Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Vaccinations
Everyone over 40 needs another mmr?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

mema613

Post Sun, Jun 02 2019, 3:40 pm
In 60s never had measels but got shots in the 1960s and my titres showed I'm immune

dee's mommy

Post Sun, Jun 02 2019, 3:50 pm
I am 41, and was advised to have a second MMR. (I got one when I was a child, and in those days, that was what was done.)

amother
Smokey

Post Sun, Jun 02 2019, 4:02 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Hugs hugs. This must be so difficult. I hope all goes well.
Don't you just want to bash them up?

Whoaaaaa aggressive! LOL

I am so beyond annoyed and frustrated and sad. It doesnt help that a) I'm home alone with my 2yo. b) I'm in my 3rd trimester. c) I have perinatal depression, which I now dont have a cuddle-buddy on a daily basis to help me. d)shavuos is asap, and my husband is away this entire week until very late Friday afternoon

amother
Burgundy

Post Sun, Jun 02 2019, 6:09 pm
nchr wrote:
Every single person I know IRL who tested titers has been immune except for one person born in the late 80s.

My 23 and 29 yr old sisters both tested not immune despite being immunized. 40yr old uncle came down with then measles and has been vaccinated too.

amother
Rose

Post Sun, Jun 02 2019, 6:20 pm
Plenty of people aren't immune to mumps even with reccommended vaccines. I don't know if it's the person or the vaccine, but mumps is common to be hit or miss.

JoyInTheMorning, 30% not immune to measles is way more than the 97% effective the CDC claims. How are so many vaccinated people not immune?

amother
Silver

Post Sun, Jun 02 2019, 6:38 pm
44 year old - got tested and not immune. took the mmr

amother
Silver

Post Sun, Jun 02 2019, 6:40 pm
also my 17 year old son's bloodwork showed that he was not immune to rubella even though he's had 2 mmrs in the past. Dr gave him another mmr

amother
Papaya

Post Sun, Jun 02 2019, 7:21 pm
Early 40s, fully vaccinated. Titers showed immunity to rubella but not measles or mumps.

nchr

Post Sun, Jun 02 2019, 8:26 pm
amother [ Rose ] wrote:
Plenty of people aren't immune to mumps even with reccommended vaccines. I don't know if it's the person or the vaccine, but mumps is common to be hit or miss.

JoyInTheMorning, 30% not immune to measles is way more than the 97% effective the CDC claims. How are so many vaccinated people not immune?

2 MMRs provide just 80 to 85% of people with lifetime protection to mumps.

JoyInTheMorning's 30% includes individuals who 1. Have an uncertain vacation status; 2. May have been given the ineffective vaccine; 3. May have been born before the vaccine and considered immune; 4. May have received only one; 5. People who are really immune but got false negatives. The 97% effective is the right number.

When DH went to check his titers the dr said almost everyone he tested was immune and surprisingly his only patient who had the measles was someone in his late 60s who had believed he had the measles as a child.

amother
cornflower

Post Mon, Jun 03 2019, 3:23 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Att non vaxers
Remember shabboss, when we all stood around yakking? No one said a word about vacs. ,because we are the better ones. You cry and pity yourself when we kept quiet because we are the bigger person.

But know this. When we see you so sweet and kind it means nothing. We think of you as dumb, selfish and mean.
We are just being extra kind to you. So stop complaining in public and here on imamother.
Every word that gets written here is what we would like to tell you in person.

JUST WOW

yerushamama

Post Mon, Jun 03 2019, 3:30 am
I haven't been tested for measles or mumps, but in my last pregnancy, the tests showed that I am not immune to rubella. However, since I was immunized twice as an adult (lost immunization records and a mumps outbreak in college), I was told that I can not be revaccinated. Has anyone else ever heard of that?

amother
Mint

Post Mon, Jun 03 2019, 4:34 am
Is anyone here from the UK? The MMR vaccine was introduced in the UK in 1988.

I am 42 and did not get the vaccine.

I've never had measles. I've had mumps. I've been vaccinated against rubella.

Does anyone know if the measles vaccine was routinely given in the late 70's/ early 80's in the UK?

