Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
How to prepare basmati rice for Yom Tov meal?

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jun 07 2019, 11:58 am
I don't have much experience cooking rice (or much experience with three day YT's for that matter) so I'm hoping some of you can help.

I will be serving a one-course dairy meal. Well, technically dairy but light on the actual dairy (there will be cheesecake for dessert). Main dish will be salmon with cilantro (still need to find recipe for that--I'm open to suggestions!)

Since my kids like basmati rice and that seems to match well enough, I would like to make it. But how? Cook before YT and then just warm up? Or its here a way to cook it in a 9 by 13 in the oven on YT? What will give the best texture?

Also--what do you think about the idea of serving plain rice? Or what is a good way to dress it up? Other items on the menu include arugula salad, lettuce/avocado salad, and a sweet potato dish.

Thanks in advance!

amother
Tan

Post Fri, Jun 07 2019, 12:14 pm
Basmati rice expert here. I cook mine on Yom Tov. It's quite easy. The ratio is 1 cup rice to 1-1/2 cups water. Rinse rice well. Put in pot. Add water, some salt and a bit of oil. Bring to boil. When water reaches level of rice, lower flame and place two paper towels on top of pot and close lid tightly. Let steam for at least 20 minutes. Fluff and serve. This is the easiest method. For yom tov I make tadig (crust), but that is complicated. I used to make jeweled rice which is topping with sauteed dried fruits (craisens, diced dried apricots etc.) and carmelized onions, but everyone seems to like plain best.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jun 07 2019, 12:39 pm
Thank you for your answer!

Can you please explain about the paper towels? They go between the pot on the lid?

Post Fri, Jun 07 2019, 1:03 pm
Amother basmati rice expert here.

Rice the rice really well. Saute it well. If serving with dairy you could use butter. When the rice becomes aromatic add twice as much water as rice. Bring to a boil and then simmer with a lid on.

You could add turmeric for a yellow color. Saffron is delicious, but expensive.
Add spices before you add the water to release the fragrance.

For really terrific fleish rice, use chicken broth instead of water. You can color it turmeric and /or saffron.

For a pilaf add orzo while sauteing. You can add other spices right before water. Stir them in and bring up the flavor. You can add crushed garlic and other flavorings.

I don't eat chicken soup mix, but guests seem to go for about a teaspoon to each cup of rice.

This is always a sure hit.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jun 07 2019, 2:20 pm
First basmati expert (or anyone else who knows), one more question. How much time approximately will it take for the water to leave the level of the rice? Thanks!

Squishy your methods sound delicious but advanced! Or maybe just that I don't have saffron or turmeric.

Do you mean for your first step to RINSE the rice really well? And then sauté it raw? I think I can do that. I guess it's just the saffron and turmeric that intimidated me but hmm I wonder now if I can get it.

Thanks for answering!

Post Fri, Jun 07 2019, 2:48 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
First basmati expert (or anyone else who knows), one more question. How much time approximately will it take for the water to leave the level of the rice? Thanks!

Squishy your methods sound delicious but advanced! Or maybe just that I don't have saffron or turmeric.

Do you mean for your first step to RINSE the rice really well? And then sauté it raw? I think I can do that. I guess it's just the saffron and turmeric that intimidated me but hmm I wonder now if I can get it.

Thanks for answering!

Skip the turmeric and saffron and stick to white.

It's simple. Wash. Saute. S & P. Add water or broth. Boil. Cover. Simmer.

I am going to answer you with a qualified it depends - sorry.

It depends on what kind of basmati, hows much you are making, the size of the bottom of your pot, the material of your pot, & how hot your burner is.

Mine probably takes about 15 - 20 minutes from start to finish. I have extra hot burners and cast iron pots. My cleaning lady said hers is 25 minutes. Rice is forgiving meaning if it is soft, you can uncover and boil the water out.

amother
Powderblue

Post Fri, Jun 07 2019, 2:52 pm
I make basmati rice often.
Rinse the rice in a strainer then soak in cold water for 10 minutes. Pour out water and add water for cooking. Add a bit of salt.
Bring to boil and cook 10 minutes.

Post Fri, Jun 07 2019, 3:36 pm
https://www.foodnetwork.com/re.....04154

Googling it says that rice is more flavorful frying it first.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jun 07 2019, 7:00 pm
Thanks all! Copying and printing this out now for referral on YT.

Squishy so do I understand right you don't steam... You just sauté and cook with the lid on the whole time, right?

smss

Post Fri, Jun 07 2019, 7:50 pm
I'm sure all the above will work great but if you want a 9x13 in the oven recipe:

2 cups rice
4 cups boiling water (from urn)
2 tsp salt
2 tsp oil

Mix, cover, bake 350 for 40 minutes.

Post Fri, Jun 07 2019, 8:06 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thanks all! Copying and printing this out now for referral on YT.

Squishy so do I understand right you don't steam... You just sauté and cook with the lid on the whole time, right?

Yes - unless I am cooking chinease. Then I steam.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 13 2019, 8:11 am
smss wrote:
I'm sure all the above will work great but if you want a 9x13 in the oven recipe:

2 cups rice
4 cups boiling water (from urn)
2 tsp salt
2 tsp oil

Mix, cover, bake 350 for 40 minutes.

Thank you. Good to know for the future.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 13 2019, 8:12 am
Squishy wrote:
Yes - unless I am cooking chinease. Then I steam.

Thanks Squishy. I sautéed the rice. It came out good. Then again... I don't think anyone tasted a difference from what I usually do (which is fine... My kids are always happy with rice). At least I felt I was doing something special for YT.

Post Thu, Jun 13 2019, 8:26 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thanks Squishy. I sautéed the rice. It came out good. Then again... I don't think anyone tasted a difference from what I usually do (which is fine... My kids are always happy with rice). At least I felt I was doing something special for YT.

Try adding chicken broth instead of water. I save my left over chicken soup for that purpose. They end up eating more of that rice than the water added.

Glad you enjoyed.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen