Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
Best kosher phone option

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 13 2019, 5:08 pm
What is the best kosher phone option? What has reliable service and isn’t too expensive for a teen? NY area. Does this work better than getting a regular phone and having someone disable the internet options on it? I’m clueless about this. TIA

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Jun 13 2019, 7:12 pm
Does your school have a policy about this? Our local TAG office won't work on any smart phone for anyone younger than post-high school. The cheapest kosher phone was one that worked with Verizon. The schools (BY types) tell the girls not to do any social network stuff. (I have no idea how many listen, I'm b"H well out of the parsha.)

It's tough because a friend on the east coast (not saying where) was telling me how her daughter would be totally out of it if she didn't have Whatsapp because that's how the kids find out everything - production schedules, forming study groups, etc. Which complicates the parents' lives.

amother
Sienna

Post Thu, Jun 13 2019, 8:51 pm
Following, in same boat as OP. Not ready for my teen to have a phone but ready or not.....

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 13 2019, 9:24 pm
PinkFridge wrote:
Does your school have a policy about this? Our local TAG office won't work on any smart phone for anyone younger than post-high school. The cheapest kosher phone was one that worked with Verizon. The schools (BY types) tell the girls not to do any social network stuff. (I have no idea how many listen, I'm b"H well out of the parsha.)

It's tough because a friend on the east coast (not saying where) was telling me how her daughter would be totally out of it if she didn't have Whatsapp because that's how the kids find out everything - production schedules, forming study groups, etc. Which complicates the parents' lives.

I don’t understand why they wouldn’t do it for a teen. Can you explain? Do they have a phone number that I can call and ask questions? School does have a policy. I wanted to get a phone for the summer.

Now that you mention it DS’s yeshiva sends to parents on WhatsApp! DCs use it to speak with friends in EY (on my phone).

amother
Coral

Post Thu, Jun 13 2019, 9:35 pm
Be aware that a lot of the phones that people have been using as kosher phones are on the 3G network, which is being slowly phased out. If you have a local TAG, ask them what they recommend, and you can ask the school too.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics