Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Slicing onions vs. whole

soap suds

Post Fri, May 31 2019, 9:34 am
When I cook my fish I always slice the onions. Would it make a difference if I just dropped a whole onion into the pot? Does slicing the onion in any way effect the taste?

JoyInTheMorning

Post Fri, May 31 2019, 9:39 am
soap suds wrote:
When I cook my fish I always slice the onions. Would it make a difference if I just dropped a whole onion into the pot? Does slicing the onion in any way effect the taste?

The more you slice or chop up the onion, the more of an onion taste you'll get. That's because more surface area of the onion is exposed to the cooking liquid.

I also always slice an onion when I cook gefilte fish, but when I cook chicken soup, I leave the onion whole. I do that because that's what my mother did. I wouldn't want to slice the onion in my chicken soup, but I have considered leaving the onion whole in the fish pot. But I'm too much of a traditionalist. Not slicing the onion for fish! I can't go that far. :-D
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen