Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
Fattening food for toddler
1  2  Next

devorah1231

Post Mon, Jun 03 2019, 12:01 pm
My son (1.5 years) is a piglet. Everyone makes fun of how much he eats. But he is barely on the chart weight wise, and the doctor told me to feed him more fattening foods. I don't fry, and my house is pretty healthy. Any ideas for fattening foods that are easy to prepare for one kid?

eagle

Post Mon, Jun 03 2019, 12:09 pm
Avocados are great. Smoothies are a great easy way to get your toddler to drink his/her calories. I've never tried it but maybe you could incorporate avocados in fruit smoothies?

devorah1231

Post Mon, Jun 03 2019, 12:18 pm
eagle wrote:
Avocados are great. Smoothies are a great easy way to get your toddler to drink his/her calories. I've never tried it but maybe you could incorporate avocados in fruit smoothies?

Avocado sounds good plain, I've tried avocado in smoothies and personally though it was gross because it isn't sweet.

mha3484

Post Mon, Jun 03 2019, 12:23 pm
When I had an older baby that needed to gain, the Dr told me to put olive oil on all his cooked food. It worked great. I also gave him an avocado for breakfast everyday.

Rutabaga

Post Mon, Jun 03 2019, 12:26 pm
Whole milk yogurt! You can buy plain or Greek and add your own flavors instead of the sugary stuff they sell for kids.

Stars

Post Mon, Jun 03 2019, 12:35 pm
scrambled eggs with cheese cooked in olive oil. good kind of cheese not the junk.

chatz

Post Mon, Jun 03 2019, 12:37 pm
Avocado
Whole milk yogurt, plain leben
For older toddlers, easier to chew nuts like pecans and walnuts

trixx

Post Mon, Jun 03 2019, 12:42 pm
Hummus
Bamba for a snack
Peanut butter
Use coconut oil

sky

Post Mon, Jun 03 2019, 12:45 pm
I’m trying to fatten up my 9 month old who is falling off the charts and was efb until now.
He hates avocado and scrambled eggs.

I’ve been feeding him the normans whole milk Swiss yogurts and whole milk Greek yogurts which he loves.
He also loves hamburgers (problem is I use lean or 1/2 chicken)
Whole wheat bread with peanut butter.

But I also can’t think of other healthy fattening foods to help him put on weight.

devorah1231

Post Mon, Jun 03 2019, 12:52 pm
sky wrote:
I’m trying to fatten up my 9 month old who is falling off the charts and was efb until now.
He hates avocado and scrambled eggs.

I’ve been feeding him the normans whole milk Swiss yogurts and whole milk Greek yogurts which he loves.
He also loves hamburgers (problem is I use lean or 1/2 chicken)
Whole wheat bread with peanut butter.

But I also can’t think of other healthy fattening foods to help him put on weight.

My doctor said to cook differently for my son, that I should fry his chicken.
Why don't you buy fattier meat, one package, and freeze in mini bags, and make him one full fat burger per meal?

urban gypsy

Post Mon, Jun 03 2019, 12:59 pm
My pediatrician advised full fat dairy
Lots of good suggestions here

sky

Post Mon, Jun 03 2019, 1:01 pm
devorah1231 wrote:
My doctor said to cook differently for my son, that I should fry his chicken.
Why don't you buy fattier meat, one package, and freeze in mini bags, and make him one full fat burger per meal?

You are right I should. I have to switch to that mode.

Rappel

Post Mon, Jun 03 2019, 1:04 pm
Baby formula in a cup? It's a great little nutrition shake.

dragoneye126

Post Mon, Jun 03 2019, 1:29 pm
I’m in the same boat, plus some food allergies. It’s hard to make separate meals for my baby, so I try to serve her normal food plus something fatty at every meal. For example, chicken and vegetables with hummus to dip, or pasta tossed with schmaltz or olive oil. Even Cheerios get mixed up with peanut butter and coconut oil, or sometimes a small snack can be just a spoonful of peanut butter (so messy, but yum, just need to supervise).

I do also make some separate foods for her, but usually just higher-far versions of things I’m already making for my family (ex: matzah balls with schmaltz instead of oil, smoothies with extra peanut butter or tehina).

My biggest challenge is increasing the fat in her diet without adding too much sugar, so I’ll be following to see if anyone had good ideas for savory foods.

newbie613

Post Mon, Jun 03 2019, 9:00 pm
I never ate avocado growing up and have no idea how to pick it and serve it. So mothers who give it to their babies- can you give me step by step instructions?

yidisheh mama

Post Mon, Jun 03 2019, 9:18 pm
A teaspoon of coconut/ olive/ avocado oil into each serving of cooked food. Home-made coconut chocolate pudding as a snack-many recipes available online. Nuts (sliced almonds if he's too young to handle whole nuts)/ nut butters, seeds. Whole milk, dairy soups with heavy cream. Dark chicken, not the breasts. Lots of carbs- whole grains...

teachkids

Post Mon, Jun 03 2019, 9:31 pm
the classics are avocado and peanut butter. whole milk + dairy products.
What about ice cream or just frozen yogurt smoothies?

Chana Miriam S

Post Mon, Jun 03 2019, 9:35 pm
sugar. I just want to point out that the foods suggested (except starchy sugary ones) are how I have lost 90 pounds.

also,has he been checked for type 1 diabetes? that is also characterized by severe weight loss and inability to absorb food energy as mentioned by another poster.

Last edited by Chana Miriam S on Mon, Jun 03 2019, 9:40 pm; edited 3 times in total

ectomorph

Post Mon, Jun 03 2019, 9:37 pm
devorah1231 wrote:
My son (1.5 years) is a piglet. Everyone makes fun of how much he eats. But he is barely on the chart weight wise, and the doctor told me to feed him more fattening foods. I don't fry, and my house is pretty healthy. Any ideas for fattening foods that are easy to prepare for one kid?

This is concerning. Has he been checked for celiac?

I suspect malabsorption issues. How is his poop?

chatz

Post Mon, Jun 03 2019, 10:00 pm
newbie613 wrote:
I never ate avocado growing up and have no idea how to pick it and serve it. So mothers who give it to their babies- can you give me step by step instructions?

I give it to my babies/toddlers plain.

You need to wait till they're softish. The ones here turn dark dark green when they're ripe. I cut in half (there's a pit in the middle) and scrape with a spoon and feed my toddler straight. No prep.

They're often hard and light green in the store. Leave them with a few bananas to ripen. Not in the fridge. (Once they're ripe and softish they can be refrigerated.) If you buy in Costco, their avocados are usually excellent.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics