Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Summer vacation rant
  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jun 14 2019, 10:21 am
Feel free to kvetch along with me...

School ends June 19/20
Day camp starts July 1
Day camp ends Aug 22
School starts after labor day, so probably around September 3

You following me?
There are approximately 11 days each before and after day camp... We are paying an arm and a leg for tuition and day camp. School should end closer to the end of June and day camp should end closer to the end of August. Don't start telling me people need to go to the country bla bla bla. The world should not revolve around the country.

Thanks for listening.

amother
Brown

Post Fri, Jun 14 2019, 10:26 am
Yup, I'm with you OP! We are totally being taken advantage of!
School ends June 19, (the 19th is very early to finish school) daycamp is from July 2-August 23. School starts the week labor day.... that's alot of days off!

amother
Seafoam

Post Fri, Jun 14 2019, 10:28 am
Darchei in FR added a week to school this year for exactly this reason.

Wish other schools would do the same.

But I know many would be incensed.

sub

Post Fri, Jun 14 2019, 10:33 am
Bydc starts june 27.
I find that the schedule for all school vacations are not keeping up with the times. These days most mothers work full time including throughout the summer.

teachkids

Post Fri, Jun 14 2019, 10:51 am
Sometimes it happens because it's the same people /buildings for both and it does take a few days to prepare and switch over and train staff. Adds up to about a week or a week and a few days on either end. But 11 days is long.

Zehava

Post Fri, Jun 14 2019, 10:54 am
teachkids wrote:
Sometimes it happens because it's the same people /buildings for both and it does take a few days to prepare and switch over and train staff. Adds up to about a week or a week and a few days on either end. But 11 days is long.

Somehow with the boys there is no such problem! No days off! They manage

Chayalle

Post Fri, Jun 14 2019, 10:56 am
My daughter's school is ending on 6/25.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jun 14 2019, 10:56 am
Zehava wrote:
Somehow with the boys there is no such problem! No days off! They manage

Apparently we are not that lucky... My boys have the same vacation as mentioned in my op.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jun 14 2019, 10:58 am
Chayalle wrote:
My daughter's school is ending on 6/25.

That's how I remember it growing up, we ended school in the mid 20's. I don't know what happened that the schools moved it earlier. I guess if no one complains, why not??

studying_torah

Post Fri, Jun 14 2019, 11:00 am
August 22? Here daycamp ends August 15! And school starts after Labor day.
The prices for camp are rediculous & it ends so early.

rachelmom1

Post Fri, Jun 14 2019, 11:01 am
Suffering the same..... Tuitions increase as services and school days decrease.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jun 14 2019, 11:02 am
rachelmom1 wrote:
Suffering the same..... Tuitions increase as services and school days decrease.

Can't we do something about this insanity???

monkeys

Post Fri, Jun 14 2019, 11:33 am
In LA daycamp ends August 9!!!!!!!! 4 weeks of no structure. I’m trying not to think about it.

rikki 1

Post Fri, Jun 14 2019, 11:34 am
Bais Faiga of Lakewood is ending the 24th and hoping other girls schools in Lakewood will follow also. They are swallowing the costs of private bussing for those days.

amother
Indigo

Post Fri, Jun 14 2019, 1:22 pm
rikki 1 wrote:
Bais Faiga of Lakewood is ending the 24th and hoping other girls schools in Lakewood will follow also. They are swallowing the costs of private bussing for those days.

The other girls schools are not following suit. I am seriously thinking of quitting my job because it's almost not worth working for the incredible amount of childcare I have to pay for so many in-between days.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Fri, Jun 14 2019, 1:27 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
That's how I remember it growing up, we ended school in the mid 20's. I don't know what happened that the schools moved it earlier. I guess if no one complains, why not??

If you complain, the response is that you go find another school. So why bother complaining.

The schools have us jumping hoops for them because they know we are dependent on them. So they take full advantage of it.

amother
Smokey

Post Fri, Jun 14 2019, 1:41 pm
rikki 1 wrote:

Ha! My daughters' school was supposed to end on the 26th and they changed it to the 20th Rolling Eyes It's ridiculous.

amother
Blush

Post Fri, Jun 14 2019, 2:06 pm
The schools' days are mandated by the state. Schools receive funding based on the state calendar. They don't have enough money as is. Some schools choose to extend the school day for Torah learning. Every school I sent to, and every school I worked in ended secular studies when public schools did.

Where is the funding going to come from to keep the schools open to coincide with the summer camp schedule. I seem all for this, but show me how to pay for it.

Summer camps should alter their days.

cnc

Post Fri, Jun 14 2019, 2:13 pm
amother [ Blush ] wrote:
The schools' days are mandated by the state. Schools receive funding based on the state calendar. They don't have enough money as is. Some schools choose to extend the school day for Torah learning. Every school I sent to, and every school I worked in ended secular studies when public schools did.

Where is the funding going to come from to keep the schools open to coincide with the summer camp schedule. I seem all for this, but show me how to pay for it.

Summer camps should alter their days.

NYC public schools end June 26.

amother
Salmon

Post Fri, Jun 14 2019, 2:33 pm
cnc wrote:
NYC public schools end June 26.

Public schools in northern NJ are all ending around June 19th, same as the yeshivas.
Page 1 of 9   1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next Recent Topics