Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
How would u phrase the text message ?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jun 02 2019, 8:00 pm
Ok all you socially savvy imas- I need your help!
I invited a fascinating couple whos in the process of becoming frum to come to us for yom tov. 2 of my neighbors heard and invited us out because were having this company- 1 family is having the grandparents who know this couple from the community where they live so the figured they would have us (I have never eaten there before and being invited there out of the blue would have been quite odd) and the 2nd family is the rav. Weve eaten there before but the main reason for the invite was our company. This couple just cancled on me due to a family death Sad
How do I tell the families we were eating at that they cancled without them feeling pressure to have us anyway?

mishpacha1

Post Sun, Jun 02 2019, 8:15 pm
Maybe ask them if you guys can do another week all together with them?

mom!

Post Sun, Jun 02 2019, 8:22 pm
Just call and say "just wanted to let you know to expect less people than I originally to as our company has canceled. Looking forward to seeing you on yomtov".

amother
Jetblack

Post Sun, Jun 02 2019, 8:24 pm
Do you not want to go out to these families if they would still like to host you or are you ok going, just don’t want them to feel pressured to have you?

How about something like this: unfortunately the X family won’t be joining us for shavuos due to a death in their family. We’re hoping to have them over for a different shabbos sometime soon. Should I let you know when they will be coming so we can try to reschedule our meal together for the shabbos they will be here?

amother
Mauve

Post Sun, Jun 02 2019, 8:27 pm
Let them know the family cancel due to a death and ask if they want to raincheck for when the come to you next time. They will either say sure, great, or don't be silly, we are looking forward to having you.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Jun 02 2019, 8:32 pm
Sadly the x family had to cancel due to a death in their family. We'll hold off on the meal together until they are able to join us for another shabbos. Enjoy your shavuos!

If they still want to have you over, they will let you know that.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jun 02 2019, 11:03 pm
Thank you so much mauve and ra mom. I wrote exactly that. Sorry they cant make it, hopefully next time they are in town etc...
She wrote back she hopes well join anyway. So were going to go even thou we wouldn't have gone otherwise, maybe its a good opportunity to be social and friendly with the neighbors that we have less to do with ....
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette