Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Help planning London trip

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 09 2019, 1:46 am
Hi. I'm considering a short mid-week trip to London from Israel with a couple of my older daughters. It would be a 1st trip for us all. Ideally I'd want to see a show in the West End, visit Harry Potter World and see the crown jewels. Is this a feasible itinerary? Any other must-see's? Where would be a reasonably priced place to stay that would be easy for us transportation and kosher food wise? All advice that can help me plan this is appreciated. Thanks!
(Anonymous so surprise doesn't get inadvertently ruined!)

amother
Ginger

Post Thu, May 09 2019, 5:19 am
Sounds so lovely!

Mstay Hotel in Golders Green is a fairly new budget hotel right in the middle of the kosher shops and restaurants. Also a 10 minute walk to Golders Green underground station. I don’t know if they provide a kosher breakfast or not, but the restaurant Soyo is a 3 minute walk away and they do a divine breakfast! It’s on the way to the tube too! There are a load of other restaurants around there as well.

Or there is the Pillar Hotel in Hendon which is kosher but definitely more ££. It’s a 10/15 minute walk from Hendon Central underground station. There are kosher shops and restaurants further up the road - a 5 minute walk.

You can get to Central London very easily via the tube (what we call the underground train!) I am not sure how you get to the Harry Potter experience, but again if via tube then super easy from either location. I’m sure you could fit even more into your time here if coming for a few days.

Have an amazing time- not warm here yet so don’t put away your warm clothes if coming soon!

ImaMum

Post Thu, May 09 2019, 5:22 am
All sounds perfectly feasible and you could probably fit more things in too!

Golders Green is a great location for Kosher food and transport links.

Ive heard good reviews on MStay hotel on Golders Green Road.

Welcome to London! 🇬🇧

Israeli_C

Post Thu, May 09 2019, 5:34 am
Back in the day when London was only a 1 hour flight away, I used to looove going shopping on Oxford Street (Primark, of course, is a MUST!) I wasn't so interested in touristy things, perhaps UK imas can help

Raisin

Post Thu, May 09 2019, 6:13 am
I would definitely stay in Golders Green or Hendon. So much easier foodwise.

I would think you need at least 2 full days to do those things, more if you want to go shopping, and general wondering around. Although I have never been to Harry Potter world I am guessing it is a full day thing.

Raisin

Post Thu, May 09 2019, 6:16 am
Careful which airport you fly into. Factor in cost and time of getting to and from airports.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Thu, May 09 2019, 6:32 am
The one kosher restaurant in Central London - Reubens in Baker Street - has just closed.

(There is hechshered food available at the kosher counter in Selfridges).

amother
Oak

Post Fri, May 31 2019, 5:39 pm
Can you recommend restaurants open Motzei Shabbos in July? Which restaurants do you recommend for during the week?
Any good full day trips outside of London?

amother
Scarlet

Post Fri, May 31 2019, 5:46 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Hi. I'm considering a short mid-week trip to London from Israel with a couple of my older daughters. It would be a 1st trip for us all. Ideally I'd want to see a show in the West End, visit Harry Potter World and see the crown jewels. Is this a feasible itinerary? Any other must-see's? Where would be a reasonably priced place to stay that would be easy for us transportation and kosher food wise? All advice that can help me plan this is appreciated. Thanks!
(Anonymous so surprise doesn't get inadvertently ruined!)

For food pizzaza in golders green

nchr

Post Fri, May 31 2019, 5:48 pm
Use Ubers instead of the "cabbies." I was just in London and spent over $1,000 US in 3 days on taxis alone!

daagahminayin

Post Fri, May 31 2019, 5:57 pm
Fly into Heathrow if possible. The other “London” airports are farther away.

amother
Denim

Post Sat, Jun 01 2019, 10:40 pm
Not sure what age girls you are traveling with but Legoland is really nice. I would also recommend using Uber as its much essier then the public transportation but you may want to at least go once on the double decker bus for the experience.

Raisin

Post Sun, Jun 02 2019, 6:57 am
amother [ Denim ] wrote:
Not sure what age girls you are traveling with but Legoland is really nice. I would also recommend using Uber as its much essier then the public transportation but you may want to at least go once on the double decker bus for the experience.

depending on where you are going the tube can be quicker then a taxi or uber in traffic.

Some nice resturants:

Pizaza for pizza and pasta
Isolobella for milchig
met su yan - asian, sushi, flieshig.
white house - israeli, burgers, etc

There are lots more depending on your taste. Some of these have multiple locations.

You can call them now and ask if they are open motzei shabbos. I have definitely been to some of them on motzei shabbos, but can't remember time of year. Its very possible.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Sun, Jun 02 2019, 8:51 am
Isola Bella is closed.

(It seems that my function on this thread is to announce closures!)

amother
Lilac

Post Sun, Jun 02 2019, 8:57 am
amother [ Mistyrose ] wrote:
Isola Bella is closed.

(It seems that my function on this thread is to announce closures!)

So I’ve heard!

I still like Novelino (delicious dairy right next to it) anyway so I’m not crying.

amother
Lilac

Post Sun, Jun 02 2019, 9:01 am
amother [ Oak ] wrote:
Can you recommend restaurants open Motzei Shabbos in July? Which restaurants do you recommend for during the week?
Any good full day trips outside of London?

Almost all restaurants are open mtshb. Just walk down Golders Green road and you will find many options.

You can go to Warwick castle it’s about an hour out of London.

Kidzaina is in London, as well as a few amusement parks.

Bear in mind that getting around in London takes a lot of time. There can be lots of traffic ect. So even if you go to a place in London it can be a hour away

amother
Sapphire

Post Sun, Jun 02 2019, 10:20 am
I'm planning my own trip right now.

Just note that Harry Potter Studios gets booked far in advance. HP and the Cursed Child is unlikely to have reasonable tickets left, so check the dates on both of these. Also, you may enjoy Buckingham Palace state rooms, which opens to the public several weeks in the summer so look into booking that, too.

I also came across Croft Court Hotel in Golders Green. Poster above, how does it compare to Mstay?

amother
Sapphire

Post Sun, Jun 02 2019, 10:21 am
amother [ Lilac ] wrote:
Almost all restaurants are open mtshb. Just walk down Golders Green road and you will find many options.

You can go to Warwick castle it’s about an hour out of London.

Kidzaina is in London, as well as a few amusement parks.

Bear in mind that getting around in London takes a lot of time. There can be lots of traffic ect. So even if you go to a place in London it can be a hour away

Can I trust Google Maps public transportation travel time predictions? It's fairly accurate in NYC. How is it regarding the Tube?

Also, does Golders Green shut down for Holiday in August the way Stamford Hill does?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics