Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
Which groups have Minhag for girls to light shabbos candles

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jun 02 2019, 4:35 pm
Besides chabad, who else has the minhag for unmarried singles girls at home lighting shabbos candles?

amother
Amber

Post Sun, Jun 02 2019, 4:39 pm
Those who have some chabad in the family. Like my niece who's gramdmother was chabad though her grandfather wasn't and the minhag passed mother to daughter.

amother
Lemon

Post Sun, Jun 02 2019, 4:42 pm
My mother became a Baalas Teshuva through both Chabad and Bobov (Rebbe Naftuli came to my parents wedding), and asked her Bobov "family" about lighting candles at age 3.

Apparently, her source said that "in the alter heim" all the chassidish groups did it, but only Lubavitch kept it in America.

So, with those influences in mind, my mother taught my sisters and me to light as young girls. I was the only non-Lubavitcher in my mixed-but-mostly-yeshivish OOT class to light on school Shabbatonim and such.

That being said, my sister went to a Bobov sleepaway camp as AFAIK none of the young girls there lit...

Ah, the life of a bas-BT-cholent-of-minhagim kid Very Happy
Love you, Mommy

amother
Gold

Post Sun, Jun 02 2019, 4:45 pm
I know this is not exactly what you're asking but practically speaking- everyone did until there was a psak during financially dire times that last pennies shouldn't be spent on candles for girls, and the candles of the woman of the house is bedieved enough for the house.

amother
Mauve

Post Sun, Jun 02 2019, 4:53 pm
Certain rebbish families do.

I am from the Twerski family and the girls in our family start lighting 2 candles when they are bas mitzvah.

amother
Turquoise

Post Sun, Jun 02 2019, 5:28 pm
amother [ Lemon ] wrote:
My mother became a Baalas Teshuva through both Chabad and Bobov (Rebbe Naftuli came to my parents wedding), and asked her Bobov "family" about lighting candles at age 3.

Apparently, her source said that "in the alter heim" all the chassidish groups did it, but only Lubavitch kept it in America.

So, with those influences in mind, my mother taught my sisters and me to light as young girls. I was the only non-Lubavitcher in my mixed-but-mostly-yeshivish OOT class to light on school Shabbatonim and such.

That being said, my sister went to a Bobov sleepaway camp as AFAIK none of the young girls there lit...

Ah, the life of a bas-BT-cholent-of-minhagim kid Very Happy
Love you, Mommy

Very interesting. I don't know anyone in Bobov whos girls light. But someone ipthread mentioned Rabbi Twerskys family and it just so happens that Reb Shloima Halberstam (Reb Naftulas father) were cousins with the Twerskys. I was in sleepaway camp with many Bobover Rebbish grand daughters as well as Twerskys and none of them lit either .

Ruchel

Post Mon, Jun 03 2019, 4:11 pm
False false false. Not all heimishe or chassidishe did it in Europe. If anything, less.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Mon, Jun 03 2019, 4:17 pm
Lev tahor Rolling Eyes

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jun 03 2019, 8:14 pm
amother [ Gold ] wrote:
I know this is not exactly what you're asking but practically speaking- everyone did until there was a psak during financially dire times that last pennies shouldn't be spent on candles for girls, and the candles of the woman of the house is bedieved enough for the house.

This is so interesting. What year was this psak?

amother
Burgundy

Post Mon, Jun 03 2019, 8:24 pm
Amother turquoise, I went to viznits camp many many years ago and the Twersky einiklach did light 2 candles.

amother
Smokey

Post Mon, Jun 03 2019, 8:45 pm
amother [ Periwinkle ] wrote:
Lev tahor Rolling Eyes

Is that true or necessary??

amother
Azure

Post Mon, Jun 03 2019, 8:47 pm
All the viznitze rebbishe girls light candles. I don't know where it comes from. The Bobove rebbishe girls do NOT light. I guess it's got to do with their yichus.

Chabad girls only light one candle. I didn't know rebbish girls light two.

amother
Smokey

Post Mon, Jun 03 2019, 8:52 pm
We light 1 from little, little on, think 2-3yo (holding Mommy's arm), until we are lighting 2 for our household (married or single).
Mind you,I do not add a candle when a child is born unless I missed lighting that week. My girls light 1now as well.

No idea where it comes from.

amother
Yellow

Post Mon, Jun 03 2019, 10:23 pm
I heard that Belz grandchildren and those that are distantly related (I guess grandchildren of a Rebbe in the dynasty) light, but it isn't a very strong minhag.

abound

Post Tue, Jun 04 2019, 1:17 am
lots of rebbishe kids light but usually from Bas Mitzvah not 3 years old, and they light 2 not one.

Teomima

Post Tue, Jun 04 2019, 5:38 am
I'm DL and as a kid my school's bat mitzvah gift to the girls was a single candlestick. This was a regular Israeli co-ed mamad elementary school. I lit one candle from bat mitzvah till marriage.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note