Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Simcha Section
Seudas Hodaah

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 05 2019, 4:58 pm
Does anyone know when you are supposed to make one? what do you do at a seudas Hodaah. My ds had a big surgery a few months ago..I was thinking of doing it on the first anniversary but are there actual rules?

amother
Gray

Post Wed, Jun 05 2019, 5:11 pm
DH went through a near death medical saga that required life saving surgery from one minute to the next, a hospital stay, and a lengthy difficult recovery. We made a big seudos hodua when he was fully recovered bh and we make a small seuda or DH gives a kiddush in shul every year on that day.
My father in law had a stroke at a fairly young age bh with no lasting effects. He also make a small thing every year on that day.

ectomorph

Post Wed, Jun 05 2019, 6:08 pm
There aren't rules. Ask your Rav

shanarishona

Post Wed, Jun 05 2019, 9:13 pm
Yes I think there are rules check with a Rav

dankbar

Post Wed, Jun 05 2019, 9:54 pm
There are places that don't do it because of ayin horah.

dankbar

Post Wed, Jun 05 2019, 9:56 pm
I know some cancer patients that relapsed right after a big seudas hodoah or big attention in some way, right when they got well.

amother
Beige

Post Wed, Jun 05 2019, 9:59 pm
My child relapsed after he got some publicity in newspaper.

Israeli_C

Post Wed, Jun 05 2019, 10:08 pm
A sad story about a seudas hodaah...I can't say there's any connection but it just reminded me. The teenage son of a family living on a yishuv in Israel went tremping (hitchhiking) with his friend when a car stopped and offered them a ride. He had his leg in the door and almost sat down when suddenly his friend grabbed his arm and pulled him out, saying something didn't feel right. The car sped away, the boys reported it and it was pulled over by the army who found knives and ropes in the trunk - an Arab ready to kidnap unsuspecting boys. It was in the news https://www.ynet.co.il/article......html and there were widespread celebrations and a seudas hodaah for the miracle that their lives were saved.

A few weeks later the same teenager was killed in a car accident Sad BDE

seeker

Post Wed, Jun 05 2019, 10:50 pm
Enough with the spooky stories. I think it's clear in our scripture and heritage that a person is supposed to share praise of Hashem for the good. Everyone should ask their own rav for guidance as to what they should celebrate and in what way, and if you're doing that l'sheim shamayim then no harm will come from it - which of course doesn't mean that nothing difficult will ever happen to you, but that it would be wrong to presume that it came about because of the seudas hodaah.

Rappel

Post Wed, Jun 05 2019, 11:50 pm
We did a seudah for the birth of my daughter when I first felt ready to do it. I don't believe there is an ideal time.

ETA: she has, bli ayin hara, suffered no known ill effects from that seudah. Smile

amother
Ruby

Post Thu, Jun 06 2019, 12:30 am
Rappel wrote:
We did a seudah for the birth of my daughter when I first felt ready to do it. I don't believe there is an ideal time.

ETA: she has, bli ayin hara, suffered no known ill effects from that seudah. Smile

That’s a kiddish.

Rappel

Post Thu, Jun 06 2019, 12:37 am
amother [ Ruby ] wrote:
That’s a kiddish.

No, it was a seudat hodaah, long after her naming.

It ended up being an extremely complicated and dangerous birth which could have killed both her and me.

Israeli_C

Post Thu, Jun 06 2019, 5:29 am
Rappel wrote:
No, it was a seudat hodaah, long after her naming.

It ended up being an extremely complicated and dangerous birth which could have killed both her and me.

Omg sounds traumatic! Grateful to have you here with us today!

amother
Blonde

Post Thu, Jun 06 2019, 12:13 pm
That hitchhiking story was so spooky.

I do know someone who made a 5 year remission seudas hodaah for being in remission from breast cancer. Very soon afterward she was diagnosed with ovarian cancer and passed away.

Rappel

Post Sun, Jun 09 2019, 12:46 pm
Israeli_C wrote:
Omg sounds traumatic! Grateful to have you here with us today!

Love you too, dear Smile I actually think that the seudat hodaya helped me work through the fear. I don't feel traumatized, BH.

amother
Peach

Post Sun, Jun 09 2019, 3:59 pm
I have a friend who was in a coma and nearly died when she was 3. They make a seudas hoda'ah every year.
Another friend's daughter had serious surgery and they made one seudas hoda'ah after she was declared healthy.

Iymnok

Post Mon, Jun 10 2019, 12:37 am
It’s in place of the Korban Todah. A step up from birkas hagomel.

Studious

Post Mon, Jun 10 2019, 8:27 am
dankbar wrote:
I know some cancer patients that relapsed right after a big seudas hodoah or big attention in some way, right when they got well.

Same here. Since then, I really do think of the ayin hora aspect of it.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jun 10 2019, 7:16 pm
Thanks everyone for input! I asked a rov..he said we should make a seudas hodaah just for family...
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics