Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
Can I daven shacharis at 4 pm
1  2  Next

cookiewriter

Post Wed, Nov 14 2018, 7:32 pm
I really want to be better about davening. I heard a shiur that really inspired me to do it every day and how important it is. But as a mom of five including a special needs child, it doesn’t always happen till 2,3,4...
How does it work?
Can I daven shacahris in the afternoon? When I say shacharis I mean brachos shma Shmona esrei unless I have more time.
I think I remember hearing if it’s mincha time I have to say shmona esrei twice?? Does anyone know? I don’t want to say shmona esrei twice in a row. I’ll feel stupid.

amother
Papaya

Post Wed, Nov 14 2018, 7:43 pm
I don't the halacha, but technically, you can daven shema without the brachot at anytime -they are psukim. You can daven S"E but you should daven mincha, not shacharit.

I know it is much easier said then done: but have you thought of waking up a little earlier when you know the kids will still be sleeping and daven then?

amother
Amber

Post Wed, Nov 14 2018, 7:47 pm
You should really not Daven Shacharis in the afternoon. You should at least say Birchas Hatorah in the morning throughout Eilu Devarim. If you don’t Daven Shacharis Shmone Esrei and you realize at Mincha time then you’re supposed to Daven 2 Shmone Esreis. Hatzlacha! I know it’s hard sometimes.

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Nov 14 2018, 8:23 pm
Ask a rav. I'm not so sure about that davening two Shemoneh Esreis. I've heard that there are some rabbanim - Litvish - who will say daven brachos and one Shemoneh Esrei a day if you can, and it's ok if that one is maariv. There are so many variables.

amother
Lemon

Post Wed, Nov 14 2018, 8:32 pm
The halacha that you have to daven 2 times shemona esra by mincha, only applies to men as women are not mechyav to daven. In the afternoon you can daven mincha. If you have 5 minutes in the morning, you can daven brachos.

doctorima

Post Wed, Nov 14 2018, 8:37 pm
I believe the latest time for davening the Shemoneh Esrei for Shacharis is chatzos (midday), which today in NYC was 11:40 AM. In the afternoon you can daven Shemoneh Esrei for mincha, and most if not all of the birkos hashachar as well if you haven't said them.

I'm pretty sure that davening twice is only for men who were obligated to daven and missed. It may apply to a woman who took upon herself to daven shacharis every morning and missed a day, but it doesn't sound like that's your case, and I wouldn't do so before asking a Rav.

amother
Amber

Post Wed, Nov 14 2018, 8:37 pm
I listened to a shiur and my husband learned in Mishna Brura that women are mechuyav to Daven both Shacharis and Mincha. If a woman is very busy with children and has no time to Daven then she at least has to say a Shevach Bakasha and Hodaah. She can accomplish that by saying either Birchas Hatorah or Brochos through Yehi Ratzon.

amother
Papaya

Post Wed, Nov 14 2018, 8:41 pm
Amber: We do not always pasken according to the Mishna Brura.

Mommyg8

Post Wed, Nov 14 2018, 9:00 pm
amother wrote:
I listened to a shiur and my husband learned in Mishna Brura that women are mechuyav to Daven both Shacharis and Mincha. If a woman is very busy with children and has no time to Daven then she at least has to say a Shevach Bakasha and Hodaah. She can accomplish that by saying either Birchas Hatorah or Brochos through Yehi Ratzon.

In the Artscroll siddur, this halacha is mentioned but then it says that the Chofetz Chaim's wife herself only davened the brochos.

amother
Amber

Post Wed, Nov 14 2018, 9:24 pm
Either way the shiur I listened to was for women and he said that a common misconception is that women think they aren’t Mechuyav to Daven. I myself never believed my husband every time he told me that I have to Daven until I heard in a shiur. I’m not saying that OP has to Daven everything, as she said she’s busy with children all day, but she should at least say Brochos. She for sure can’t Daven Shacharis in the afternoon.
I just searched online and found the following: https://torah.org/torah-portio.....aera/

amother
Lemon

Post Wed, Nov 14 2018, 9:26 pm
Amother amber, women are not mechyav to daven at all, let alone shacharis and mincha. I try to daven one shemona esra a day, and the days I dont have time, I talk to hashem from my heart.
Women are not mechyav in any "mitzvah asei zman grama" any mitzvos that have to be done at a specific time.

esuss

Post Wed, Nov 14 2018, 9:40 pm
I know some ladies who davened maariv every night as their children were sleeping and that was the only time they had. Your children are so young and to leave them long enough to daven may be too long and therefore you are not mechuyav to daven more than berochos.

amother
Amber

Post Wed, Nov 14 2018, 9:45 pm
Davening isn’t considered a Mitzvas Asei Shehazman Gramma. I don’t remember exactly why but I think because you can always Daven. Everyone definitely says you must say Shevach Bakasha and Hodaah. Either way if you click on that link it’s pretty clear in that article.

Iymnok

Post Thu, Nov 15 2018, 2:13 am
A mitzvah asei she'zman grama is only for deoraisa. Shacharis is drabbanon.
The earliest you can daven shmone esrei is neither hachama. That is 6:07 for me today. Try to get a shevach, bakasha and hoda'a in before sof zman tefilla.
If you have 5 minutes, say the first passuk of shema and go straight into shmone esrei.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Nov 15 2018, 6:55 am
cookiewriter wrote:
I really want to be better about davening. I heard a shiur that really inspired me to do it every day and how important it is. But as a mom of five including a special needs child, it doesn’t always happen till 2,3,4...
How does it work?
Can I daven shacahris in the afternoon? When I say shacharis I mean brachos shma Shmona esrei unless I have more time.
I think I remember hearing if it’s mincha time I have to say shmona esrei twice?? Does anyone know? I don’t want to say shmona esrei twice in a row. I’ll feel stupid.

Just say shema and shemona esrei then. No need for twice.

cookiewriter

Post Thu, Nov 15 2018, 3:30 pm
Op here
Thanks all!!!!!!!

amother
Mint

Post Fri, Jun 14 2019, 12:29 am
amother [ Lemon ] wrote:
The halacha that you have to daven 2 times shemona esra by mincha, only applies to men as women are not mechyav to daven. In the afternoon you can daven mincha.If you have 5 minutes in the morning, you can daven brachos.

Are Brachos the most important?

What should women daven in order of importance, if they want to add more davening as time goes on, but they want to start with less, but the most important?

amother
Mint

Post Fri, Jun 14 2019, 12:34 am
amother [ Lemon ] wrote:
The halacha that you have to daven 2 times shemona esra by mincha, only applies to men as women are not mechyav to daven. In the afternoon you can daven mincha.If you have 5 minutes in the morning, you can daven brachos.

Are Brachos the most important?

What should women daven in order of importance, if they want to add more davening as time goes on, but they want to start with less, but the most important?

amother
Red

Post Fri, Jun 14 2019, 12:37 am
amother [ Amber ] wrote:
Davening isn’t considered a Mitzvas Asei Shehazman Gramma. I don’t remember exactly why but I think because you can always Daven. Everyone definitely says you must say Shevach Bakasha and Hodaah. Either way if you click on that link it’s pretty clear in that article.

Great. You repeated this several times and clarified. Obviously not everyone paskens this way. Also- I don’t think we’re all going to Hell for only davening what we manage. It’s also an elementary way of relating to teffilla that I really don’t connect to. (There are Halachas and ppl who are bh able to fulfill them are on a different level of where I and op are standing)

For the emotional side of things op I found starting nishmas really helped me form a positive connection to davening versus having an attitude of why can’t I manage more etc. it’s not on a time table (I’m not counting 40) and it’s quick and meaningful to me.

I don’t believe a rav will tell u to daven twice but probably daven mincha not shachris once it’s the afternoon.

amother
Mint

Post Fri, Jun 14 2019, 1:01 am
I dont want to derail the Shachris at 4pm question but,

When one davens in the morning, are Brachos the most important?

Until what time can Brachos be said?

Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions