Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Best way to learn web design

Redbird

Post Wed, Jun 19 2013, 9:24 pm
I am a graphic designer and I want to keep my edge and learn web design.

Is it worth the money to do a course such as the Bold Edge, or should I study on my own from a site such as w3schools.com? If I do it on my own, which topics are the most relevant?

Let me know your experiences learning web design. TIA!

Redbird

Post Thu, Jun 20 2013, 8:11 pm
BUMP

mummy1985

Post Fri, Jun 21 2013, 6:41 am
Go through the bold edge its worth it Ive seen the course outline and it will give u all u need to become a webdesigner and as a fellow designer u r making the right decision I built up my career on webdesign

mandr

Post Fri, Jun 21 2013, 10:24 am
Hey it's so funny you're a graphic designer and have a Calvin & Hobbes avatar. I wonder if those are correlated because I'm also a graphic designer (and web designer) and those characters in my avatar.

Anyway, I learned how to build web pages by taking a course in the local college, but not as part of a degree program. I took these "adult education" classes. I don't know where you are from but if you're in Rockland County you can do this in RCC. But probably any community college would offer these. I took one called Web Publishing with HTML. It cost about $300 or so (my boss sponsored it) and it was given on six consecutive Sundays.

The basics you really need to know are HTML. Get yourself a web publishing program like Adobe Dreamweaver. That's the popularly used one. Also, I found this book to be awesome, and I still keep it at work in my drawer so I can reference it when I forget something: Learning Web Design by Jennifer Niederst Robbins.

Redbird

Post Fri, Jun 21 2013, 4:15 pm
mandr, thats cute! Maybe I will change my avatar so people don't confuse us. (I just set mine up)

I just signed up for teamtreehouse.com and I'll see how that goes. Its $25 dollars a month and bold edge is over 2 grand for the comprehensive course so I want to give the cheaper on a shot first. And I'll check out that book you recommend.

mummy1985: Did you take the bold edge?

mummy1985

Post Sat, Jun 22 2013, 3:21 pm
I didn't take the bold edge I just know the course outline can't say how it may give away my identity Wink I went to compuskills in fact which I also recommend if u r in Israel and want to learn in a classroom setting
treehouse looks Fab if u have the self-motivation go for it but if it doesnt work out study with one of these schools they also help with job seeking it's also good to make connections with classmates who may later recommend u or send work your way
Books I recommend are the non-designers guide to webdesign, sitepoints book on the principles to beautiful web design, I have a book at work called seductive web design (I think I'll get bk to u on that)
Webdesigner blogs - webdesignerdepot.com, webdesign.tutsplus.com, smashingmagazine.com -there's a lot more but I would say these r the top three

amother
cornflower

Post Thu, Jun 06 2019, 11:13 am
Redbird, did you end up going into web design?

A company I work for would like me to create some websites for them and I'd love to do some training first. Previously I've only used Site Builder programs like weebly or wix but I'm thinking if I do it properly I can make a career out of it. There are no Jewish web designers where I live so I won't be stepping on anyone's toes and it may fill a niche.

Can anyone recommend a quick inexpensive course that I can take?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics