Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
ISO clean, interesting books from library
1  2  Next

allthingsblue

Post Mon, Jun 03 2019, 6:17 am
Anyone have recommendations?
Nothing too sad, please.
I enjoy historical fiction as well as well written, clean contemporary novels.

amother
Beige

Post Mon, Jun 03 2019, 6:22 am
Try books by Lynda Cohen Loigman. I think that's her name. Historical fiction.

gingertop

Post Mon, Jun 03 2019, 6:44 am
Hillary Mantel books, especially Wolf Hall.

librarylady

Post Mon, Jun 03 2019, 10:25 am
Are you open to reading sophisticated middle-grade novels? I've found that's the highest you can go before everything starts going downhill.
One of my personal favorites is the Mysterious Benedict Society series. Some other good ones include Fish in a Tree; Counting by Sevens; Front Desk; When You Reach Me...there are lots more, lmk if you want to hear them!

bbhem5

Post Mon, Jun 03 2019, 11:59 am
I just read Savng Sarah. It's the true story of a mother and her colleagues fighting the system to get lungs for a deathly ill child with CF. Completely clean. I definitely cried but I would not call it sad.

allthingsblue

Post Mon, Jun 03 2019, 1:23 pm
Thank you, I will look into these.

smss

Post Mon, Jun 03 2019, 2:36 pm
Have you already read Pride and Prejudice? I recently re-read it and enjoyed it so much.
To Kill a Mockingbird? The Help? The Kitchen House?

For more contemporary, Maeve Binchy's books are pretty clean and enjoyable. Diane Chamberlain is another great writer but her books are less clean.

whewpy

Post Mon, Jun 03 2019, 3:33 pm
Library Lady, I have read the ones u mentioned and enjoyed immensely. Any more recommendations?

librarygirl

Post Mon, Jun 03 2019, 3:42 pm
Not library lady but continuing the middle school trend: out of my mind, the war that saved my life, listen to the moon, the night diary, red butterfly

librarylady

Post Mon, Jun 03 2019, 3:55 pm
whewpy--
Try these:
Hello Universe (and her other books); Navigating Early; Wonder; Holes; Fuzzy Mud; The War that Saved My Life (the sequel is kind of eh); Johnny Tremain; Pax; Echo; What We Found in the Sofa and How it Saved the World if you like sci-fi, and if you like fantasy at all--Ella Enchanted, Dragon Slippers, The Girl Who Drank the Moon, and Princess Academy are sweet Smile
There's more where that came from (I just scrolled through my "read" shelf in goodreads)--I tried to pick out some of the more sophisticated ones but others are also fun to read Smile

amother
Beige

Post Mon, Jun 03 2019, 3:58 pm
Blackout and the sequel All Clear by Connie Willis. Absolutely clean.

whewpy

Post Mon, Jun 03 2019, 4:30 pm
We have same taste in reading. Read all u mentioned except the sci fi one

amother
Jade

Post Mon, Jun 03 2019, 5:16 pm
Have you tried Jennifer Chiaverini? She writes historical fiction. Her revolutionary war/civil war fiction is very clean.

librarylady

Post Mon, Jun 03 2019, 6:41 pm
lol! maybe I should ask you for recommendations too, then!
These aren't quite at the clean level of the others--I wouldn't necessarily give them to a kid to read (ie, gay side characters)--but have you tried The Truth as Told by Mason Buttle, or All Rise for the Honorable Perry T. Cook?
Or how about Gordon Korman's books? Ungifted, Supergifted, Schooled, Restart...
Also: The Girl Who Could Fly; The Seventh Most Important Thing; The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane; Book Scavenger series; Mr. Lemoncello's Library series; Artemis Fowl series; Among the Hidden & sequels; The True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle; Tuck Everlasting

allthingsblue

Post Mon, Jun 03 2019, 7:31 pm
I'm in the process of placing books on hold at the library. Thanks for all the suggestions. Librarylady, just wanted to let you know that if there's anyone whom I'd want to answer a thread like mine, it'd be someone with your username! Thanks for the suggestions Smile

Frumwithallergies

Post Tue, Jun 04 2019, 3:42 am
librarylady wrote:
lol! maybe I should ask you for recommendations too, then!
These aren't quite at the clean level of the others--I wouldn't necessarily give them to a kid to read (ie, gay side characters)--but have you tried The Truth as Told by Mason Buttle, or All Rise for the Honorable Perry T. Cook?
Or how about Gordon Korman's books? Ungifted, Supergifted, Schooled, Restart...
Also: The Girl Who Could Fly; The Seventh Most Important Thing; The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane; Book Scavenger series; Mr. Lemoncello's Library series; Artemis Fowl series; Among the Hidden & sequels; The True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle; Tuck Everlasting

My daughter loves some of these books. I'm going to recommend the others to her. Thanks!

DrMom

Post Tue, Jun 04 2019, 4:27 am
smss wrote:
Have you already read Pride and Prejudice? I recently re-read it and enjoyed it so much.
To Kill a Mockingbird? The Help? The Kitchen House?

For more contemporary, Maeve Binchy's books are pretty clean and enjoyable. Diane Chamberlain is another great writer but her books are less clean.

Two excellent and timeless novels with vivid characters.

allthingsblue

Post Tue, Jun 04 2019, 4:31 am
DrMom wrote:

I've read the first (and loved it) and reserved the second to read.
Can someone enlighten me: I have a distaste for books with hopeless plots and bitter characters. Is To Kill a Mockingbird that sort of book, or is it a happier sort of book?

Israeli_C

Post Tue, Jun 04 2019, 4:49 am
oops wrong thread

Last edited by Israeli_C on Tue, Jun 04 2019, 5:57 am; edited 1 time in total

smss

Post Tue, Jun 04 2019, 5:38 am
DrMom wrote:

Yes! I love both and will read them again and again!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room