Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
"Affordable" jewish communities near the Bronx?
Previous  1  2

amother
Jade

Post Tue, Nov 28 2017, 10:14 pm
Pomona. Across 202. It’s really Haverstraw, I think. You can get a nice house on a half acre for 500k. Takes about 10k a year but no nyc income tax and car insurance is lower than nyc Too.
It’s right off the palisades exit 13 so easy commute.
Nice people.

amother
Powderblue

Post Tue, Nov 28 2017, 10:47 pm
amother wrote:
There are a certain percentage of transients, sure. Just like in Manhattan. And Washington Heights. And Brooklyn. And anywhere else.

But my kids have been friends with some of the same kids in Riverdale since preschool. I've lived there more than 20 years, as have many of my friends.

And I see the same thing among younger people. Some leave. But a large percentage settle in.

So you’ve been living in the apartments in river dale for 20 years? I know many mo couples who rented there for a few years, I don’t know anyone who bought or stayed in the apartments long term.

Op have you posted about this several times already?

perquacky

Post Wed, Nov 29 2017, 1:29 pm
If you're looking for non-judgmental, then West Hempstead is the place to be. Come out for Shabbat and try us out. You can still get a house in the 400s. I send my dd to yeshiva in Queens by bus. It's a bit cheaper than HANC, although that's not the reason why. (She was in HANC, but that's a story for another day.)
My husband drives in to the Bronx a few times a week, and for a time, he was going every day. The commute isn't great. But it's what you come home to that matters.

amother
Tangerine

Post Wed, Nov 29 2017, 1:42 pm
amother wrote:
So you’ve been living in the apartments in river dale for 20 years? I know many mo couples who rented there for a few years, I don’t know anyone who bought or stayed in the apartments long term.

Op have you posted about this several times already?

We own our unit.

And I can think of dozens of other MO Jews who own their apartments in Riverdale. Well, maybe some rent.

Others own houses.

The neighborhood supports at least 6 Orthodox shuls, plus a few smaller minyans. Two day schools (if you include Kinneret) and a high school that's bursting at its seams. Two (small) kosher supermarkets and several restaurants. Do you really think that its inhabited only by a few transients who move on as soon as they have a little money?

amother
Powderblue

Post Wed, Nov 29 2017, 1:48 pm
amother wrote:
We own our unit.

And I can think of dozens of other MO Jews who own their apartments in Riverdale. Well, maybe some rent.

Others own houses.

The neighborhood supports at least 6 Orthodox shuls, plus a few smaller minyans. Two day schools (if you include Kinneret) and a high school that's bursting at its seams. Two (small) kosher supermarkets and several restaurants. Do you really think that its inhabited only by a few transients who move on as soon as they have a little money?

Nope. I knew about the houses community, but that’s out of ops budget.

pesek zman

Post Wed, Nov 29 2017, 2:46 pm
perquacky wrote:
If you're looking for non-judgmental, then West Hempstead is the place to be. Come out for Shabbat and try us out. You can still get a house in the 400s. I send my dd to yeshiva in Queens by bus. It's a bit cheaper than HANC, although that's not the reason why. (She was in HANC, but that's a story for another day.)
My husband drives in to the Bronx a few times a week, and for a time, he was going every day. The commute isn't great. But it's what you come home to that matters.

It's interesting that you say that it's what you come home to that matter. I've heard other day that, but there are others, like me, who totally disagree. I think that An easy commute (when you work typical hours, 5 days a week) is the secret to a happy life. My husband and I both work full time. If we commuted for an hour plus each way, we would lose that time otherwise spent with our child. Also, who would give her breakfast, or dinner? Who would do homework with her ? Both spouses commuting (an hour plus) would be very stressful and for me, unsustainable

I'll take my tiny apartment with an amazing easy commute any day

amother
Orchid

Post Fri, Jun 07 2019, 2:22 pm
In response to Tangerine, WTA (Westchester Torah Academy) is no longer necessarily the 'cheap' school. WDS' (Westchester Day School's) tuition of pre-k and earlier is about 10% less than that of WTA's 2018-2019 published tuition.

For Kindergarten and above, WDS' Tuition is tied to your family's adjusted gross income. On their website give them an income and they give you a tuition rate. I did this and was surprised to see tuition comparable to WTA's.

WTA and WDS offer two different approaches to education. WTA is providing as much education as they can for the tuition received meaning if the price of providing an education increases and tuition does not the amount/quality of WTA's provided education drops (such as doubling up on grades for some classes and activities). WDS is able to provide a consistent and top quality education thanks to a large endowment from UJA and Avi Chai. I believe if the cost of education increases WDS just uses more of the money from the endowment.

Going back to WTA's tuition, 2019-2020 rates have not been posted yet so it's possible WTA may try to undercut WDS again. However, WTA did not renew their lease at their current location, people close to the project say that the campus WTA has been building will not be ready in time for the September start of school, and I am told that construction starts and stops. Right now there is a lot about WTA that is unknown.

amother
Turquoise

Post Fri, Jun 07 2019, 6:02 pm
pesek zman wrote:
It's interesting that you say that it's what you come home to that matter. I've heard other day that, but there are others, like me, who totally disagree. I think that An easy commute (when you work typical hours, 5 days a week) is the secret to a happy life. My husband and I both work full time. If we commuted for an hour plus each way, we would lose that time otherwise spent with our child. Also, who would give her breakfast, or dinner? Who would do homework with her ? Both spouses commuting (an hour plus) would be very stressful and for me, unsustainable

I'll take my tiny apartment with an amazing easy commute any day

IMO, this is much more likely to work when the family size is smaller. When there are multiple children cramped and unhappy the parent’s commute becomes the variable.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating