Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
At what age do you start “disciplining”?
Previous  1  2

Zehava

Post Wed, Jun 12 2019, 12:30 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thank you. That is what we want to do. I was concerned though that we were setting him up to being spoiled. Can you tell I’m a first time mom?

Do what you want to do. Especially at this age but even when he’s older.
We each have our parenting styles and we do best when we get to implement them without guilt or fear interfering.
Listen to your mommy instincts, they are a gift and are almost always right.

Kiwi13

Post Wed, Jun 12 2019, 12:50 am
I start “discipline” as early as they can understand it. My daughter is blazing smart, knina hara (however that’s spelled), and started being redirectable at around 9 months. That’s how I start, redirecting. Ignore bad behavior as completely as possible, and praise the heck out of good behavior. In the toddler phase I try to engage them in something positive ASAP when they’re acting up and then praise the positive and give attention for it.

When they get older (3+) tactics need to change somewhat. We use 123 magic with our almost 4-year old, combined with praising the positives and building up his self image as a “good kid,” and it works great. I tell him he’s my “silly mensch” and he loves it. When he acts up I say, “oops! It’s a little too much silly and not enough mensch!” And he adjusts it pretty well most of the time. He truly is a wonderful and kind kid.

Sometimes he’s overtired and cranky and all bets are off, because he’s great but he’s still little. We all do our best. I try to remember he’s entitled to his bad days like I’m entitled to mine.

yerushamama

Post Wed, Jun 12 2019, 1:56 am
Kiwi13, I love the "silly mench" idea!

Kiwi13

Post Wed, Jun 12 2019, 1:58 am
yerushamama wrote:
Kiwi13, I love the "silly mench" idea!

Thanks! My son loves it too! Very Happy

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Jun 12 2019, 8:33 am
You are far from alone. If you can watch YouTube, check out these clips: https://www.youtube.com/result.....owing

It's worth removing your filter for this!
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics