Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> The Imamother Writing Club
How and when to request raise for articles.

amother
Khaki

Post Tue, Jan 08 2019, 3:05 pm
I started writing for a magazine 1 1/2 years ago. Since then I’ve written for others a few times but I’m mainly sticking with my first magazine.

I don’t have a steady topic and I don’t do weekly. I take on whatever interests me. But I know they like my pieces since they often request that I be the one to write certain pieces. I also know from insiders that they like my writings style.

I generally enjoy writing but it’s often just not worth the time.

How long into your writing career can you ask for a raise (currently getting the standard 10 cents per word)? And how much of a raise is appropriate?

amother
Teal

Post Tue, Jan 08 2019, 3:30 pm
AFAIK, freelance article writers don't get a raise. The rate is the rate. They like you, but there are plenty of other writers out there, so you have no leverage to push for more money. Leave it be, and enjoy your writing!

Signed,
Another Well-Liked Writer

amother
Khaki

Post Tue, Jan 08 2019, 3:32 pm
amother wrote:
AFAIK, freelance article writers don't get a raise. The rate is the rate. They like you, but there are plenty of other writers out there, so you have no leverage to push for more money. Leave it be, and enjoy your writing!

Signed,

It’s freelancing as in I only accept whatever I want. It’s not freelancing as in submitting my own pieces.

If they ask me to take on a writing assignment, can’t I ask for more?

amother
Olive

Post Tue, Jan 08 2019, 3:52 pm
amother wrote:
It’s freelancing as in I only accept whatever I want. It’s not freelancing as in submitting my own pieces.

If they ask me to take on a writing assignment, can’t I ask for more?

Why not. Say I'm looking for 12c word now, and see what they say.

If you are convinced that your writing is bringing in more ad revenue and subscription sales - they will want to keep you happy.

amother
Khaki

Post Tue, Jan 08 2019, 4:05 pm
amother wrote:
Why not. Say I'm looking for 12c word now, and see what they say.

If you are convinced that your writing is bringing in more ad revenue and subscription sales - they will want to keep you happy.

Probably should’ve mentioned it in the first post, but my friend is an editor there and says they wouldn’t want me to get writing burnout. So if I ever feel like I’m being stretched too thin, they’ll make it work for me.

Just not sure what the norm is. The current rate is bubkes compared to the time I invest in each piece.

Writergirl

Post Tue, Jan 08 2019, 6:04 pm
amother wrote:

Signed,

This has not been my experience. I recently raised my rates in a few magazines I write for. It was just a few cents more per word bit for long articles it makes a difference.

Good luck!

amother
Olive

Post Tue, Jan 08 2019, 6:23 pm
amother wrote:
Probably should’ve mentioned it in the first post, but my friend is an editor there and says they wouldn’t want me to get writing burnout. So if I ever feel like I’m being stretched too thin, they’ll make it work for me.

Just not sure what the norm is. The current rate is bubkes compared to the time I invest in each piece.

so you are working very hard for not a lot of money. sounds like you are stretched too thin.

zissy2004

Post Mon, Jun 03 2019, 12:54 pm
Def ask for more! The worst they can say is no. I write for the secular outlets and 10 cents a word is considered really little...

Rappel

Post Mon, Jun 03 2019, 1:06 pm
zissy2004 wrote:
Def ask for more! The worst they can say is no. I write for the secular outlets and 10 cents a word is considered really little...

10 cents is standard in Jewish publications
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> The Imamother Writing Club