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Jun 03 2019, 4:35 am
yerushamama wrote:
I haven't been tested for measles or mumps, but in my last pregnancy, the tests showed that I am not immune to rubella. However, since I was immunized twice as an adult (lost immunization records and a mumps outbreak in college), I was told that I can not be revaccinated. Has anyone else ever heard of that?

No, but I'll ask. Is it just for rubella or mumps and measles also?

nchr

Post Mon, Jun 03 2019, 4:56 am
yerushamama wrote:
That you cannot or that it is not considered necessary to vaccinate additional times? The latter is common medical opinion on the matter.

amother
Rose

Post Mon, Jun 03 2019, 5:36 am
Why there's no single vaccine, only combo, I will not understand. I would love to have just a rubella vaccine but no such thing in US.

nchr

Post Mon, Jun 03 2019, 5:38 am
amother [ Rose ] wrote:
Why there's no single vaccine, only combo, I will not understand. I would love to have just a rubella vaccine but no such thing in US.

Why? There is nothing wrong with get a measles or mumps vaccine when already immune from prior vaccination.

amother
Rose

Post Mon, Jun 03 2019, 5:43 am
nchr wrote:
Why? There is nothing wrong with get a measles or mumps vaccine when already immune from prior vaccination.

There is something wrong for those of us who want to minimize the toxic load on our body, getting an MMR for just rubella, or a DTaP for just Tetanus. It's called unnecessary.

nchr

Post Mon, Jun 03 2019, 5:53 am
amother [ Rose ] wrote:
There is something wrong for those of us who want to minimize the toxic load on our body, getting an MMR for just rubella, or a DTaP for just Tetanus. It's called unnecessary.

Medicine is not going to create something that could lead to a public health crisis (I.e. people giving just rubella instead of the measles and then having thousands of measles cases annually) when it is unnecessary because there is no "toxic load" or difference between the "load" when shots are combined. You are going to have almost identical or identical amounts of sodium or potassium phosphate (which are not toxic) in a single rubella vaccine as you would in the combined MMR. By combining the vaccines, you're able to make sure people receive protection to more viruses.

Also, the separate vaccines that once existed were considered to actually result in more side effects and be more problematic than the combined vaccine (I.e. the separate mumps vaccines contained strains of the virus which were less effective or more potent). Also, getting three separate shots is more likely to result in higher fevers, more seizures, etc. It would require six injections instead of two and if spread out or skipped, would leave children without the protection to certain viruses.

There may be a good argument for having a single dose rubella vaccine simply because of its use in pregnant women, but right now the MMR seems to be fine.

amother
Royalblue

Post Mon, Jun 03 2019, 5:54 am
amother [ Rose ] wrote:

I would say "read the package insert for list of potential side effects that clearly do happen to some people" but that would make me a crazy anti-science person who wants to murder people. DO.NOT.QUESTION. NEVER.READ.THE.PACKAGE.INSERT.FROM.THE.FDA. If you do, you are anti-science.

To your point NCHR, you take a drug if you have to, and you don't if you get no benefit out of it, since then the risk of side effects win in the risk/benefit equation. Wait! I just said sometimes you shouldn't get a vaccine your bloodwork shows you don't need! There I go with my anti-science again. OPPOSITION.MUST.BE.PUT.DOWN.

nchr

Post Mon, Jun 03 2019, 5:56 am
amother [ Royalblue ] wrote:
I would say "read the package insert for list of potential side effects that clearly do happen to some people" but that would make me a crazy anti-science person who wants to murder people. DO.NOT.QUESTION. NEVER.READ.THE.PACKAGE.INSERT.FROM.THE.FDA. If you do, you are anti-science.

To your point NCHR, you take a drug if you have to, and you don't if you get no benefit out of it, since then the risk of side effects win in the risk/benefit equation. Wait! I just said sometimes you shouldn't get a vaccine your bloodwork shows you don't need! There I go with my anti-science again. OPPOSITION.MUST.BE.PUT.DOWN.

Sorry, I may not have understood what you were saying, but if someone needs immunity to the Rubella component of the vaccine, then they are benefitting through being given the vaccine - and it is not pointless. There is no greater risk from the MMR than from a single dose rubella vaccine - and in fact - since the MMR has been better studied than a single dose vaccine - it is likely the MMR is safer and more easily tolerated than a single dose rubella vaccine. There is no different risk/benefit.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics