Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
Fattening food for toddler
Previous  1  2

monkeys

Post Mon, Jun 03 2019, 10:02 pm
ectomorph wrote:
This is concerning. Has he been checked for celiac?

I suspect malabsorption issues. How is his poop?

Some people are just genetically skinny. Why does this have to be concerning? My kids are tiny (second percentile literally) but eat well and my pediatrician is not at all concerned. We’re just small people.

devorah1231

Post Mon, Jun 03 2019, 11:26 pm
monkeys wrote:
Some people are just genetically skinny. Why does this have to be concerning? My kids are tiny (second percentile literally) but eat well and my pediatrician is not at all concerned. We’re just small people.

A couple of relatives have expressed concern that he may not be absorbing food properly, after seeing him eat. My baby's cousin is a month younger, eats maybe 1/4 as much, and weighs 2 pounds more. I brought it up to the doctor at his visit today.

The doctor asked me to up the calories and come back for a reweigh soon. She isn't jumping to have him evaluated because:

1 - he has always been consistently small, no major jumps on the chart
2 - I was small as a kid, and also had a good metabolism
3 - B"H he is otherwise healthy and meeting milestones, and not crazy short either

She wants to see if eating more fattening food can make him gain weight. If it can't, I'm guessing we will have to do some tests. He poops maybe twice a day on average, usually pretty wet but not like diarrhea, and not crazy big.

The truth is, while he eats a lot, he isn't eating super high calorie foods most of the time. We have no candy rules, he eats tons of cereal, I have always watered down juice in the past, he eats lots of egg whites and applesauce. Hopefully changing his diet will change things.

He certainly seems to be enjoying the change to full juice Smile.

ddmom

Post Mon, Jun 03 2019, 11:37 pm
Nuts are a great source of fat and vitamin!
You can add finely ground almond to applesauce!
When I was a kid I sometimes had macaroni with sugar and almonds! (doesnt sound so heatlthy but really good and super fattening! LOL )

yidisheh mama

Post Mon, Jun 03 2019, 11:42 pm
monkeys wrote:

You're right that it's not always a concern. One of my kids is off the charts weight wise, and neither I nor the pediatrician is concerned about it at all, because her weight has been following the same trend since infancy. My next one was a concern at some point because she was in the 78th percentile, then dropped to 60, 45 then 30 in just a few months as an infant.
But this thread is about a mom that does seem concerned and wants her child to gain weight (as per pediatrician's advice). Which is why I responded with ideas on that as opposed to my opinion on whether she should or shouldn't try to get her toddler to gain some weight.

yerushamama

Post Mon, Jun 03 2019, 11:45 pm
Has the doctor asked you to keep a food diary? My first was like this from the age of ten months - would put away a quarter of a chicken, plus sides, at a sitting! Once I started to keep track, we realized that while he was eating more than usual for his age, it was mostly protein and produce, so he wasn't actually getting so much more, calorie-wise.

monkeys

Post Mon, Jun 03 2019, 11:47 pm
devorah1231 wrote:
A couple of relatives have expressed concern that he may not be absorbing food properly, after seeing him eat. My baby's cousin is a month younger, eats maybe 1/4 as much, and weighs 2 pounds more. I brought it up to the doctor at his visit today.

The doctor asked me to up the calories and come back for a reweigh soon. She isn't jumping to have him evaluated because:

3 - B"H he is otherwise healthy and meeting milestones, and not crazy short either

She wants to see if eating more fattening food can make him gain weight. If it can't, I'm guessing we will have to do some tests. He poops maybe twice a day on average, usually pretty wet but not like diarrhea, and not crazy big.

The truth is, while he eats a lot, he isn't eating super high calorie foods most of the time. We have no candy rules, he eats tons of cereal, I have always watered down juice in the past, he eats lots of egg whites and applesauce. Hopefully changing his diet will change things.

I wouldn’t be overly concerned, but of course you’re doing the right thing by being cautious! I would only up healthy fats if I were you. Juice has no nutritional value at all. Try incorporating nut butters, bamba, avocado and whole milk products. No need for white flour, sugar and junk food if he’s happy without. Keep in mind that he may not gain with the added fat and can still be perfectly healthy. Do the testing but don’t freak out.

monkeys

Post Mon, Jun 03 2019, 11:54 pm
yidisheh mama wrote:
You're right that it's not always a concern. One of my kids is off the charts weight wise, and neither I nor the pediatrician is concerned about it at all, because her weight has been following the same trend since infancy. My next one was a concern at some point because she was in the 78th percentile, then dropped to 60, 45 then 30 in just a few months as an infant.
But this thread is about a mom that does seem concerned and wants her child to gain weight (as per pediatrician's advice). Which is why I responded with ideas on that as opposed to my opinion on whether she should or shouldn't try to get her toddler to gain some weight.

Sorry if it came across wrong. I was responding to another poster. As a mom of skinny kids, I thought it’s nice to help another mom stay calm.

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Jun 04 2019, 12:28 am
newbie613 wrote:
I never ate avocado growing up and have no idea how to pick it and serve it. So mothers who give it to their babies- can you give me step by step instructions?

https://www.wikihow.com/Buy-a-Good-Avocado

devorah1231

Post Tue, Jun 04 2019, 12:31 am
yerushamama wrote:
Has the doctor asked you to keep a food diary? My first was like this from the age of ten months - would put away a quarter of a chicken, plus sides, at a sitting! Once I started to keep track, we realized that while he was eating more than usual for his age, it was mostly protein and produce, so he wasn't actually getting so much more, calorie-wise.

No but she asked me to list what his food for the day was like so she could see he eats balanced diet. Cereal, milk, yogurt breakfast, cheese or egg sandwiches for lunch (when he is home) meat/chicken and side for supper, he eats like an adult, though obviously not quite as much.

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Jun 04 2019, 12:45 am
My mom mixed peanut butter and honey (half and half) and made me sandwiches on whole wheat bread. I absolutely loved it as a between meal snack.

I found out recently that PB/honey sandwiches are given to workers who are in calorie burning jobs, like deep sea drilling and search and rescue teams.

ectomorph

Post Tue, Jun 04 2019, 7:42 am
devorah1231 wrote:

I hope the change in diet will help. Glad that you're on top of it.

My kids tend to be underweight, but they don't eat that much food either, and while they don't have malabsorption issues, they are very sensitive and frequently get diarrhea. It has improved a lot in my oldest whose weight is starting to normalize, so I'm hoping my younger ones will grow out of it as well.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Tue, Jun 04 2019, 12:49 pm
chatz wrote:
Avocado
Whole milk yogurt, plain leben
For older toddlers, easier to chew nuts like pecans and walnuts

Haven't read the whole thread, sorry but it's very dangerous to give any kinds of nuts or almonds to any child below 5 or 6 years old. Ground nuts will be OK I think. Hot dogs should not be slanted but cut into strips. Forget pomegranades or grapes too.

devorah1231

Post Sat, Jun 22 2019, 11:54 pm
By the way, something I think is working, and super easy - I started giving my toddler regular blue milk with heavy cream instead of just buying red. This way I only have to buy one bottle, the cream lasts a while and it s really fattening.

mommyloves

Post Sun, Jun 23 2019, 12:06 am
Chocolate milk
Pasta with butter and cheese
Juice
Peanut butter sandwiches
Smoothies made with full fat yogurt and peanut butter
Whole milk

naomi2

Post Sun, Jun 23 2019, 8:10 pm
So many good suggestions but the biggest one is the celiac test. I'm actually annoyed at your dr because there is a simple preliminary blood test he can do in his office to at least start testing for celiac. Why would he wait, what does he lose by testing? I would go back and insist on testing.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics