Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Please explain why a handbag is worth $500?
Previous  1  2  3  4  5

FranticFrummie

Post Sat, Jun 01 2019, 4:23 pm
amother [ Wheat ] wrote:
And it may be that to the extent possible, we are obligated to purchase higher quality products to reduce waste.

Think about it.

I was wearing a shirt the other day, and I realized that its probably older than some posters here. I'm exaggerating. A little. The company closed down in 2004, and I think I bought it at least a couple of years before that. So that shirt is at least 15 years old.

How many cheap shirts would you have gone through in that time?

Are we not better off if we don't fill the landfills with cheap goods?

This is me exactly. I learned from my grandmother to buy things that are timeless, classy, high quality, and to take good care of them. I learned about different fabrics, upkeep, and how to figure out what to pay for them.

"Fast fashion" was always a frivolous purchase, just for a rare treat. Even then, it had to match several things I already owned so I could mix and match.

Say for example, you buy a pair of shoes in Italian leather, with excellent arch support, and the type of soles that can be replaced by a good cobbler. You get them on sale for $400. These shoes should last you 10 years - so that means that each year you could buy a $40 pair of cheap shoes that will hurt your feet and fall apart, or you can have your lovely shoes that make you happy.

Same with handbags. If the handbag will last 20 years or more with good care, then divide the cost by the number of years you expect to be using it.

I also use the same formula for winter coats, housewares, pretty much anything.

Even when I shop in thrift stores, I've developed a "quality radar". I can spot a silk blouse, cashmere sweater, or fine wool skirt from across a crowded store.

If you looked into my closets, you could not tell what era my clothing is from. Nothing that I own screams 70's, or 80's, or 90's. Some of my clothes are vintage, many are designer, and almost all of them are very high quality. I rarely buy anything new, unless a staple in my wardrobe has literally worn out beyond repair.

southernbubby

Post Sat, Jun 01 2019, 10:13 pm
With regards to clothes, people often change sizes so sometimes they won't get their money's worth out of quality clothes but at least those clothes have resale value.

nylon

Post Sat, Jun 01 2019, 10:35 pm
Expensive handbags aren't really my thing, but I will say this, the good quality leather goods are better made and last longer. (What I would give for the old Coach bags now...) Since I'm the type who buys an everyday bag and uses the same one every day, it really pays for me to spend that bit extra. Yes, you're paying for design, but also better materials and workmanship. at the very highest end, you're paying for work that is done in small factories in Italy and not shipped out to China--the labor costs are very high.

Of course there are also bags where the work is nothing special, and what you are paying for is the designer label.

Frumwithallergies

Post Sun, Jun 02 2019, 12:06 am
I love my Knomo Electronista but wish they made it a little bigger. Does anyone know of any other or similar bags? It's my everday, go to bag.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Sun, Jun 02 2019, 12:37 am
amother [ Sapphire ] wrote:
It never ceases to amaze me how judgmental we are of one another.

If something speaks to you and you can afford it-good for you. Enjoy B'simcha.

If the thrill of a sales are something you enjoy, fabulous.

If you have no desire for material luxuries-awesome.

If your personal wealth and satisfaction is not financial based (amazing kids/great marriage/chelek in OHB) -also amazing.

(Disclaimer-I did NOT just say that if you have great kids you can't have a fabulous handbag or CVS that if you have a handbag that your kids are by definition, inferior).

Hashem made us all different. We all have different qualities, gifts, needs and opinions. We bring different things and perspectives to His world. If He wanted us to all be the same, we would be-Hashem doesn't make mistakes.

And Tnius police-maybe worry more about your own tongue and typing fingers than what others are wearing/carrying. (Unless you are responsible for chinuch and enforcing the dress code in HS-then please, go about your job.)

Applause Applause Applause
This post should be pinned on top of all the other threads So so true

Fox

Post Sun, Jun 02 2019, 1:35 am
southernbubby wrote:
With regards to clothes, people often change sizes so sometimes they won't get their money's worth out of quality clothes but at least those clothes have resale value.

Interestingly, I think my handbags are among my most liquid assets. I could easily get 75-90 percent of what I paid for them, and one is unusual enough that I could probably make a profit.

Like FF, I'm a big believer in resale shops, thrift shops, consignment shops, etc. You find amazing things that simply aren't sold anymore.

Fast fashion is like junk food, and it's even worse for those of us who aren't really into fashion, because we aren't necessarily knowledgeable about how clothing and accessories manufacturing works. The business model is based on releasing new styles every 2 weeks! So things look outdated very, very quickly. Corners are cut in every conceivable place, so nothing ever quite fits right or is consistently flattering. As a result, the consumer is never truly satisfied.

Whether you own a $500 handbag or a Coach Classic snagged on eBay for $10 or even carry your possessions in a grocery bag, breaking the buying cycle is the foundation of a less materialistic life.

southernbubby

Post Sun, Jun 02 2019, 7:32 am
Fox wrote:
Interestingly, I think my handbags are among my most liquid assets. I could easily get 75-90 percent of what I paid for them, and one is unusual enough that I could probably make a profit.

Like FF, I'm a big believer in resale shops, thrift shops, consignment shops, etc. You find amazing things that simply aren't sold anymore.

Fast fashion is like junk food, and it's even worse for those of us who aren't really into fashion, because we aren't necessarily knowledgeable about how clothing and accessories manufacturing works. The business model is based on releasing new styles every 2 weeks! So things look outdated very, very quickly. Corners are cut in every conceivable place, so nothing ever quite fits right or is consistently flattering. As a result, the consumer is never truly satisfied.

Whether you own a $500 handbag or a Coach Classic snagged on eBay for $10 or even carry your possessions in a grocery bag, breaking the buying cycle is the foundation of a less materialistic life.

When I lived in Detroit, I heard Rabbi Lauer and Rabbi Bernham address the issue. Buy what you need, once and for all, but then stop wanting more.
Shopping became an escape and a sport for many people but now the malls are closing however the thrill of the hunt has continued for many online. Now after years of unnecessary credit card bills and wasted time and space, more people are convinced that quantity wise, less is more and advice about basic capsule wardrobes built from better quality clothes are popping up everywhere. (These wardrobes are for the clothes we wear in public and not what we wear for the baby to spit up on.)
Page 5 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5 Recent Topics