Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Long lasting sunblock
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jun 02 2019, 1:54 am
Posting anonymously because I discussed this in real life.
5 year old DS is extremely fair and although summer is barely starting, he comes home practically every day sunburned. I feel like it's worse this season than ever before. In addition, his face is fully freckled as a result of sun exposure, despite him barely being exposed to the sun yet this season.
I wish there's a permanent sunscreen/sunblock (I'm just vaguely aware of the difference; fill in the blank of the appropriate word) that I can apply once at the beginning of the summer to last all season.
He'll be heading off to a full day day camp program shortly and even if I apply sunscreen before he leaves to camp each morning, most likely it will not be reapplied throughout the course of the day. If I'm lucky enough to have reliable counselors taking care of him, MAYBE they'll reapply it before swimming.
Any suggestions? Any recommendations of excellent long lasting sunblock?

chanatron1000

Post Sun, Jun 02 2019, 2:13 am
I'm not sure that this is helpful, but the physical sunblocks (zinc oxide/titanium dioxide) are usually stronger compared to the chemical ones (oxybenzone, etc.) but sometimes leave a white cast; the white cast is usually a disadvantage, but it can also help show when it is time to reapply.

Sunny Days

Post Sun, Jun 02 2019, 3:19 am
Oh op, I’m with you. Looking for that as well. I’ll be following this thread.

yerushamama

Post Sun, Jun 02 2019, 3:41 am
Aren't there shirts etc with decent SPF ratings? For most of his body, that would probably be the best bet. I have very fair skin - as a kid, my pediatrician used to put on my camp forms that I was allergic to the sun- and I use Neutrogena Age Shield SPF 110. For a full day, it would still need to be reapplied, but try teaching him to do it himself.

essie14

Post Sun, Jun 02 2019, 7:00 am
My 2 yr old is VERY fair. I apply sunblock in the AM and her gannenet reapplies when the kids go outside.

amother
Firebrick

Post Sun, Jun 02 2019, 7:44 am
Maybe try one that's made for babies?

amother
Purple

Post Sun, Jun 02 2019, 7:50 am
I've been using the stick and ask him to reapply. The stick is easier to reapply than cream or spray.

seeker

Post Sun, Jun 02 2019, 8:52 am
Talk to the camp director about making sure the counselors reapply sunblock regularly to ALL students. While we're at it, water breaks too. My kids' camp as well as those I've worked in have this policy and it is enforced by the leadership.

seeker

Post Sun, Jun 02 2019, 8:53 am
Also, get some cute hats.

amother
Maroon

Post Sun, Jun 02 2019, 8:59 am
Some of my kids camps have policies that the counselors will not put sunscreen on the kids, (as to avoid anything that might lead /be seen as inappropriate) Can't Believe It . Gets me so upset!! Talking about little kids who can’t re-apply themselves. Every sunscreen I’ve seen says to re-apply every 2 hours. I put on in the morning & daven for the best...

amother
Mauve

Post Sun, Jun 02 2019, 9:17 am
OP, get him a stick sunscreen and teach him to reapply himself. He should wear a rashguard to swimming and wear a suncap all day.
My kids counselor's don't apply sunscreen because it takes very long to apply on all kids.

Brownies

Post Sun, Jun 02 2019, 9:20 am
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Riema.....r=8-3

Is this available where you are? I’ve never used it myself but I know others who have and say it’s effective. It’s not cheap though..

seeker

Post Sun, Jun 02 2019, 9:51 am
amother [ Maroon ] wrote:
Some of my kids camps have policies that the counselors will not put sunscreen on the kids, (as to avoid anything that might lead /be seen as inappropriate) Can't Believe It . Gets me so upset!! Talking about little kids who can’t re-apply themselves. Every sunscreen I’ve seen says to re-apply every 2 hours. I put on in the morning & daven for the best...

What the why? Sunscreen is only applied to places that are exposed anyway. It is also done in a group setting with other children and staff present. This policy actually has the opposite effect for me and indicates that this place has no idea about actual safety.

yerushamama

Post Sun, Jun 02 2019, 10:53 am
Sunscreen needs to be applied over the entire body, not just exposed areas, for people who are very sensitive to the sun.

seeker

Post Sun, Jun 02 2019, 11:17 am
That would be the exception, not the rule.
Most clothes will block most harmful rays. Some have specific UV ratings, and that would be a good solution for people who are concerned about counselors reapplying.

amother
Pearl

Post Sun, Jun 02 2019, 11:18 am
Sunscreen can be considered an over-the-counter drug that schools and daycares can't apply without parental permission. That is as stupid as it sounds, letting kids get sunburn and other ill effects of sun exposure, all in the name of safety, but it is the reality in some places.

seeker

Post Sun, Jun 02 2019, 11:22 am
Getting parental permission for this should be a no-brainer and could even be required for inclusion in the camp. I've seen parents sign away liability for their kids' lives to various sporting and activity venues, why would they suddenly have an issue with sunscreen?

amother
Pearl

Post Sun, Jun 02 2019, 11:35 am
My point is that they don't ask by default. The only issue with sunscreen could be a possible allergy, and in that case, it comes up with all the other allergies.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jun 02 2019, 1:22 pm
Brownies wrote:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Riemann-P20-Hours-Protection-Sunscreen/dp/B00APL4KXC/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?keywords=p20&qid=1559481567&s=gateway&sr=8-3

Is this available where you are? I’ve never used it myself but I know others who have and say it’s effective. It’s not cheap though..

I love this!!! Exactly what I'm looking for. Will read reviews and try it! Thanks so much.

Amelia Bedelia

Post Tue, Jun 09 2020, 12:20 am
Op here. I really appreciate the recommendation for Riemann P20. I used it all summer but am having trouble finding it for a price that is not an absolute rip off. I purchased it last year for $20-25 but am finding it now for double the price.

Does anyone know of something comparable, or can help me find a website where I can purchase this? Most of the websites I found selling it are European sites who are not shipping to the US.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics