Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Chit Chat
Social media / smartphone - am I missing out?
1  2  Next

No social media or smartphone - am I missing out?
Yes, get into the 21st century  
 17%  [ 42 ]
No, continue as you are  
 82%  [ 202 ]
Total Votes : 244

Israeli_C

Post Wed, Jun 12 2019, 5:05 am
Seems everyone's on facebook, instagram, twitter etc and although back in the day I worked as a social media manager, I don't have anything currently. I have a 'dumb' phone since my son kept smashing my smartphone, so no whatsapp groups, apps etc.
Am I missing out?

Stars

Post Wed, Jun 12 2019, 5:09 am
Nah

ectomorph

Post Wed, Jun 12 2019, 6:00 am
I'm trying to get back to where you are!

MitzadSheini

Post Wed, Jun 12 2019, 6:05 am
These things can be used for good or bad. I use WhatsApp for lots of shiurim, tehilim groups, keeping up with friends. They can be used for terrible things. You have to be careful. I have also wasted lots of time on stupid games.

It's like anything else in the world, can be used for kedusha or the opposite. The are powerful tools and therefore have great power either way.

I don't have Instagram or twitter and rarely use Facebook. WhatsApp for me is the most incredible app. I receive shiurim every day.

SisterSix

Post Wed, Jun 12 2019, 6:18 am
You are on social media right now

Israeli_C

Post Wed, Jun 12 2019, 6:29 am
ectomorph wrote:
I'm trying to get back to where you are!

I'll send my two year old over! He also disconnected our internet twice, but that was too much for me!

Whether a forum is classed social media or not is debatable. For the sake of this thread I mean facebook, twitter, linkedin, instagram

Rappel

Post Wed, Jun 12 2019, 7:14 am
There is a dumb phone which runs WhatsApp, no internet, which they've just started selling in Israel

MitzadSheini

Post Wed, Jun 12 2019, 7:16 am
Israeli_C wrote:
I'll send my two year old over! He also disconnected our internet twice, but that was too much for me!

Whether a forum is classed social media or not is debatable. For the sake of this thread I mean facebook, twitter, linkedin, instagram

in that case forget it. ask yourself if the "thing" will help or hinder your avodas Hashem. then act accordingly.

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Jun 12 2019, 7:24 am
Rappel wrote:
There is a dumb phone which runs WhatsApp, no internet, which they've just started selling in Israel

Oooh! Do you know the make, model number? I need to trade up, because the audio on my current phone is terrible.

sl18

Post Wed, Jun 12 2019, 7:25 am
While I have a small tablet with Internet which basically has the same capabilities as a smarphone, I had a kosher phone for many years, and still do. but there is nothing dumb about it. It's a phone, it calls people. I do find that since I got married and got whatsapp to stay in touch with my family/ husband's family, I waste a lot more time. Sometimes I feel that from the second I wake up in the morning I feel other people's opinions and lives in my face. It does affect my self confidence. Although I made a rule for myself that I don't check it until after noon. That way I start my day off in a good way. (Personal texts I will check)

It's hard not to check it every minute. I'm very happy I don't see friend's whatsapps. It's nice for staying in touch with family, but I also find it takes much more to get an actual conversation in when you can just text things so quickly.

That's how I feel about whatsapp. Instagram and that kind of thing I am SUPER happy I don't have. People 'share their best and hide the rest'. I had Facebook for about 5 years before closing it (which they make very hard to do) so I know how social media is. Most people who still have it will tell you the good parts, but I think the bad outweighs the good, unfortunately. The creators themselves don't let their kids have smartphones because they know that they were created to be addicting, to keep you on money making apps.

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Jun 12 2019, 7:27 am
MitzadSheini wrote:
These things can be used for good or bad. I use WhatsApp for lots of shiurim, tehilim groups, keeping up with friends. They can be used for terrible things. You have to be careful. I have also wasted lots of time on stupid games.

It's like anything else in the world, can be used for kedusha or the opposite. The are powerful tools and therefore have great power either way.

I don't have Instagram or twitter and rarely use Facebook. WhatsApp for me is the most incredible app. I receive shiurim every day.

This is so true, and can apply to anything in the world. You can take a piece of wood and build a succah, or use it to bash someone on the head. Medicine can cure or kill.

Hashem put us here with free will. Our tafkid is to know ourselves, to grapple with addictions, and use our seichel. Everything we have access to should be used to elevate us and bring us closer to Hashem. If we use it in the wrong way, it's not the object's fault.

Grafix

Post Wed, Jun 12 2019, 7:27 am
It sounds like you want the affirmation that your in a better place now, even thought you DO feel like missing out.
I have my ups and downs, when I am addicted to technology and socilizing vs. when I am content with my own peaceful life.
We all know deep down what's the right thing...

yo'ma

Post Wed, Jun 12 2019, 8:23 am
What would you be missing out on? Do you feel you are? People don't know what they're missing until they don't have it, but if you never had it or able to live a happy, productive life without it, you're not missing out.

I am not interested in social media besides imamother and with a smartphone, I like it mostly for whatsapp because I don't live near family and it's the cheapest and fastest way to stay in touch.

essie14

Post Wed, Jun 12 2019, 8:51 am
In my neighborhood, everything gets done on whatsapp.
I never check Facebook or Instagram anymore and I don't feel I am missing out. But without whatsapp I would never speak to any of my family in ch"ul and I wouldn't get invited to any events. Pretty much all invitations I receive are via whatsapp or email.
My kids gan and schools sends everything via whatsapp and email.
My son in the army - his mefaked sends updates on whatsapp.
I would literally be in the dark without it.
No one in my social circles doesn't have whatsapp.

seeker

Post Wed, Jun 12 2019, 10:24 am
If you can stay off it, that is a very good thing. Once you go over, it is extremely difficult to go back. Despite its benefits, social media is harmful to emotional and cognitive health and inevitably robs you of a lot of time no matter how good you are at managing it - which most people aren't.

You may find at some point that you just need it because it's how everyone around you is communicating. But as long as your "dumb" phone is working out for you, embrace it.

sra

Post Wed, Jun 12 2019, 10:59 am
SisterSix wrote:
You are on social media right now

exactly my thought as I read title of thread

Post Wed, Jun 12 2019, 11:00 am
I sort of agree with everything that everyone else is saying. I don't have Facebook or Twitter, and I don't watch videos.

OP, in your case, maybe it would be good for you to be in contact with more people in a similar situation. I would love for you to have more support.

eagle

Post Wed, Jun 12 2019, 11:05 am
To me there is a distinction between having a smartphone and being on social media. I am not on any social media (only LinkedIn). My husband and I years ago both had facebook but after multiple incidents where people were contacting us inappropriately we decided to get off of Facebook. I have never regretted it.
I do have a smart phone which I use for staying up to date on news and topics that I enjoy reading. I also use it for Amazon shopping.
I rarely take my phone out when my kids are around. People already know not to be offended if I don't respond; I'm just not near my phone.
I love technology (I am a software engineer) but I do not like social media. I find it's disadvantages far outweigh the advantages.

mha3484

Post Wed, Jun 12 2019, 11:20 am
I have a smart phone and an Ipad. No computer at home. I like it because I dont pay for home internet and my kids cant get pass the passwords to use it unsupervised. I like that I can use the calendar and list functions to be organized during the day. I have apps for banking and bill pay so I dont forget to pay the electric bill etc. For me its all about balance. I can leave my phone on a dresser and not touch it for an hour and other days I probably stare too much. I'm a work in progress.

I have swung the pendulum of posting tons on my FB page and barely looking at it. I have gotten to a good middle place where I rarely share anything personal but I really enjoy the groups feature.

I have instagram to follow clothing stores or food blogs but I have never posted and half the time I dont even remember to look at it.

You just have to figure out what works best for you so it does not become a massive time suck.

little neshamala

Post Wed, Jun 12 2019, 11:25 am
I have a smartphone. No facebook, instagram or anything but I do have whatsapp and I LOVE it. I am way more in touch with family and friends than I ever would have been, and I get shiurim, shidduch chats etc.
Theres alao a whatsapp chat to keep the mothers in my childrens' classes connected, and its been invaluable. Not to mention my neighborhood chat and others.
I silence most of them so they dont disrurb me, and I read through them when I have time.
I really do love whatsapp that much!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics