Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Vaccinations
2 month old with pertussis

amother
OP

Post Fri, May 31 2019, 8:04 am
So we're already a couple of weeks past the worst of it. The worst was when she was just 4 weeks old Sad was awful. B'H it's getting so much better.
I just want to hear from other moms that had infants with the whooping cough- what did you do to make the coughing better... after antibiotics and probiotics ...

And ladies! Get the vaccine when you're pregnant! It's brutal! I got the whooping cough with my baby. And was no fun for me and absolutely frightening for my newborn!!

I somehow missed getting it, and figured I'd be fine because I had gotten the vaccine as a child and by my previous pregnancies. Crying Crying Crying

(And please don't turn this into a vaccine related thread )

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

flowerpower

Post Fri, May 31 2019, 8:05 am
So scary! Was your baby hospitalized? May she have a refuah shlaima!!!!

amother
OP

Post Fri, May 31 2019, 8:11 am
flowerpower wrote:
So scary! Was your baby hospitalized? May she have a refuah shlaima!!!!

We took her in to the ER, and her oxygen was fine bh. And other than her coughing fits- she was doing ok, so they sent us home and told us to keep an eye and come back if it got worse. Banging head They didn't yet know what it was then. Pertussis is hard to diagnose in newborns.

B'H we didn't have to go back. Was some ordeal though!
Now she's just having some coughing attacks- which to us sounds (relatively) great, And to strangers sounds frightening!
Poor baby.

And thank you for the well wishes!

amother
Bisque

Post Fri, May 31 2019, 8:17 am
My son had it many years ago as a baby, but not as young as yours. It took very long to figure out what it was. Hot steam from the shower and a nebulizer with saline helped ease the cough a bit, but it really IS brutal. Refuah shelaima to you and your baby.

amother
Slategray

Post Fri, May 31 2019, 8:22 am
We had that too but close to 7 years ago.

The coughing fits from a newborn were frightening. The nebulizer helped a lot. The baby calmed down instantly and relaxed while on the nebulizer.

If you are giving formula like I was, stop using a milk based formula. The pediatrician explained to me that the milk buildup in the babies body causes congestion.
Aside for using the nebulizer and non dairy formula we did not medicate. (There is medicine in the nebulizer)

FranticFrummie

Post Fri, May 31 2019, 8:28 am
A friend of mine had twins, and they were in the NICU for about 4 weeks. They finally got to bring them home, and a couple weeks later they caught whooping cough. They were being handled by all the relatives.

The babies had to go back into the NICU for another 4 weeks, and it was really scary. For a while they thought they were going to lose one of them. Crying

B'H they survived and are healthy now, but imagine having newborns and not being able to really interact with them much for a good 3 months.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics