Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Bais Yaakov ateres miriam
Previous  1  2

amother
Forestgreen

Post Tue, Jun 11 2019, 11:40 am
When I ask about young teachers I mean some schools I looked at seemed to have an ongoing rotation of 19 year old seminary graduates leaving as soon as they get married. I appreciate that young teachers have a lot to offer but it needs to be balanced by having other teachers with a more mature perspective.

Ema of 5

Post Tue, Jun 11 2019, 11:44 am
amother [ Forestgreen ] wrote:
When I ask about young teachers I mean some schools I looked at seemed to have an ongoing rotation of 19 year old seminary graduates leaving as soon as they get married. I appreciate that young teachers have a lot to offer but it needs to be balanced by having other teachers with a more mature perspective.

There are a few single teachers, but most are married, and of the married teachers, most are under 50.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Tue, Jun 11 2019, 11:45 am
Ema of 4 thank you for sharing a positive parent perspective. I hope we will hear from more parents of kids who are in the school.

amother
Khaki

Post Wed, Oct 23 2019, 1:21 am
Bump. What would attract someone here over BBY or TAG. Don’t throw eggs at me but is it mainly families who the other schools turned down and this was their “safe” school? We are new to the area and I am trying to get a feel.

Ema of 5

Post Wed, Oct 23 2019, 1:51 am
amother [ Khaki ] wrote:
Bump. What would attract someone here over BBY or TAG. Don’t throw eggs at me but is it mainly families who the other schools turned down and this was their “safe” school? We are new to the area and I am trying to get a feel.

We never even applied to the other schools, so we aren’t rejects. I’m done replying on this thread, but if you want to message me privately, you are more than welcome.

amother
Bisque

Post Wed, Oct 23 2019, 6:01 am
amother [ Khaki ] wrote:

I don't mean to offend anyone but yes, it is very difficult to get into tag and bby, and some of the students in byam are those who couldn't get into the other 2 schools.

tzavei_yeshuos

Post Wed, Oct 23 2019, 7:04 am
Why not attend their open house/panel for mothers this Motzei Shabbos (10/26/19)?

(In a private house, so not posting details but the ad is in all the local papers or could dm me for details)

amother
Babyblue

Post Wed, Oct 23 2019, 7:58 am
amother [ Bisque ] wrote:
I don't mean to offend anyone but yes, it is very difficult to get into tag and bby, and some of the students in byam are those who couldn't get into the other 2 schools.

Where do people get this stuff from? I don't have a kid in BYAM (no girls) but no it is NOT a B list school!! BBY can be hard to get into but I don't know many rejected from TAG unless they applied very late.

Many find BBY too restrictive, they do have more rules than other community schools regarding things like internet, and some people don't want that. TAG has a lot of five towns families, and a lot of people were looking for a good solid school with a more heimish, laid back parent body. Nearly all my friends with girls there are happy, (I have one friend who switched her daughter out but no school is for everyone), their daughters are learning and growing and thriving.
There does seem to be a bit less homework and tests in BYAM, that is on purpose, so I suppose some will see it as a less academic option than other schools, but from what I see the quality of teachers and subject matter taught is on par with other schools.

amother
Bisque

Post Wed, Oct 23 2019, 10:04 am
amother [ Babyblue ] wrote:
Where do people get this stuff from? I don't have a kid in BYAM (no girls) but no it is NOT a B list school!! BBY can be hard to get into but I don't know many rejected from TAG unless they applied very late.

Many find BBY too restrictive, they do have more rules than other community schools regarding things like internet, and some people don't want that. TAG has a lot of five towns families, and a lot of people were looking for a good solid school with a more heimish, laid back parent body. Nearly all my friends with girls there are happy, (I have one friend who switched her daughter out but no school is for everyone), their daughters are learning and growing and thriving.
There does seem to be a bit less homework and tests in BYAM, that is on purpose, so I suppose some will see it as a less academic option than other schools, but from what I see the quality of teachers and subject matter taught is on par with other schools.

I'll tell you exactly where I get it from. If you call TAG or BBY and try to get your elementary school age daughter in their school....good luck. They are full. Obviously siblings are an exception. One of the main reasons BYAM was started was because the other schools weren't taking in new students. There was a need for another school.

Why is this difficult to accept? There were 2 mainstream schools in an area that was becoming increasingly crowded. The original 2 Far Rockaway schools were full. A new school opened to help accommodate students who were being turned away by the original 2 neighborhood schools.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics