Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Melamed Academy
1  2  3  Next

amother
Coffee

Post Mon, Nov 26 2018, 9:35 pm
Does anyone here currently use Melamed Academy? What do you think of them? How is the program?

amother
Maroon

Post Mon, Nov 26 2018, 11:25 pm
My son did a a year of high school with them. He wanted to leave high school early so he did his senior year there. It was fine. He hasn't applied to college yet as he is going to learn for a few more years, so I don't know what will happen then. But the experience with Melamed was ok.

Yisraela

Post Wed, Jun 12 2019, 1:02 pm
I am following this! I am looking into this for my daughter- How was the high school jewish level - was it challenging.. too easy - on par? what about the college track option?

amother
Smokey

Post Wed, Jun 12 2019, 4:34 pm
I wish they would allow you to pay by subject so that my son can do this at his own pace. Paying per month just doesn't make sense with his schedule.....

Other than that, it looks great!

amother
Lilac

Post Wed, Jun 12 2019, 5:00 pm
amother [ Smokey ] wrote:
I wish they would allow you to pay by subject so that my son can do this at his own pace. Paying per month just doesn't make sense with his schedule.....

Other than that, it looks great!

They let me pay by the subject.

amother
Smokey

Post Wed, Jun 12 2019, 5:55 pm
amother [ Lilac ] wrote:
They let me pay by the subject.

How long ago was this? Maybe I can try again.

amother
Lilac

Post Wed, Jun 12 2019, 5:57 pm
How long ago was this? Maybe I can try again.

Last year meaning 2018

amother
Smokey

Post Wed, Jun 12 2019, 6:10 pm
amother [ Lilac ] wrote:
Last year meaning 2018

Thanks! I will try again.

amother
Lilac

Post Wed, Jun 12 2019, 6:41 pm
Thanks! I will try again.

They are really nice and will work with you.
They responded super fast to any concerns.

I would have used them as an alternative to Yeshiva full time if I needed.

Petra

Post Wed, Jun 12 2019, 7:53 pm
I have a hard time (recently) getting anyone to respond via email or phone.

Soul on fire

Post Thu, Jun 13 2019, 12:39 am
Petra wrote:
I have a hard time (recently) getting anyone to respond via email or phone.

No one ever responded to me either.

malky800

Post Fri, Jun 14 2019, 2:02 pm
I called during working hours just this past Thur and someone picked up on the first ring.

amother
Coffee

Post Fri, Jun 14 2019, 2:09 pm
It took me a few weeks to get through. Once I did, they were very helpful and informative. Program sounds really great, and we were close to signing up. They said to email with any further questions, which I did later that same day. I wanted some additional information before signing up. Never received a response. Re-sent email. Nothing. Even though program looks like a nice fit for my kids, I honestly didn't want to enroll my kids in a school that lacks communication both over the phone and via email. I wish their communication was better.

amother
Opal

Post Mon, Jan 10 2022, 11:29 am
Anyone have their child enrolled in melamed academy this year or even last year ,specifically for high school?

malky800

Post Mon, Jan 10 2022, 11:39 am
Yes, my son is there. He is really in 11th grade but we hope he will be able to graduate this year.

amother
Opal

Post Mon, Jan 10 2022, 11:47 am
What are the pros and cons?
Have you used other programs? Can you start in the middle of the year?

malky800

Post Mon, Jan 10 2022, 11:57 am
I would be happy to talk to you in person. It's a long conversation, you can PM me your phone number.
In short: Your kid needs to be self motivated. It's a lot of work that no one is looking over your shoulder. If he isn't interested, no one is pushing him. There is no teacher ,and no reminders.
B. it's basically a bunch of online courses that are screened for being kosher, in order to get your kid to get the credits he needs to get a diploma
C. there is very little help. There are some tutors, but if your kid gets stuck, you have to be the one to google and figure out how to do it.
D. For kids who don't have a regular english system (like boys in some yeshivas), or don't' work with the regular system, this is a good way for them to get credits to get thier degree.
I don't know if they would allow a kid to start part of the year for the full program, but sometimes you can take just 1 class, and you can start anytime.

amother
Feverfew

Post Mon, Jan 10 2022, 1:06 pm
I use nigri jewish online school. It's live and they send you text and workbooks and their are live fun events during non instructional time. When I looked into melamed it was not live. With Nigri my son is in a live virtual classroom with a teacher and classmates to interact with. It is very scheduled and well thought out. There is also a reward system where the kids get points every class and choose a prize 2 times a year.

merrygold

Post Mon, Jan 10 2022, 1:15 pm
We used them but don't want to post details publicly. PM me for more info.

finprof

Post Mon, Aug 29 2022, 1:34 pm
I know this is an old thread but I'm interested in hearing people's experiences with online Judaics. We had to pull our 10 & 8 years olds (5th and 3rd) grades from a failing Day School and there are no other local schools other than public Sad We will likely move within the next year but I don't want them to fall too far behind in Hebrew and Judaics. Our shul has VERY few kids and no youth programming so we signed them up for Chabad Sunday school already but I'm not sure that is enough. We are MO if that matters.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics