Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Sefira
Previous  1  2  3  4

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Jun 05 2019, 12:39 pm
yerushamama wrote:
I prefer not to comment on Sefira as a name, but there is one thing which I find very interesting - The same people who look for meaningful, beautiful sounding and unusual names absolutely cringe at suggestions like "Gnendel" - which means Gan Eden, or even Sheindel and other Yiddish - European names from earlier generations!

A lot of non Yiddish speaking people did not grow up with Germanic language around them, so it sounds odd to their ears, just like Japanese would sound odd.

Another things is that many people think that Yiddish names are "old fashioned", like Ethyl or Gertrude. It sounds like your grandma or favorite aunt.

Something that many people will not admit, is that it can be a class issue. "Modern" people often think of Eastern European names to be lower class "shtetl" names, that should have been left behind on Ellis Island. They are embarrassed to be connected to a history of poverty and pogroms.

Yiddish theater comedies made running jokes about "green immigrants", and how stupid they were. Feivel and Gitty were not considered sophisticated and intelligent characters.

Ruchel

Post Thu, Jun 06 2019, 5:57 am
Ethel is so fashionable

urban gypsy

Post Thu, Jun 06 2019, 6:59 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
Parents DO have an obligation to give a kid a name that is as normal as possible.

I don't agree. I love unusual names. Often kids grow into them and become cool and unique people because of their names. How boring would it be if everyone was named the same 10 names. I don't like intentionally bizarre or difficult spellings, but otherwise I love names that are different.

I don't understand all the vehement reactions against Sefira. If I heard it, I would assume that it was a kabbalistic meaning after the 10 Sefirot. Sort of like Zohar or Tiferet. The other connotation for me would be the name Zafira, which is a pretty Arabic name with a positive meaning. Or the Russian candy Zafir.

It has a very pleasant sound and doesn't sound like anything particularly embarrassing. I would go for it OP.
Page 4 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names