Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
Can I force her?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 11 2019, 2:28 pm
I think I know the answer already but I want to ask and get opinions and support anyhow because today was just so hard with DD. I am still shaking and really sad. She is like a black cloud of anger and narcissism. She is not like that all the time but its a lot.
Can I force my 16 year old Teenage daughter to go to therapy and participate? I finally have something that I can threaten her with that would make her go but really I don't think she is able to do the work. She is not able or willing to self introspect or to take any responsibility or change anything she does ever. I keep davening and hoping that things will change with her as she grows older but it isn't.
I have been on and off for myself and its been a huge help.

Stars

Post Tue, Jun 11 2019, 2:31 pm
No. If you threaten her with something that will work it's probably blackmailing and she will
Hate. You. Forever.

Get into therapy for yourself and stay there until she is out of the house.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 11 2019, 2:33 pm
Stars wrote:
No. If you threaten her with something that will work it's probably blackmailing and she will
Hate. You. Forever.

Get into therapy for yourself and stay there until she is out of the house.

why will she hate me forever if it works?

singleagain

Post Tue, Jun 11 2019, 2:37 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

I highly doubt that if forced, the work will get done. You might get lip service. But actually change really has to come from the person

amother
Cerulean

Post Tue, Jun 11 2019, 2:46 pm
You can force her into therapy. I asked my kids to go to therapy. I told them they only need to go. I am sick and wanted them to have an outlet. BH they like it. At this point because of my illness asking them to go is tantamount to emotional blackmail.

Is like the old saying that you can lead a horse to water but can't make them drink. Talk to the therapist about how to get her there.

imasinger

Post Tue, Jun 11 2019, 2:48 pm
I don't think anyone here can answer that, OP.

I have seen a situation where a 16 year old was forced, and she gained a great deal from the therapy. However, it didn't see solve the problems at home, since sometimes the therapist backed her instead of what the parents wanted her to do.

I have also seen a situation where a kid sat in a therapist's office and refused to utter a word, for a month of weekly visits.

Maybe it would be helpful for you to consult a therapist to gain clarity on the issues with her, and develop an effective approach?

amother
Scarlet

Post Tue, Jun 11 2019, 3:18 pm
take her to a family therapist. tell her that youre trying to improve the atmosphere in the home. that the therapist will be neutral and will have ideas for both parent and child. that you are trying to improve the entire family system. this way she will not be the problem child who needs individual therapy. I have seen this approach work better.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 11 2019, 3:19 pm
amother [ Scarlet ] wrote:
take her to a family therapist. tell her that youre trying to improve the atmosphere in the home. that the therapist will be neutral and will have ideas for both parent and child. that you are trying to improve the entire family system. this way she will not be the problem child who needs individual therapy. I have seen this approach work better.

I think that this is a great idea.

Stars

Post Tue, Jun 11 2019, 3:41 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Works for who?

amother
Coffee

Post Tue, Jun 11 2019, 6:13 pm
DON'T
Use logic, compassion, family therapy
If you force her, she may end up with ptsd
Talking from experience
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)