Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
Son has ADD in grade 2 what med us best?
Previous  1  2

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 11 2019, 12:53 pm
busymother wrote:
We paid out of pocket and went to top doctors cuz I was really nervous about the whole idea. She was diagnosed with ADHD and put on low dose of Ritalin. She was no longer a behavior issue in school, she was a zombie. They were really happy. She no longer slept and ate at erratic times. When the meds wore off at 4pm she had triple the amount of energy and was impossible to deal with at home.
Just trying to weigh in more sides because you asked even though it’s not popular on this site. After a couple attempts at different meds I completely took her off all medications. Took her to a natural dr who said she has learning issues, (we knew that) anxiety and depression. Not adhd. She’s now suffering the long term consequences of the meds and doing much much better with the right diagnosis.

Thanks for sharing.

I do know some children who took meds and became zombies in school, sleeping.....

I have questions. You said now with the correct diagnosis, she's doing better. However, I'm wondering what treatment or...what you did that she's doing better?? Or, is it that now, bh, she's not getting the bad side effects from the meds???

After she got the correct diagnosis,what actions/steps did you take to help her get better??

amother
Slateblue

Post Wed, Jun 12 2019, 2:40 am
if the child is depressed or a zombie - it means it's the wrong medicine

that is bad side effects
the child should be him/herself but it usually helps with focus

flower2

Post Wed, Jun 12 2019, 5:51 am
Get a rec for a good neuropsych eval prior to meds to rule out any other learning/psych problems prior to starting meds so you know you are treating the right thing
As an aside my kid is doing great bH on focalin

busymother

Post Thu, Jun 13 2019, 8:49 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thanks for sharing.

I do know some children who took meds and became zombies in school, sleeping.....

I have questions. You said now with the correct diagnosis, she's doing better. However, I'm wondering what treatment or...what you did that she's doing better?? Or, is it that now, bh, she's not getting the bad side effects from the meds???

After she got the correct diagnosis,what actions/steps did you take to help her get better??

We went to an amazing natutopath and went on homeopathics. Her school didn’t believe me when I told them she wasn’t drugged up anymore. They said she’s doing better than she ever did. Warning: it doesn’t work for everyone.

When my next son started exhibiting problematic symptoms for the school we went straight back to natural dr and b”h he’s doing much better. I can’t tell you which remedies he gave us because it’s so so individual!

I will tell you that with homeopathy there’s a bigger picture. You can’t just pop a pill and done. You need to increase his overall health. More water, fruits and veggies, good nights sleep...

Hatzlacha!
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)