Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
How to teach Caring for shoes?
Previous  1  2  3

amother
Ginger

Post Wed, Jun 12 2019, 7:52 am
Or when my buttons fell off a brand new coat and I got a yelling. No, I did not do anything to make them fall. Yes, they were sewn on cr@ppy. Yes, I remember the shame at age 40. Please dont blame her.

DrMom

Post Wed, Jun 12 2019, 8:10 am
What exactly is she doing to her shoes that they become shredded and riddled with holes so quickly?
Have you observed what she does?

CatLady

Post Wed, Jun 12 2019, 8:43 am
At the very least, take her to a store catering to the running community. They will be able to analyze her gait and recommend shoes for her, and I'm reasonably sure that marathoners are hard on their shoes, so they will be built to last. Pretty sure your DD will find this a lot cooler than going to a place that sells sturdy but ugly orthopedic-looking shoes.

amother
Vermilion

Post Wed, Jun 12 2019, 8:49 am
CatLady wrote:
At the very least, take her to a store catering to the running community. They will be able to analyze her gait and recommend shoes for her, and I'm reasonably sure that marathoners are hard on their shoes, so they will be built to last. Pretty sure your DD will find this a lot cooler than going to a place that sells sturdy but ugly orthopedic-looking shoes.

I'm a marathoner.
If I would wait for my shoes to rip I would never get new shoes.
This probably has nothing to do with the shoe.
On the contrary, running shoes are usually made from very light materials on the top. bad idea for this kid.

CatLady

Post Wed, Jun 12 2019, 9:41 am
I'm a walker with a heavy stride (I do half-marathons) and I replace my shoes when I start feeling foot fatigue after a couple of miles. I was looking at these shoes for everyday wear, because they look indestructible.

Amarante

Post Wed, Jun 12 2019, 9:44 am
Running shoes are indeed constructed differently than walking shoes.

Walking shoes tend to be heavy and more durable than running shoes. Running shoes are intended for gazelles on their feet - they are deliberately made as light weight as possible and the soles are intended to help with the running rather than walking gait.

SixOfWands

Post Wed, Jun 12 2019, 10:03 am
DrMom wrote:
What exactly is she doing to her shoes that they become shredded and riddled with holes so quickly?
Have you observed what she does?

This.

While she most likely isn't doing anything, some kids do scrape their shoes along the sidewalk, and rub the uppers against things.

Have you considered Allbirds? They're supposed to be quite durable. Also look at New Balance, Asics, Geox.

studying_torah

Post Wed, Jun 12 2019, 12:29 pm
Some of the sneakers mentioned are just listed for adults.
She will never wear those other bulky sneakers. I wish she would agree.
Sandals are not allowed by the school. Has to be shoes or sneakers.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Jun 12 2019, 1:01 pm
Geox has durable sneakers that are very current and trendy with the young crowd. Get a dark color, maybe denim.

https://www.geox.com/en-US/girl/

amother
Smokey

Post Wed, Jun 12 2019, 1:03 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
Please don't blame her for wrecking her shoes. If you are buying her the shoes she likes, why would she want to ruin them? That doesn't even make sense.

Naot makes very nice, comfortable shoes, and they last forever. The insoles can be replaced when they get too flattened from wear. I walk everywhedore I go, and I have shoes that have lasted 10 years! They are not cheap, but you get what you pay for. Lots of really cute styles to choose from, enough to satisfy any fashionista.

Definitely have her evaluated by a podiatrist, and a doctor who studies movement (what would that be called, an orthopedist?) If she has low muscle tone, she may be dragging her feet a lot. Is she at all clumsy? Maybe some physical therapy is in order.

I’m a PT and would recommend a PT eval to see what’s going on. We are the experts in gait.

aricelli

Post Wed, Jun 12 2019, 1:12 pm
amother [ Smokey ] wrote:
I’m a PT and would recommend a PT eval to see what’s going on. We are the experts in gait.

Not to derail the thread but any tips for toe walking for a spd child? (Ds is seeing a floortime pt)

moomles

Post Wed, Jun 12 2019, 6:26 pm
Try Geox. Most other shoes are not made for active kids.

amother
Smokey

Post Wed, Jun 12 2019, 8:18 pm
aricelli wrote:
Not to derail the thread but any tips for toe walking for a spd child? (Ds is seeing a floortime pt)

Usually the toe walking in those cases is for sensory reasons not biomechanics. You can have him practice walking on heels and do a catch on a balance board.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics