Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Showing your kids non jewish bible songs

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jun 02 2019, 8:38 am
My kids love watching DVDs. We recently got a book from the dollar tree that had a story from the Torah (Joshua's shout) and it seemed to stick to the text.

They found a DVD inside and are watching it. It seems to stick to the story as I know it, except for saying everything in English. Should I take it away?

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Jun 02 2019, 8:50 am
I would.

giselle

Post Sun, Jun 02 2019, 8:53 am
My son used to watch veggie tales (I think that was the name) and I realized that they talked about biblical stories, so I made him stop right away. I would not trust secular* sources as they’ll likely give over a skewed version.

*Eta - More likely, Christian.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jun 02 2019, 8:57 am
I think it's Christian and I took it away and cracked it in half

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jun 02 2019, 9:05 am
I wish that there were more Jewish dvds that were Torah based. Instead of random performances. My kids love Torah stories acted out. They were really enjoying it and I wish there was a Jewish one. It didn't even have animation- it was just pictures of a book.

trixx

Post Sun, Jun 02 2019, 9:43 am
Have you seen young Abraham

amother
Smokey

Post Sun, Jun 02 2019, 9:52 am
Considering how anti everyone was about the Morman tznius song, you are not going to get an OK on this site.

Personally, I would watch it and if I didn't have any objections to the content and felt it's portrayal was consistent with our teaching, I would let my kids watch it.

I am a little less cynical than most and tend to look for beauty, common ground, respect, and understanding.

sequoia

Post Sun, Jun 02 2019, 9:59 am
Yes, Veggie Tales is xtian. Was that not clear? Smile

DrMom

Post Sun, Jun 02 2019, 10:03 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
My kids love watching DVDs. We recently got a book from the dollar tree that had a story from the Torah (Joshua's shout) and it seemed to stick to the text.

They found a DVD inside and are watching it. It seems to stick to the story as I know it, except for saying everything in English. Should I take it away?

I would of course screen material from non-Jewish sources for objectionable motifs or themes or messages.

Sounds like you did that and did not find anything objectionable, so I do not see the issue.

giselle

Post Sun, Jun 02 2019, 10:20 am
sequoia wrote:
Yes, Veggie Tales is xtian. Was that not clear? Smile

Well obviously it was once I saw it Wink

I just meant that at first I just thought it was another cute kids’ show.

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Jun 02 2019, 12:48 pm
I'm still confused about what was so offensive about the Joshua CD.

IMHO, as long as they stay out of the new testament stuff, and it's not wildly inaccurate, it should be OK.

Of course, always pre screen everything. Even from trusted Jewish sources, a story might be too scary for your kid, and you should hold it back for a year or so.

The first time I saw Veggie Tales, I laughed so hard I cried. I thought it was satire, because who on earth would expect anyone to be inspired by a pickle? LOL

smss

Post Sun, Jun 02 2019, 12:52 pm
OP, torahtreasure.com has what you are looking for.

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Jun 02 2019, 2:58 pm
amother [ Smokey ] wrote:
Considering how anti everyone was about the Morman tznius song, you are not going to get an OK on this site.

Personally, I would watch it and if I didn't have any objections to the content and felt it's portrayal was consistent with our teaching, I would let my kids watch it.

I am a little less cynical than most and tend to look for beauty, common ground, respect, and understanding.

It's not cynicism. I think it's lovely that there's a market in the greater world for it.
We will manage without it. We manage without many things. That's mesirus nefesh for the 21st century and I'm not being facetious.

soap suds

Post Sun, Jun 02 2019, 3:05 pm
amother [ Smokey ] wrote:

What Morman tznius song? Was there a thread on here about it that I missed? Now you got me curious.

Fox

Post Sun, Jun 02 2019, 6:02 pm
One of the problems of being in galus is that we don't always recognize the influence of other religions when we encounter it. So we end up freaking out over a non-objectionable retelling of a story from Navi because of the source, but we eagerly share opinions on Imamother -- under our screen names, no less -- that are based more on Protestant Puritanism than on Torah.

Honestly, I don't think it matters one way or the other. I actually long for the days when movie studios produced spectacles based on Chumash and Navi. I remember as a kid being enchanted by The Story of Ruth, which I came across on a Sunday afternoon. A friend of mine from a Chassidish background claims she was an adult before she realized Charleton Heston wasn't Jewish. These movies weren't part of a "faith-based" niche; they were seen as having value for everyone. And if they weren't strictly accurate, well, they were movies -- not a Chumash lesson.

Your kids probably wouldn't have been permanently scarred by listening to it, and they won't be permanently scarred by not listening to it. The key is not to allow it to become a form of frum virtue signalling. Too many people go nuts over stuff like this and then come on Imamother to declare that their money is their own, so they can do what they want with it.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics