotionally with good middos, so brilliant that she'd be bored out of her mind by any other school, and able to handle a LOT of academic stress.

I also attended the school but that was many years ago. One thing that hasn't changed is the emphasis on achievement. Please do not send your daughter if she is not an extremely high achiever.

amother
Bronze

Post Thu, Nov 21 2019, 8:13 am
Bump
Looking into this school. Can anyone tell me more about the hashkafa? Do the girls come from Bais Yaakov schools? How frum is the parent body?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics