Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
Where to Move in Manhattan post-college?

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jun 07 2019, 6:02 am
I hope this is the correct forum for this post. My son will be moving to Manhattan in the fall for a year or so before attending grad school. He is modern orthodox and would like to be in an area with other modern orthodox young singles. He is 22. I know that the upper west side is one neighborhood, but he will be commuting to a job in Brooklyn which would make for a very long commute. His friends tell him that the NYU area is another option, but I am concerned that it's more of a club. party atmosphere and that there aren't enough modern orthodox singles there, aside from the college students. Are there any areas in Brooklyn?

sequoia

Post Fri, Jun 07 2019, 6:07 am
No.

There are plenty of MO *people* but not a neighborhood as such.

pesek zman

Post Fri, Jun 07 2019, 6:08 am
Upper west side is definitely the place to be for a young MO guy. So his commute will be an hour, that’s ok. The subways run frequently and there are several different lines up here and it’s not like he’s getting up in middle of the night with a baby! He’s going to love it up here

roses

Post Fri, Jun 07 2019, 6:11 am
I agree with the Upper West Side. He should be in a place where it's "happening". A Brooklyn commute is very doable

amother
Green

Post Fri, Jun 07 2019, 6:24 am
Brooklyn - UWS is a very common commute.

In general, an hour commute in NY is pretty standard.

amother
Magenta

Post Fri, Jun 07 2019, 6:31 am
If he doesn't want to be on the UWS, two other options might be Washington Heights or Kew Gardens Hills. I don't think the commute will be any shorter but rent will be cheaper.

amother
Royalblue

Post Fri, Jun 07 2019, 6:58 am
Washington Heights has a lovely community of singles and young marrieds.

tf

Post Fri, Jun 07 2019, 7:46 am
How’s he going to pay rent? Are you paying? Manhattan costs a fortune

pesek zman

Post Fri, Jun 07 2019, 7:50 am
tf wrote:
How’s he going to pay rent? Are you paying? Manhattan costs a fortune

She said he will have a job (in Brooklyn)

ellacoe

Post Fri, Jun 07 2019, 8:03 am
The UWS side is nice because there are families as well as singles so there is a bit more infrastructure. The families on the UWS regularly host singles for shabbat meals etc. I don't know if he will find that down near NYU.

amother
Pink

Post Fri, Jun 07 2019, 9:30 am
Washington heights is THE place and Mount Sinai shul is THE space for the MO post-college demographic.

tf

Post Fri, Jun 07 2019, 10:18 am
pesek zman wrote:
She said he will have a job (in Brooklyn)

A job in Brooklyn pays muuuuch less than what rent costs in Manhattan. Then there are other living and college expenses. Ask around. I’m curious

pesek zman

Post Fri, Jun 07 2019, 10:21 am
tf wrote:
A job in Brooklyn pays muuuuch less than what rent costs in Manhattan. Then there are other living and college expenses. Ask around. I’m curious

Ask around about what? Op didn’t say what sort of work her son will be doing but I didn’t assume he’d be in a minimum wage position. Op: will your son be making a decent salary?

tf

Post Fri, Jun 07 2019, 10:31 am
pesek zman wrote:
Ask around about what? Op didn’t say what sort of work her son will be doing but I didn’t assume he’d be in a minimum wage position. Op: will your son be making a decent salary?

I’m referring to people who have done it or doing it now. I want OP to be aware of the difficulties this involves before she starts so she can plan ahead. Maybe it’s important to rent together. Or find other ways to make ends meet. The reason I chose rent is because it’s the biggest expense. Anything else can pass with cheaper stuff.

SixOfWands

Post Fri, Jun 07 2019, 10:31 am
tf wrote:

This young man is a recent college graduate. In 2008, CNN found that graduates with a bachelor's degree earn an average of $50,390 annually in their first jobs. In the US. NYC may well be higher. And if he happens to have a business degree, he could be making a lot more. With a roommate, that person could afford Manhattan.

perquacky

Post Fri, Jun 07 2019, 10:55 am
Washington Heights seems to be the place to live now, and I know several MO "kids" in the 20s who live there. Back in my day--and my mother's--the UWS was very popular.
I'm guessing it's much, much cheaper to live in the Heights.

amother
Tan

Post Fri, Jun 07 2019, 11:10 am
perquacky wrote:
Washington Heights seems to be the place to live now, and I know several MO "kids" in the 20s who live there. Back in my day--and my mother's--the UWS was very popular.
I'm guessing it's much, much cheaper to live in the Heights.

Both the UWS and WH are good choices. WH is a little more for the RWMO/YU crowd and the UWS is a little more left. The UWS is closer to Brooklyn. In both places people get roommates to make it more affordable.

lcraighten

Post Fri, Jun 07 2019, 11:59 am
I knew people who lived in Brooklyn. They were left wing black hatters not strictly MO, but he might be interested in looking around there. The guys I knew rented a house together and ate out withing the Flatbush community on shabbos.

icedcoffee

Post Fri, Jun 07 2019, 1:04 pm
I agree that UWS and WH are the best options. I'll throw UES into the mix because there is a nice young MO community here but in my experience it's more married people whereas the UWS is where the singles are. Definitely silly to say that a Brooklyn salary makes Manhattan not affordable. Many people who live in Manhattan work in Brooklyn, the Bronx, and Queens. And plenty of people who work in Manhattan are working low-income jobs - it's not a guarantee that all salaries here are better than any other borough.

In WH you can find a shared room for $500-$600 if you're into that, but most people want their own room which can go from $600-$1000 (the latter end getting you a very nice, spacious room probably in building with many amenities). Rooms on the UWS are more in the range of $1100-$1600 (or even more if you want a luxury building). This is NOT a hard and fast rule, I'm sure plenty of people will say they know someone renting for $XYZ but as someone who did a ton of apartment searching in all 3 neighborhoods I mentioned, that's about right.

amother
Mustard

Post Fri, Jun 07 2019, 1:20 pm
amother [ Pink ] wrote:
Washington heights is THE place and Mount Sinai shul is THE space for the MO post-college demographic.

Absolutely. I live in the UWS and we certainly have singles, but the younger ones tend to live in Washington Heights. My daughter (who is that age but lives at home ) has loads of friends in the Heights and there seems to be a lovely community there.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries