Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
When someone forgets they met you
Previous  1  2

amother
Lemon

Post Sun, Jun 02 2019, 8:43 pm
How about saying: you look so familiar, And then mention the place where you met and see if it rings a bell for her.

mema613

Post Sun, Jun 02 2019, 9:34 pm
I always also felt that I was the only one with such trouble recognizing faces. Now a days sometimes I tell people that I am not great at this so if I meet them again and dont greet them, they should remind me who they are. I dont want people to think I an snobbish.

ima22

Post Sun, Jun 02 2019, 10:09 pm
Happens to me ALL THE TIME! No advice. Honestly, sometimes insulted/hurt. But I've learned that it's not personal.

MiracleMama

Post Sun, Jun 02 2019, 10:29 pm
nchr wrote:
I'd just pretend I'm meeting her for thr first time too!

Usually I do this. Unless I need to make conversation (say we're sitting next to each other at a table) then reminding her that we know someone in common/ we're at the same place before, etc. is a good starting point to strike up conversation. But if it's just a casual introduction in a crowd, I pretend I don't know them from before either.

Rubber Ducky

Post Sun, Jun 02 2019, 10:40 pm
There's a lot of us here who can't remember faces! Me too, and it's really embarrassing. Just today I didn't recognize a new design client's MIL — who has been an acquaintance for over 10 years!

amother
Slategray

Post Mon, Jun 03 2019, 8:02 am
My visual memory is bad altogether. I dont remember things if I dont see them in front of me. Someone asked me all kinds of detail questions about how my house looks and I went blank! I made something up. When I got home and was in my house only then did I know the answers. I do remember almost exactly what I hear ( audio recall)

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Jun 03 2019, 9:19 am
I have a terrible memory for names. I warn people up front, "I will forget your name, so please bear with me if I keep asking."

I can't even imagine being face blind. A friend of mine has it really bad. One day she almost took the wrong kid home from gan. Surprised

Her husband is really great at easing things for her socially. If I'm supposed to meet them somewhere, and I walk into the room, he'll say "Oh look, here comes FranticFrummie." or something like that.

invisiblecircus

Post Mon, Jun 03 2019, 9:23 am
"We've met before :-) 2 years ago on the X project. It's nice to see you again!"

amother
Slategray

Post Mon, Jun 03 2019, 9:45 am
Once I saw a teenager who looked like my daughter from a distance. I waved to her thinking it was my daughter. When she came closer, I realized she wasnt!

BadTichelDay

Post Mon, Jun 03 2019, 11:40 am
I've got almost no face recognition ability. On a test for prosopagnosia I scored positive. It does lead to embarassing situations, in the neighborhood, at work and so on.
If I see people from work in a different setting, let's say in a mall, I often don't recognize them.
There are people on our street that I have lived next to for years and I still don't recognize them or get them mixed up. If we go to smachot, whenever possible, I ask dh to point out relevant people to me (like the mother, sister etc of the bride) and then memorize their dress to recognize them through the evening...
Luckily, dh looks quite distinct - got no problem identifying him ...

Last edited by BadTichelDay on Mon, Jun 03 2019, 11:44 am; edited 1 time in total

urban gypsy

Post Mon, Jun 03 2019, 11:43 am
nchr wrote:
I'd just pretend I'm meeting her for thr first time too!

So would I. OP, why is it so important to you that she acknowledge that you've met before? Who cares? Are you embarrassed for her? For yourself? I don't get it.

amother
cornflower

Post Mon, Jun 03 2019, 12:55 pm
The title is wrong for those that are face blind. I don't forget that I met a person. I can't identify them by their face. There is a difference.

Once I place a person, I remember every little detail of our meeting.

finallyamommy

Post Mon, Jun 03 2019, 1:16 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
I have a terrible memory for names. I warn people up front, "I will forget your name, so please bear with me if I keep asking."

I can't even imagine being face blind. A friend of mine has it really bad. One day she almost took the wrong kid home from gan. Surprised

Her husband is really great at easing things for her socially. If I'm supposed to meet them somewhere, and I walk into the room, he'll say "Oh look, here comes FranticFrummie." or something like that.

I don't think you ever forgot my name!
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette