Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Shaitel = long full perfect hair, just wig = natural look ?
Previous  1  2  3  4

PinkFridge

Post Fri, May 31 2019, 8:26 am
keym wrote:
I disagree strongly. I'm 35 (give or take). When I go shopping, many clothes are more appropriate for my daughter (14) or my mother (pushing 60).
OP to answer your question, my experience is that many women as they get older, their shaitels get shorter, less elaborate, more conservative. I really don't know many of my mothers friend 50-70 who wear long, glamorous shaitels. They tend to wear above the shoulder or even closer to the chin, gently waved or feathered- not full on curls.
And the few "older" women who wear such youthful styles in shaitels, clothes, jewelery, and makeup get teased by their friends- trying to chase the Fountain of Youth.

But a lot of these older women are wearing age appropriate wigs re style also wearing very dark colors. You see women in their 70s who are wearing dark brown. I guess in the world at large, women are dyeing their hair too instead of letting it go natural.

dancingqueen

Post Fri, May 31 2019, 9:16 am
amother [ Lilac ] wrote:
Wig styles mimic current fashions mostly. I never really watched movies as a kid growing up in the 80s/90s and I watched home alone when I was an adult and I remember being surprised at how much the mothers hair resembled the sheitals people wore when I was a child.

The long wavy styles popular now are common with current non Jewish celebrities.

The ultra glam long and wavy styles you see on sheitals now WERE popular in the earlier aughts with celebrities etc. Since then shorter styles, such as lobs and bobs have been more popular.

amother
Mauve

Post Fri, May 31 2019, 9:21 am
Fwiw, my opinion is that as we age, our faces lose the firm, lifted look of youth. Therefore a shorter style with more height, texture, and layers/angles lifts the face and shows off the features in a more flattering way. Highlights (a combination of colors near the face) are also more flattering than straight brown or straight blond on a mature face. Thinning hair that is losing color is not complimentary to an aging face, so as long as it is styled and colored appropriately, a thicker wig can look very flattering and appropriate on an older woman.

Women should wear what makes them look beautiful and dignified at their age. They shouldn't buy shaitels (or clothes) to represent what everyone thinks they "should" look like. But an older woman shouldn't buy a wig of a twenty year old, simply because it will not enhance her beauty or dignity.

For older women to realize what will look beautiful on them, they need modeling, just like we do at any stage. If we put out specifically frum fashion magazines and Instagram posts representing an older population, wearing clothing and hairstyles that looked beautiful on the models, older women would have "permission" to pursue what truly enhances their beauty at that stage of life.

Unfortunately, culture worships and promotes youth, so aging women are "forgotten" in the style world, and left to figure it out for themselves.

FranticFrummie

Post Fri, May 31 2019, 10:05 am
I blame Instagram for this.

Whether we like it or not, a lot of frum women are "Keeping up with the Kardashians."

When was the last time you saw a frum Instagrammer who had a moderate length sheitel? When sheitelmachers want to show off their skills, what length do they photograph the most often? (I'll give you a hint - it's not a bob.)

amother
Aubergine

Post Fri, May 31 2019, 10:26 am
amother [ Mistyrose ] wrote:
But why a women in her 60 wants to do it with the hairstyle of 20 years old girl ? Not so modest girl I would add - long and curly and very blond Smile

Why not? It is her body not yours. Unclear why you care? 🤔

amother
Aubergine

Post Fri, May 31 2019, 10:31 am
keym wrote:
I disagree strongly. I'm 35 (give or take). When I go shopping, many clothes are more appropriate for my daughter (14) or my mother (pushing 60).
OP to answer your question, my experience is that many women as they get older, their shaitels get shorter, less elaborate, more conservative. I really don't know many of my mothers friend 50-70 who wear long, glamorous shaitels. They tend to wear above the shoulder or even closer to the chin, gently waved or feathered- not full on curls.
And the few "older" women who wear such youthful styles in shaitels, clothes, jewelery, and makeup get teased by their friends- trying to chase the Fountain of Youth.

I am 48 this year and only like to wear long sheitels. I am not chasing the “Fountain of Youth” but I do need to chase my toddler. Not all women of a “certain age” want the bubbe look.

amother
Aubergine

Post Fri, May 31 2019, 10:36 am
amother [ Mauve ] wrote:
Fwiw, my opinion is that as we age, our faces lose the firm, lifted look of youth. Therefore a shorter style with more height, texture, and layers/angles lifts the face and shows off the features in a more flattering way. Highlights (a combination of colors near the face) are also more flattering than straight brown or straight blond on a mature face. Thinning hair that is losing color is not complimentary to an aging face, so as long as it is styled and colored appropriately, a thicker wig can look very flattering and appropriate on an older woman.

Women should wear what makes them look beautiful and dignified at their age. They shouldn't buy shaitels (or clothes) to represent what everyone thinks they "should" look like. But an older woman shouldn't buy a wig of a twenty year old, simply because it will not enhance her beauty or dignity.

For older women to realize what will look beautiful on them, they need modeling, just like we do at any stage. If we put out specifically frum fashion magazines and Instagram posts representing an older population, wearing clothing and hairstyles that looked beautiful on the models, older women would have "permission" to pursue what truly enhances their beauty at that stage of life.

Unfortunately, culture worships and promotes youth, so aging women are "forgotten" in the style world, and left to figure it out for themselves.

I love it when people tell me what I “shouldn’t” wear. 🙄 I am not interested in other people’s “modelling” because other people’s hair styles/clothes doesn’t interest me. I believe strongly in each to their own. I am not going to start wearing a shorter hair style because the frum fashion police tell me to do so. I do see older women promoted though. There are plenty of older celebrities in fashion and style articles.

Ruchel

Post Mon, Jun 03 2019, 4:07 pm
Actresses do wigs that look natural, and/or gorgeous and unreal
Random people do too
Translating won't change
The same way "petite" is short, not something s-xy
Page 4 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4 Recent Topics