Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Getting a US passport in and out of the US

yo'ma

Post Mon, May 20 2019, 6:37 am
I'm just curious how long it took to get and what the process was. I haven't gotten a US passport in the states in a very long time. I recently had to renew one of my children's passports and of course I had to do in the embassy. I don't know how they do it in other embassies, but here you have to go to DHL and get the packing slip first. It wasn't always like that. At one time they had a DHL booth in the embassy. Another time you had to go to DHL afterwards, but now you're supposed to go before.

I think for a visa, you're not allowed to bring a phone at all, but we're allowed to and they keep it in the front by security. You first go to a window and she checks to make sure you have everything and then you have to pay and then you see the consulate and then it comes in about 15 days. Of course you have to wait for your turn to be called between each window, but since it's all appointments, it's not terrible. This last time we were there for an hour from beginning to end. It might have gone faster, but the person in front of us was there with 3 kids and she didn't have all the paperwork.

BTW, this is in Argentina Smile .

amother
Scarlet

Post Mon, May 20 2019, 6:53 am
Where I live in the US it's done in the post office. You schedule an appointment online or by phone, and bring all the forms and photos prepared. They just look it all over to make sure everything is done correctly, and let you know where and when to sign. You pay them for their service, plus include payment separately for the processing of the passport. And they submit the application for you. A few weeks later your passport shows up in the mail. Unless they're backlogged at the post office, it doesn't usually take more than 15 minutes.

MommyM

Post Mon, May 20 2019, 10:30 am
amother [ Scarlet ] wrote:
Where I live in the US it's done in the post office. You schedule an appointment online or by phone, and bring all the forms and photos prepared. They just look it all over to make sure everything is done correctly, and let you know where and when to sign. You pay them for their service, plus include payment separately for the processing of the passport. And they submit the application for you. A few weeks later your passport shows up in the mail. Unless they're backlogged at the post office, it doesn't usually take more than 15 minutes.

I've had similar experiences except that the post office started late and we had the first appointment of the day, so we had to wait until they were ready. Officially, it could take about 6 weeks for the passport, but I've gotten them in the mail about 2 weeks later.

amother
Copper

Post Mon, May 20 2019, 10:41 am
We do ours at the library (in the US). Unlike the post office, there are no appointments. The wait time is variable, but the process itself only takes a few minutes. They do photos there, so it's quite convenient.

yo'ma

Post Fri, May 31 2019, 5:31 am
We ended up getting it in less than two weeks. We went in Monday and got it the following Wednesday.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics