Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
Neuro or psych recommendation to get ASD diagnosis
1  2  Next

amother
Periwinkle

Post Fri, Aug 03 2018, 3:12 pm
Help!! I am looking to get more services for my son, and would like to get him a diagnosis of ASD in order to get more services. He has many of the symptioms, however he is very connected and seeks social interaction so it's like maybe more Asperger's? I don't know!! All I know is that I was told byy therapists that it won't be so easy to get him the diagnosis unless I go to the right person who will give it.... she told me that some nuerologists as know to give the diagnosis freely and that I should ask around but honestly I don't know where to ask? Anyone have any leads please?? Location is BP but willing to travel to Manhattan or downtown bklyn, also don't want to have to wait too long for an app because I want to start services asap!!

amother
Royalblue

Post Fri, Aug 03 2018, 4:29 pm
You are looking for a dr to give the diagnosis you want? Doesn't make any sense to me. Why are you so sure he has ASD or Aspergers? Don't be so quick to label him. This is for life.

amother
Gold

Post Fri, Aug 03 2018, 4:32 pm
Dr Grossman , Neurologist in Long Island

He will rule out other possible diagnosis first

mha3484

Post Fri, Aug 03 2018, 4:39 pm
My child has moderate-severe ADHD and there is a lot of overlap between that and High Functioning Austim. We did both a full eval with a developmental pediatrician and a neuro psych eval with a psychologist to confirm that we are only dealing with ADHD not ASD. I am not in NY to give you names but you should not assume he is on the spectrum until you see a professional.

potatoes

Post Fri, Aug 03 2018, 4:44 pm
Unfortunately in NYC to get services, you need diagnosis.
Even ADHD- it has proven that ABA can help that as well, but currently the BOE and insurance only cover ABA for ASD.
Similar symptoms can also be severe sensory processing issues.
Point is, the kid needs help and the mother is trying her best to get the kid the help he needs.
Labels mean little in life, it just helps create a plan for the kid.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Fri, Aug 03 2018, 4:47 pm
potatoes wrote:
Unfortunately in NYC to get services, you need diagnosis.
Even ADHD- it has proven that ABA can help that as well, but currently the BOE and insurance only cover ABA for ASD.
Similar symptoms can also be severe sensory processing issues.
Point is, the kid needs help and the mother is trying her best to get the kid the help he needs.
Labels mean little in life, it just helps create a plan for the kid.

Yes ....

amother
Periwinkle

Post Fri, Aug 03 2018, 4:48 pm
If you are not comfortable posting it here( which is not a public forum)
I can make an email address....

amother
Periwinkle

Post Sat, Aug 04 2018, 9:40 pm
Bumping this thread up
Gut voch to all

amother
Honeydew

Post Sat, Aug 04 2018, 10:51 pm
Dr Koslowitz in Lakewood does this type of evaluating. You get a full report with tons of recommendations for your parenting, the school, and his therapists and the diagnosis you need for the Board of Ed. That's who I used.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Sat, Aug 04 2018, 10:54 pm
Thanks so much for responding
For insurance would like to see if can find somewhere in NY

amother
Honeydew

Post Sat, Aug 04 2018, 11:02 pm
amother wrote:
Thanks so much for responding
For insurance would like to see if can find somewhere in NY
your insurance covers it? Mine said that it's educational not medical so they didn't even cover a penny........Dr. K's office was very nice about providing receipts etc and in the end, I got most of it covered by Catastrophic, but it was a whole procedure until they covered it. Still, it was a good experience because his ABA team was very happy to follow all the recommendations of the report and it also got the school on board. Once the school is cooperating, it's a whole different story.

amother
Burgundy

Post Sat, Aug 04 2018, 11:03 pm
NYU has a sliding fee, check it out

amother
Violet

Post Sun, Aug 05 2018, 12:11 am
Dr. Yuberman is the one you are looking for. He takes all insurance and works out of sunny down state hospital. He has a frum secretary that helps keep the kids comfortable and speaks yiddish. 7182708823

amother
Burlywood

Post Sun, Jun 02 2019, 10:38 pm
I am looking for something like this for my son in Lakewood

Anyone have a recommendation who takes Amerigroup Family Care

amother
Ginger

Post Sun, Jun 02 2019, 10:55 pm
Just an FYI, NJ Family Care (which includes Amerigroup MCD, Horizon NJ Health, Aetna Better Health, and UHC Community Plan) does NOT cover ABA in NJ....

amother
Burlywood

Post Mon, Jun 03 2019, 12:30 am
amother [ Ginger ] wrote:
Just an FYI, NJ Family Care (which includes Amerigroup MCD, Horizon NJ Health, Aetna Better Health, and UHC Community Plan) does NOT cover ABA in NJ....

So what route would you recommend?

Is there any psych or behavior services that they cover?

amother
Amber

Post Wed, Dec 11 2019, 7:21 am
amother [ Violet ] wrote:
Dr. Yuberman is the one you are looking for. He takes all insurance and works out of sunny down state hospital. He has a frum secretary that helps keep the kids comfortable and speaks yiddish. 7182708823

Is Dr. Huberman a neuropsychologist? From my quick Google search it doesn't look like it.

If I'm ready to spend the $5K pricetag for a good neuropsych eval, who is someone really good to go to? NYU Child Study Center?

Thanks!

amother
Silver

Post Wed, Dec 11 2019, 7:36 am
For a diagnosis, try Rebecca Soffer. She’s in the Yeled V’Yaldah building. She gave me a diagnosis and my son is doing well with ABA services. It’s just a label to help the kid.
I went to the NYU Child Study Center. Both my son’s school (who initially recommended them) and I were not satisfied there. I’d look elsewhere for a more comprehensive eval.
Good luck!

amother
Amber

Post Wed, Dec 11 2019, 9:30 am
We've seen Rebecca Soffer a week ago. She is probably going to give him an Autism Spectrum diagnosis. She saw us and him for all of an hour. It seemed more like a guessing game. If she checks enough boxes she'll go with Autism.

oneofakind

Post Wed, Dec 11 2019, 9:47 am
In Lakewood, even if you have an ASD diagnosis, the local agencies don't accept JerseyCare. You would have to purchase private insurance. They would help you with that.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)