Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries
Lakewood neighborhoods and schools
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 30 2019, 11:48 pm
DH and I are looking into different communities. We figured we might as well check out Lakewood just because it's what everyone does. DH and I are solidly frum and machshiv Torah, but more middle-of-the-road and American yeshivish than your average Lakewood kollel couple.

Anyway, I wanted to know a few things about Lakewood:
1) is there a neighborhood that has younger couples and shuls that are more our speed?
2) What do people who move to Lakewood do about schools? If DH is not in kollel, does that mean we automatically won't be able to get our kids in anywhere?
3) Can someone give me a baseline comparison of house prices between Lakewood and Brooklyn? (For ex. - give me the same size house and how much it would go for in Lakewood and Brooklyn.)
4) Is there anything in Toms River or Jackson that would be an option? I don't know much about those communities.

Thanks!

Last edited by amother on Sun, Jul 07 2019, 1:04 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Brown

Post Fri, May 31 2019, 1:30 am
I know this is obvious but please do not move to Lakewood until your children all accepted to schools.

amother
Chocolate

Post Fri, May 31 2019, 6:07 am
I'm sure there are good neighborhoods for you in Lakewood. But even if you find them, your kids will be in schools with attitudes that you don't like. But based on your previous threads, I think it would be best for you to move to a oot community (maybe a larger one with more of the conveniences of in town). It's more live and let live. People are less judgemental. Attitudes are vastly different. I'm just afraid if you move to lkwd, you are going from the frying pan to the fire. You seem like a nice, sincere, and not so cynical person. I'm just worried that you may get turned off by Lakewood.

And I don't mean to trash lkwd by this post. There are many good bnei Torah in lkwd (majority). But there are many things there that I think you will be hurt by and don't think it would be great for you to move there.

I also think once the people you hang out with grow up, they will be a lot less hurtful. But that doesn't happen overnight.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Fri, May 31 2019, 7:30 am
I think Lakewood is a good idea.
There are young very frum yeshivish couples I know who moved to Jackson. (1 minute out of Lakewood)

Call a real estate agent for housing ideas.
You can get a decent size house with property at a pretty affordable price.

It’s true that it will be a struggle getting into the larger schools. The newer schools are much easier to get into and many would be a good fit for you.

oneofakind

Post Fri, May 31 2019, 7:41 am
The houses in Jackson are reasonable especially compared to Brooklyn however either they need a lot of fixing or were cheaply cosmetically fixed up by investors for a quick sale and things will fall apart very quickly or you will find deeper problems later on. Regarding schools, even the newer ones, after the first year or two, when they are more open with their acceptances, are the same as the older schools in terms of crowd and rules and attitude.

amother
Jetblack

Post Fri, May 31 2019, 7:48 am
oneofakind wrote:
The houses in Jackson are reasonable especially compared to Brooklyn however either they need a lot of fixing or were cheaply cosmetically fixed up by investors for a quick sale and things will fall apart very quickly or you will find deeper problems later on. Regarding schools, even the newer ones, after the first year or two, when they are more open with their acceptances, are the same as the older schools in terms of crowd and rules and attitude.

That’s so interesting that you say that because my house in Jackson is so much more well built than my brother in law and sister in law’s new Jewish house in Lakewood. They always complain how cheaply the new houses are made.

amother
Hotpink

Post Fri, May 31 2019, 9:11 am
amother [ Brown ] wrote:
I know this is obvious but please do not move to Lakewood until your children all accepted to schools.

My kids are too young for school. One is playgroup-age, the other is babysitter-age.

Last edited by amother on Sun, Jul 07 2019, 1:03 pm; edited 1 time in total

allthingsblue

Post Fri, May 31 2019, 9:14 am
smileforamile wrote:
My kids are too young for school. One is playgroup-age, the other is babysitter-age.

I'll be your friend Smile

I think Jackson could be a good fit. Just make sure you don't end up in a "fancier" area. [quote]

amother
Hotpink

Post Fri, May 31 2019, 9:17 am
amother [ Chocolate ] wrote:
I'm sure there are good neighborhoods for you in Lakewood. But even if you find them, your kids will be in schools with attitudes that you don't like. But based on your previous threads, I think it would be best for you to move to a oot community (maybe a larger one with more of the conveniences of in town). It's more live and let live. People are less judgemental. Attitudes are vastly different. I'm just afraid if you move to lkwd, you are going from the frying pan to the fire. You seem like a nice, sincere, and not so cynical person. I'm just worried that you may get turned off by Lakewood.

And I don't mean to trash lkwd by this post. There are many good bnei Torah in lkwd (majority). But there are many things there that I think you will be hurt by and don't think it would be great for you to move there.

I also think once the people you hang out with grow up, they will be a lot less hurtful. But that doesn't happen overnight.

You're probably right. The problem is, I really don't want to move OOT... I'm OOT-ish, but as I discovered when I dated a really OOT boy, I'm more of a New York-OOT type. I like the hustle and bustle of the city. I also don't really want to leave the tri-state area if I can avoid it.

The only place not in the tri-state area that I'd legitimately consider is Baltimore, but tuition is an absolute fortune there! Over $9K for nursery?! Since when does it take that much money to educate 4-year-olds?

Btw, I'm sincere, but also very cynical- as you might see from many of my posts. It comes from being burned. So you're right, Lakewood might make things worse.

Are there no schools that have a little bit less of a rigid hashkafa but are still very solid?

Last edited by amother on Sun, Jul 07 2019, 1:03 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Hotpink

Post Fri, May 31 2019, 9:18 am
allthingsblue wrote:
I'll be your friend Smile

I think Jackson could be a good fit. Just make sure you don't end up in a "fancier" area.

What "areas" are there in Jackson?

And is there enough of an establishment there -- I.e. mikvah, schools, stores, etc.?

Last edited by amother on Sun, Jul 07 2019, 1:00 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Mustard

Post Fri, May 31 2019, 10:16 am
Im 27. My oldest is going to elementary next year. We are quiet no namers with no yichus and no money. We had no problem getting into school. We were just very realistic about where we fit and strictly applied there. Dont believe everything you hear.

amother
Orange

Post Fri, May 31 2019, 10:24 am
It’s true that many investors have bought up homes in Jackson and put in gorgeous super cheap kitchens and bathrooms. And fancy light fixtures that aren’t included in the sale. We saw a few of those because they are pushing the realtors to show them. They are also pushing up prices.
My friend calls them pigs with lipsticks.
Just make sure what you are getting is good typically older and original is better in this case.

Notsobusy

Post Fri, May 31 2019, 10:38 am
amother [ Chocolate ] wrote:

I disagree. There are so many different schools with different attitudes. I don't really know the newer schools, but from the older schools I would recommend Bnos Brocha for girls, Tashbar or YTT for boys.

smileforamile, I'm sorry I can't give you advice about neighborhoods. I don't know where the young, more open minded yeshiva couples live these days. But I do know there are plenty such couples here.

leah233

Post Fri, May 31 2019, 11:04 am
amother [ Mustard ] wrote:
Im 27. My oldest is going to elementary next year. We are quiet no namers with no yichus and no money. We had no problem getting into school. We were just very realistic about where we fit and strictly applied there. Dont believe everything you hear.

Don't mislead the OP.

You may have had mazal and gotten your child into a school you are happy with .

Plenty of other people had your experience too

Plenty of other people did NOT have such experiences.

Myself included.

I was naive enough to fall for the line of "be realistic and apply to this school..."

Suffice it to say that it was a terrible, terrible mistake...

Chayalle

Post Fri, May 31 2019, 11:11 am
smileforamile wrote:
What "areas" are there in Jackson?

And is there enough of an establishment there -- I.e. mikvah, schools, stores, etc.?

There are so many different areas in Jackson with young people, that your best bet is to speak to a realtor. I'm not even knowledgeable enough to make suggestions, and I have two siblings living in Jackson (really far from each other. One lives closer to me in Lakewood than to the other sister in Jackson.)

There's different Brookwood areas, and White Road area, and Brewer's Bridge area, and others.

In terms of establishments - people go to Lakewood for all of these. For Shabbos it's an issue. Some areas (like Brookwood I, or areas closer to Westgate like White Road) are walkable to Lakewood (like 25 minutes or so).

amother
Jetblack

Post Fri, May 31 2019, 11:15 am
[quote="allthingsblue"]I'll be your friend Smile

I think Jackson could be a good fit. Just make sure you don't end up in a "fancier" area.
Quote:

The “fancier” areas in Jackson are a lot less showy than the developments in Lakewood.

Why am I getting defensive...

amother
Orange

Post Fri, May 31 2019, 11:27 am
amother [ Jetblack ] wrote:
The “fancier” areas in Jackson are a lot less showy than the developments in Lakewood.

It depends what you consider fancy and where you come from.

I have a lovely niece who lives in the area behind the Jackson co op (I think it’s brookewood and the home are fairly inexpensive and simple and the neighbors are yeshivish and not rich). She and her husband are the nicest warmest down to earth people.
But my niece is still busy matching her girls robes, running around to find the perfect hair accessories and perfect matching outfits down to the babies.
She would make a great friendly neighbor. But if you are simple oot the whole obsession is so foreign.

amother
Jetblack

Post Fri, May 31 2019, 11:31 am
amother [ Orange ] wrote:
It depends what you consider fancy and where you come from.

I have a lovely niece who lives in the area behind the Jackson co op (I think it’s brookewood and the home are fairly inexpensive and simple and the neighbors are yeshivish and not rich). She and her husband are the nicest warmest down to earth people.
But my niece is still busy matching her girls robes, running around to find the perfect hair accessories and perfect matching outfits down to the babies.
She would make a great friendly neighbor. But if you are simple oot the whole obsession is so foreign.

Well then I guess it’s just another Lakewood. The nicer areas are mostly not like that.

amother
Jetblack

Post Fri, May 31 2019, 11:43 am
Well then I guess it’s just another Lakewood. The nicer areas are mostly not like that.

Now that I think about it, this probably links to the thread about some yeshivish people being materialistic.

amother
Copper

Post Fri, May 31 2019, 11:48 am

I think there are all types of people all over the place. You can find fancy people in developments and not fancy people in developments.

And while I've heard that there are some that move to Jackson to get away from the pressure of Lakewood (which means different things to different people), there are all kinds of people everywhere.

I have a relative who lives in the "fancier" area in Jackson. And oh boy does she match her kids' headbands to their clothes and their shoes.....
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries