Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Far Rockaway girls schools

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 11 2019, 7:29 am
Apologies if this has been discussed already, it didn't come up in search.

I need to relocate from OOT to NY, prefer not to discuss why. It looks like Bayswater is the most affordable neighborhood for us. I love what I hear about Darchei for boys but I don't know anyone with experience with the girls schools. BBY and Ateres Miriam were suggested. Right now my girls are in early elementary but I also want to know what HS options are.

We are JPF, down-to-earth non-jappy people. Our ideal school would have strong academics but focuses on social and emotional development. I also need to know what the tuition is and how scholarships work.

Thank you in advance!

amother
Lavender

Post Tue, Jun 11 2019, 7:35 am
Bby is the most right wing of the schools and also the hardest to get into. It would take a lot of pull to get into in June. I send my girls to Ateres Miriam. It is a nice warm school. Definitley a simpler crowd than Bby. The principal knows every single kid by name.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Tue, Jun 11 2019, 7:37 am
amother [ Lavender ] wrote:
Bby is the most right wing of the schools and also the hardest to get into. It would take a lot of pull to get into in June. I send my girls to Ateres Miriam. It is a nice warm school. Definitley a simpler crowd than Bby. The principal knows every single kid by name.

All true, However they don’t have a high school and strong academics is not how they would be described. Tag is a mix and has nice academics. It’s bigger and less personal. They have a high school.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 11 2019, 7:59 am
My understanding was that Tag is the more "in town" feel. I'm not sure what that means but it makes me nervous, coming from a small OOT community. Can anyone share?

amother
Babyblue

Post Tue, Jun 11 2019, 8:24 am
Tag is the most academic of the three . Also quite large and not amazingly organized. You might have a very hard time getting into tag. Bby and tag both have a fancy crowd with a lot of big name families, ateres Miriam has much much less of that

amother
Orchid

Post Tue, Jun 11 2019, 8:31 am
I would think you would fit in best in ateres miriam coming from a small oot community, but it's not as academic as tag and bby. Tag is the strongest academically

amother
Ruby

Post Tue, Jun 11 2019, 8:32 am
Ateres miriam will be the easiest of the 3 to get into. To be honest, many of the students in AM are there because they couldn't get into TAG or BBY.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 11 2019, 8:33 am
Can you explain more about what makes Ateres Miriam academically weaker? Do the students come out prepared for high school? Are the classes stimulating enough for smart kids?

amother
Orchid

Post Tue, Jun 11 2019, 8:37 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Can you explain more about what makes Ateres Miriam academically weaker? Do the students come out prepared for high school? Are the classes stimulating enough for smart kids?

It's a newer school they don't even have all the grades yet, I think the oldest is 6th currently so no one really knows yet if they will be prepared for high school. I would say it's more basic than bby and tag, they don't have computers, they don't have major tests, they start everything a few grades after other schools. If a kid is very smart it's probably not the best school for them. The appealing factors are it's warm and more caring than the larger schools, and easier to get into. You should really go to each school take a tour and speak to them about their school and see which one you feel most comfortable in.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 11 2019, 8:44 am
I know, it's just that we are looking to make the switch over the summer and schools are ending already and might not have a chance to see them in action Sad I'm feeling crazy and pressured but sometimes life happens.

I think you can tell if kids are heading in the right direction for HS but I guess you can't really know until they get there.

Can you give examples of what they start a few grades later? I've seen in other schools a 1-year difference in starting things like chumash and rashi but not more.

Ema of 5

Post Tue, Jun 11 2019, 8:51 am
amother [ Dodgerblue ] wrote:
All true, However they don’t have a high school and strong academics is not how they would be described. Tag is a mix and has nice academics. It’s bigger and less personal. They have a high school.

Are you the same another from the other thread? I am very impressed with the academics there. I’m not sure what strong academics means to you, but I’m quite impressed. My daughter is right on par with her peers in the other schools. If strong academics means intense and overworked, then I’m happy to say the school does not have strong academics. My daughter is very bright (per conversations with her teachers, not just because I say so) and she is quite challenged with the work. There is a lot of it, but they are not overworked.
TAG and BBY both currently have high schools, BYAM is not olde enough to have a high school yet, as they have only been around for 7 years, the first year only with preschool, and Rabbi N will not jump ahead just to open new grades. The current oldest grade is 6th, and as they progress, more grades will open, including high school. I’m not sure what the plan is in terms of who will run it.

amother
Lavender

Post Tue, Jun 11 2019, 8:53 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I know, it's just that we are looking to make the switch over the summer and schools are ending already and might not have a chance to see them in action Sad I'm feeling crazy and pressured but sometimes life happens.

I think you can tell if kids are heading in the right direction for HS but I guess you can't really know until they get there.

Can you give examples of what they start a few grades later? I've seen in other schools a 1-year difference in starting things like chumash and rashi but not more.

I have a daughter in BYAM now. They don’t stress aleph Bais much in kindergarden it’s more in pre1a and the siddur party is not till first grade.

Ema of 5

Post Tue, Jun 11 2019, 8:57 am
amother [ Orchid ] wrote:
It's a newer school they don't even have all the grades yet, I think the oldest is 6th currently so no one really knows yet if they will be prepared for high school. I would say it's more basic than bby and tag, they don't have computers, they don't have major tests, they start everything a few grades after other schools. If a kid is very smart it's probably not the best school for them. The appealing factors are it's warm and more caring than the larger schools, and easier to get into. You should really go to each school take a tour and speak to them about their school and see which one you feel most comfortable in.

The only thing I can agree with you on here is that they don’t have computers. My daughter (4th grade) has had in every major subject, numerous times. My daughter is very smart and does very well in school, and even with that she is still being challenged.
What things are you talking about that they start later than other schools?
And to the other amother who said so, I don’t know anyone who sent there BECAUSE they couldn’t get into another school.
It has a warm NOT NEW YORK type atmosphere, and the intention is to keep it that way.
To me, it’s more important that my daughter gets a love and appreciation for Judaism, rather than that she memorizes pesukim and maamarim and such. Lucky me, my daughter gets both :-)

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 11 2019, 8:59 am
I have a daughter in BYAM now. They don’t stress aleph Bais much in kindergarden it’s more in pre1a and the siddur party is not till first grade.

That's actually standard in most places outside yeshivish NYC. I don't think it reflects on the overall academic standard of the school, and it's in line with child development. I'm more interested in how higher-level academic skills develop from about 4th grade and on. Do the older kids know how to read critically, take notes, communicate in discussion and writing, investigate a topic, understand how to unpack a topic in Chumash or Novi.

And do they have a structured approach to social emotional learning, because "warmth" is a great first step but not enough.

Ema of 5

Post Tue, Jun 11 2019, 8:59 am

Do you know why they do that?

amother
Babyblue

Post Tue, Jun 11 2019, 9:09 am
To be honest the by schools in the neighborhood are all great. Without knowing you personally , you
Can be happy in all three. There are pros and cons to newer schools, older schools, schools with a principal who were in trouble, but overall people are very happy in all three schools. If your child has a serious learning disability I would recommend bby because they seem to be best at helping those girls, for very strong academics in terms of knowing shorashim, milim and offering an advanced curriculum that would be tag and for warmth and smaller environment that would be ateres Miriam. There’s lot of overlap and again all three will have your daughter running to school with a smile. So don’t worry your decision will be the right one

amother
Copper

Post Tue, Jun 11 2019, 9:44 am
If you're JPF rather than Yeshivish, have you considered Shulamith? It's more Tzioni than a BY and they stress both Jewish and secular subjects. Shulamith deliberately keeps itself smaller than the big Far Rockaway schools so they retain a warm environment.

https://shulamith.org

amother
Royalblue

Post Tue, Jun 11 2019, 11:09 am
TAG is the most academic, and pushes the girls more. BBY may be more yeshivish than you'd like, if you consider yourself JPF.

Only you can tell if your girls are the type who do well with pushing, or would do better with a more relaxed pace.

amother
Gold

Post Tue, Jun 11 2019, 6:46 pm
Ateres Miriam is the newest and smallest and currently only goes up to 6th grade, but they intend to add a high school when their oldest class reaches 9th grade.

TAG High School is the most academic in that it's really hard, but the girls in BBY (high school is called TMM) work and learn plenty too. TAG does have options for more or less academic tracks (AP's, opting to take accounting instead of regent's trig) but as a whole it's a more pressured atmosphere. Both schools try to give the girls good fun as well. Someone mentioned that Ateres Miriam doesn't have a siddur party until first grade. Unless things have changed, that's when the other schools have theirs.

Officially BBY is the most right wing and TAG is more of a community school, but in my opinion they all have a wide range of students. Maybe TAG has a higher percentage of families who watch TV than BBY, but it's not that big of a difference. TAG families who choose to send their daughters somewhere more yeshivish for high school don't send to TMM, they send to Brooklyn.

Ateres Miriam is the most low key and has the least "New Yorky" kind of pressure. It's a cute small school. TAG is the biggest, but if you are sending to Darchei, you aren't afraid of huge.

They all have some excellent veteran teachers and some that are straight out of seminary who are more hit or miss.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics