Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Disappointing Cookbook recipes, is it Lashon Hara?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jun 10 2019, 10:55 pm
Post Yom Tov, Id love to start a thread about both amazing no fail recipes and disappointing recipes.

Im wondering if mentioning the disappointing recipes is Lashon Hara, if you offer the name of the cookbook, or who/where you got the recipe from?

karat

Post Mon, Jun 10 2019, 11:05 pm
I would love to hear about the recipes that were a hit.

A failed recipe does not always equal a bad recipe.
Sometimes a recipe that is not followed precisely as stated gets messed up.
Other times a recipe needs a little tweaking and can turn out to be successful with some modifications.

amother
Bisque

Post Mon, Jun 10 2019, 11:16 pm
Funny you should ask, I just read over YT something about this. It was about critiquing a medical book, not a cookbook, but the upshot was that a. When you publish a book you’re putting yourself out there to be critiqued; and b. If you critique the content and not the author, it’s not LH. If you said “ Giselle Kucherbuch is a total scam artist, doesn’t know her Acini di Pepe from her elbows, and had no business writing a recipe for a pbj sandwich let alone a pasta cookbook” that would be a personal attack and definitely LH. To say “Giselle Kucherbuch’s recipe for wedding lasagna is difficult to follow and disappointingly bland” is a valid critique of a product and not LH. But AYLOR.

giselle

Post Mon, Jun 10 2019, 11:19 pm
I take offense.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jun 10 2019, 11:30 pm
I guess the best way to describe a disappointing recipe is to say "It didnt work for me", or "It wasnt my taste" (like we tell kids not to say some foods are yuck, just to say its not my taste).

amother
Denim

Post Tue, Jun 11 2019, 3:36 am
amother [ Bisque ] wrote:
Funny you should ask, I just read over YT something about this. It was about critiquing a medical book, not a cookbook, but the upshot was that a. When you publish a book you’re putting yourself out there to be critiqued; and b. If you critique the content and not the author, it’s not LH. If you said “ Giselle Kucherbuch is a total scam artist, doesn’t know her Acini di Pepe from her elbows, and had no business writing a recipe for a pbj sandwich let alone a pasta cookbook” that would be a personal attack and definitely LH. To say “Giselle Kucherbuch’s recipe for wedding lasagna is difficult to follow and disappointingly bland” is a valid critique of a product and not LH. But AYLOR.

Are you Fox? Because if you're not, the two of you need to meet!

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Jun 11 2019, 5:04 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I guess the best way to describe a disappointing recipe is to say "It didnt work for me", or "It wasnt my taste" (like we tell kids not to say some foods are yuck, just to say its not my taste).

Totally agree. That is the polite way to put it.

Also, remember that unless you have an oven thermometer that is accurate, ovens can vary widely by several degrees in either direction.

Ingredients vary by location, manufacturer, and time of the year. Using an avocado when they are out of season will not be as good as using one when they are in harvest time. Baking powder can vary by country. The percentage of fat in the cheese will determine how well it melts. Yeast can expire with no warning.

The possibilities for error are endless. This is why I never make a new recipe when I am expecting company. Make it for family first, and have a backup plan in case it flops.

Cooking is both an art and a science. And when all is said and done, you could make it perfectly, and just not enjoy the flavor, while someone else will think you are a genius chef.

amother
Pearl

Post Tue, Jun 11 2019, 5:43 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
Totally agree. That is the polite way to put it.

Also, remember that unless you have an oven thermometer that is accurate, ovens can vary widely by several degrees in either direction.

Ingredients vary by location, manufacturer, and time of the year. Using an avocado when they are out of season will not be as good as using one when they are in harvest time. Baking powder can vary by country. The percentage of fat in the cheese will determine how well it melts. Yeast can expire with no warning.

The possibilities for error are endless. This is why I never make a new recipe when I am expecting company. Make it for family first, and have a backup plan in case it flops.

Cooking is both an art and a science. And when all is said and done, you could make it perfectly, and just not enjoy the flavor, while someone else will think you are a genius chef.

All of these are true, but sometimes a cookbook really isn't good.

Sometimes the quantities are off. (I have a blintzes recipe that makes so much filling I would need to quadruple the crepes to use up all the filling.) Sometimes the directions are unnecessarily complicated. Sometimes the recipes call for ingredients or equipment not available to the average home cook.

In those cases, it's fine to point out the flaws. The cookbook writer can fix them next time around.

amother
Coffee

Post Tue, Jun 11 2019, 3:22 pm
IMO like a book that gets reviews we can also give reviews on cookbooks. I once bought a book of which NONE of them was something that came out good. I felt robbed Sad
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen