Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shavuos
Menu planning help please - severe food restrictions
Previous  1  2

amother
Ivory

Post Thu, Jun 06 2019, 9:32 pm
pesek zman wrote:
You’re a saint. I literally wouldn’t have them over. From my perspective they need to eat at home.

OMG, totally agree. This is crazy! I'm a really nice person, honest, but I don't know that I could cope with this list, lol! Hope they appreciate your efforts.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Jun 06 2019, 9:35 pm
Oy I just read about the vegetables and fiber. What sort of soup can be made then? Potato soup? Or a yummy sweet potato soup if that's not too much fiber.

If your guests can have nuts and eggs, you can make a vegetarian filling for the wontons, provided you have a gluten free dough.

Squishy, can you post which ingredients you can use, and we can help you make a menu from there.

tichellady

Post Thu, Jun 06 2019, 10:45 pm
That sounds insane. I’m very accommodating but that doesn’t sound doable. You will have to make some things they can’t eat or prefer not to eat. I can’t imagine not serving fruits, vegetables and dairy over Shavuot.

Some ideas: maybe make your own poke bowl ( so people can choose the components they can have), make your own tacos ( with chicken, beef, rice, and veggie/salsa options),

I can’t think of any soups that don’t have fiber and are dairy free other than chicken soup and chicken/vegetable broth. You could do a mushroom broth but I think you said no mushrooms.

tichellady

Post Thu, Jun 06 2019, 10:53 pm
Make your own salad Nicoise ( seared tuna, eggs, green beans, potatoes, olives, cucumber and tomato, leafy green, dressing)- people can take the components they like

Bbq meal- chicken, hotdogs or steak or ribs, potato salad, grilled peppers and zuchini, corn on the cob

Post Thu, Jun 06 2019, 11:25 pm
It's after 11. I went food shopping. I haven't finalized recipes yet, but I am getting closer to a menu. I ordered some dairy free "cheese" cakes and dairy free chocolate "cheese" muffins. My friend baked and is bringing dairy treats, so that helps a lot.

I really appreciate everyone's input. I am going to provide some things at each meal.

Ra_mom, would you give me the recipes for:
Parsley baby red potatoes
Zucchini "spaghetti" salad
The vinaigrette drizzle for the steamed broccoli
Spinach stuffed chicken breasts?

If it's too much trouble, please just give ingredients?

What dipping sauces do you use for the salmon?

Again thank you everyone.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Jun 06 2019, 11:46 pm
This is the dipping sauce. We like the salmon room temp, not cold, but the sauce cold. Adjust as needed for your requirements.

https://www.joyofkosher.com/re.....auce/

amother
White

Post Thu, Jun 06 2019, 11:56 pm
I bought some coconut flour wraps, I forget where. Still haven't figured out something easy to do with them

But my kids did pick up gluten free potato knishes & blintzes for me in Monsey. They're made by a company called Glutenwise, and once two of the gluten-free providers in Lakewood closed, I called to ask her where I can find them. She told me Evergreen, Supreme in Monsey, and Rockland Kosher. Though Evergreen in Lakewood seemed to only have the vegetable ones (and I can't or won't eat cooked peppers. Don't even try to invite me : )

I agree that you can't worry about having good food that some people will eat and others will envy. People with restrictions are used to salivating as they watch other people eat things. As long as there are some choices for everyone I think it's fine and you are a major tzadekes (and maybe you should invite me.)

dankbar

Post Thu, Jun 06 2019, 11:57 pm
marinated salmon
quinoa
cauliflower rice
cauliflower kugel or latkes
vegetable kugel without flour for ones who are allowed
stirfry veg for ones who are allowed
sugar free cheesecakes/cheese snacks for diabetic

Post Fri, Jun 07 2019, 12:10 am
amother [ White ] wrote:
I bought some coconut flour wraps, I forget where. Still haven't figured out something easy to do with them

But my kids did pick up gluten free potato knishes & blintzes for me in Monsey. They're made by a company called Glutenwise, and once two of the gluten-free providers in Lakewood closed, I called to ask her where I can find them. She told me Evergreen, Supreme in Monsey, and Rockland Kosher. Though Evergreen in Lakewood seemed to only have the vegetable ones (and I can't or won't eat cooked peppers. Don't even try to invite me : )

I agree that you can't worry about having good food that some people will eat and others will envy. People with restrictions are used to salivating as they watch other people eat things. As long as there are some choices for everyone I think it's fine and you are a major tzadekes (and maybe you should invite me.)

You're welcome as long as you don't have a additional food restrictions.

ra_mom

Post Fri, Jun 07 2019, 12:34 am
Squishy wrote:
You're welcome as long as you don't have a additional food restrictions.

That gave me a good midnight giggle. Very Happy

CatLady

Post Fri, Jun 07 2019, 7:41 am
I'm sorry I didn't see this yesterday when I could have been of help. My late mother (whose yahrtzeit is the first day of Shavuot) was on a very restricted diet for CHF, ostomy and dialysis. Cooking for her was a challenge, to put it mildly.

I would suggest making a potato-leek soup, which you can then blend to eliminate worries about fiber. You can even strain it and serve it chilled, like vichysoisse. If you made a gazpacho, you could set up a cold soup bar with pitchers, glasses, toppings, etc. A Salade Nicoise, like tichellady suggested, would be a great main course. You can buy canned salt-free tuna, and for those who can indulge, make a nice Dijon vinaigrette. If your guests have digestive issues, step away from the cauliflower!

Just making an effort will be so very much appreciated. I am sure your guests are used to working around their food restrictions and delighted that someone is taking on the "culinary challenge" to host them.

dankbar

Post Fri, Jun 07 2019, 11:18 am
for reg wraps I do as an appetizer: smear with thin layer of mayo. Lay some cold cuts flat, alternating between red & white. Add salad mix. Roll up.

dankbar

Post Fri, Jun 07 2019, 11:19 am
Squishy you're a creative cook! I am sure you'll come up with a great menu! Can't wait to hear when & if you have a minute!
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics