Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
Are there any frum books about Quantum Physics?

TranquilityAndPeace

Post Tue, Jun 04 2019, 9:56 am
Not that I fully understand it, but I enjoy reading about quantum physics, relativity, string theory, etc.

In honor of Shavuos, I'm wondering if there are any frum books on these topics?

Iymnok

Post Tue, Jun 04 2019, 10:04 am
I know that Rabbi Dovid Gottleib talks about it. (I’ve seen it on Torahanytime)
I think he may have majored ir got a PHD in it. Try contacting him through Ohr Somayach.

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Jun 04 2019, 10:14 am
Iymnok wrote:
I know that Rabbi Dovid Gottleib talks about it. (I’ve seen it on Torahanytime)
I think he may have majored ir got a PHD in it. Try contacting him through Ohr Somayach.

Interesting because he was a professor of logic and philosophy. I have no doubt that he's more knowledgeable than the average bear in all manners of science.

Who are the big frum physicists and scientists these days, and have they written books?

ETA: I just googled Dr. Andrew Goldfinger, whose Mishpacha columns I greatly enjoyed. This came up. I have no idea if it fits the bill:
https://www.amazon.com/Thinkin.....60428

Iymnok

Post Tue, Jun 04 2019, 10:19 am
We used to have a four part series by him called phreindly philosophy. I listened to it and understand none of it. A good portion was quantum physics. He spoke about it like it was the most fascinating thing.

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Jun 04 2019, 10:24 am
Iymnok wrote:
We used to have a four part series by him called phreindly philosophy. I listened to it and understand none of it. A good portion was quantum physics. He spoke about it like it was the most fascinating thing.

Cool.

yogabird

Post Tue, Jun 04 2019, 10:56 am
Gerald shroeder might touch on it in some of his books

TranquilityAndPeace

Post Tue, Jun 04 2019, 10:58 am
PinkFridge wrote:
Interesting because he was a professor of logic and philosophy. I have no doubt that he's more knowledgeable than the average bear in all manners of science.

Who are the big frum physicists and scientists these days, and have they written books?

ETA: I just googled Dr. Andrew Goldfinger, whose Mishpacha columns I greatly enjoyed. This came up. I have no idea if it fits the bill:
https://www.amazon.com/Thinkin.....60428

Thank you! This looks like a great read. I wonder why it's $93 for the new book. I'll buy it used! Not that it may not be worth $93 or more, just that's not a price point I'm comfortable with for a book!

amother
Jade

Post Tue, Jun 04 2019, 2:42 pm
Doesn’t fulfill ur Jewish criteria but my science geek kids love to read michio kuko

penguin

Post Tue, Jun 04 2019, 5:01 pm
Thanks, after I picked myself up from the floor from laughter, I just found it for $14 (including shipping) on ebay.

ETA good luck, OP, sorry if I 'chapped you ois' & hope you can also find a used copy and if you don't, and want mine when I finish reading it, plesae let me know.

mandksima

Post Mon, Jun 10 2019, 5:08 am
Check out these in the future, sorry it is after Shavuot here already but quantum physics is always an awesome subject especially when you learn how it applies to Judaism:
Red Cow Quantum Physics in the Torah
Is Your Brain a Quantum Computer?

I have emailed the author questions before. He is very knowledgeable.

The movie The Matrix was based on kabbalistic learning of this subject.

salt

Post Mon, Jun 10 2019, 6:24 am
Why would one need a frum book about quantum physics.
Why not any science book. Is the connection/ conflict between quantum physics and Torah?

Aylat

Post Mon, Jun 10 2019, 7:55 am
salt wrote:
Why not any science book. Is the connection/ conflict between quantum physics and Torah?

I was wondering this. Interested in what exactly you're looking for OP? To understand quantum physics as a theory or for spiritual connections between science and Torah?

Studious

Post Mon, Jun 10 2019, 12:41 pm
Also wondering how a book on quantum physics can be frum or not frum.

imasoftov

Post Mon, Jun 10 2019, 1:20 pm
Studious wrote:
Also wondering how a book on quantum physics can be frum or not frum.

By whether it says the Higgs boson is known as the G-d particle or the God particle.

Studious

Post Mon, Jun 10 2019, 3:26 pm
imasoftov wrote:
By whether it says the Higgs boson is known as the G-d particle or the God particle.

Lol

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Mon, Jun 10 2019, 9:05 pm
I heard recently about a book that has to do with physics and Kabbalah. I don't even know what it would be discussing but for those of you who might be interested, watch out for it. Already exists Russian, but being translated...maybe in time for next Shavuos...

TranquilityAndPeace

Post Mon, Jun 10 2019, 10:56 pm
salt wrote:

Thank you all who contributed to this thread! Going to order some books!

I once read an article about Rov Moshe Shapiro explaining Creation along with the science of sub atomic particles, and found it fascinating.

My niece asked me yesterday what I would do if I didn't work. I told her that I would study cosmology and then teach the beginning of Beraishis in a knowledgeable way. Maybe once. Day.

penguin

Post Tue, Jun 11 2019, 12:23 am
Books by Gerald Schroeder

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Jun 11 2019, 6:32 am
Wanted: Dead AND Alive!

https://www.nature.com/article.....749-8
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room