Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Major pet peeve
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8

amother
Blush

Post Wed, Jun 05 2019, 7:40 pm
moonstone wrote:
Oh, I understand the Yinglish, that's not the problem. When I read a sentence like "My sister stayed by me all week besides for Sunday," I know what the person means. It's just terrible English and makes them sound like they just got off the boat. Nails on a chalkboard!

Speaking of always using “I” instead of “me,” I just came across a perfect example in another thread... (name of mother removed).

<<Matzah>>

Cheiny

Post Wed, Jun 05 2019, 7:42 pm
Laiya wrote:
This is somewhat of a misconception. There is a certain subset of people who are excellent readers but lousy spellers. You can't draw a conclusion about one's reading ability, or how often they read or how well-read they are, based on their spelling.

I’m not the one who made the conclusion, researchers did.

Amelia Bedelia

Post Wed, Jun 05 2019, 8:19 pm
amother [ Smokey ] wrote:
I don't do patent law. The MBE on the bar exam is multiple choice. There are essay portions on some state exams, but it's a rush to issue spot; you're definitely not being graded on your spelling or grammar. Most lawyers aren't litigating in court either.

As I previously wrote, lawyers need to be literate and have good analysis skills. I know plenty of associates who are not great writers and are still great attorneys. You need to have some good writers in the office, but my point is, if you struggle with grammar or spelling there's still room for you in law.

If you want to scrutinize my grammar or spelling, go ahead. I mentioned I was a 4.0 English major not to boast about my writing but to stress the exact opposite to someone who is insecure about their writing; it doesn't matter to me. I used to care when I was young, immature, and wasn't tuned in to other people's life experiences. Today I certainly don't proofread my every imamother post before hitting Submit like I'm actually getting graded on this. Sue me.

Actually, I'll deliberately leave 54 grammar and/or spelling mistakes in this post. Good luck finding them all!

I love this! Can you please point out all 54 of them?

Amelia Bedelia

Post Wed, Jun 05 2019, 8:21 pm
Those of you who are irked from others' mistakes, do you correct them? I'm so tempted to, at times, but don't want to be obnoxious.

amother
Lime

Post Wed, Jun 05 2019, 8:44 pm
Gd this used to be fun!!!

amother
Peach

Post Wed, Jun 05 2019, 9:36 pm
amother [ Sienna ] wrote:
don't know if you are correct. I worked for a L & T firm basically representing LLs. There was research and briefs to write. I worked on loft law cases. They were anything but boilerplate, at least in those days. I also clerked for a judge. I can remember what was said in chambers and among my colleagues.

Estates and Trusts isn't your field obviously. The answers to your questions are clear. If you are an attorney, you should know these. You even said in your post that if the estate is uncontested, there is no writing. How do you know to take on work that will never be contested even decades in the future.

Anyway, lawyers have to write with enough clarity to pass the bar (except maybe in Pennsylvania). That's a decent enough common denominator. This side discussion started when a poster claimed that a law school student couldn't write.

Sure, there might be niche areas in L&T that require the occasional research or brief writing. But high volume L&T firms that focus on L&T do very little real original writing.

It seems you're confusing estate planning with probating and administering. Yes then it's possible that a lawyer may be called as a witness on the PROBATE or administration of an estate where he had DRAFTED the estate plan previously. I specifically referred to a lawyer who only does probating and administering, though. There is original writing involved in estate planning, to an extent.

I agree with Smokey's post above. What's important is one's ability to analyze and express thoughts. And that writing on the bar exam is about issue spotting, certainly not grammar or spelling.

amother
Peach

Post Wed, Jun 05 2019, 9:47 pm
amother [ Smokey ] wrote:
I don't do patent law. The MBE on the bar exam is multiple choice. There are essay portions on some state exams, but it's a rush to issue spot; you're definitely not being graded on your spelling or grammar. Most lawyers aren't litigating in court either.

As I previously wrote, lawyers need to be literate and have good analysis skills. I know plenty of associates who are not great writers and are still great attorneys. You need to have some good writers in the office, but my point is, if you struggle with grammar or spelling there's still room for you in law.

If you want to scrutinize my grammar or spelling, go ahead. I mentioned I was a 4.0 English major not to boast about my writing but to stress the exact opposite to someone who is insecure about their writing; it doesn't matter to me. I used to care when I was young, immature, and wasn't tuned in to other people's life experiences. Today I certainly don't proofread my every imamother post before hitting Submit like I'm actually getting graded on this. Sue me.

Actually, I'll deliberately leave 54 grammar and/or spelling mistakes in this post. Good luck finding them all!

I relate to this post so much. I also have my writing "creds", I also used to love pointing out others' errors and getting all righteously indignant about certain types of mistakes, but now I see that as immature (which I was back then).
Page 8 of 8   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette