Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Summer vacation rant
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next

amother
Brunette

Post Fri, Jun 14 2019, 2:50 pm
The frum schools in our community end on June 13 and the local day camps don't start until June 24. There's a longer gap in August, between the end of camp and the start of school. There are backyard camps during the gap times, but the hours are way too short for two full time working parents.

I personally wouldn't care if the gaps were covered by school or camp, either one would be fine and I'd happily pay extra. As it is, I might send my kids to a secular day camp in August that will be open during the entire gap period and will have both before and aftercare.

amother
Black

Post Fri, Jun 14 2019, 3:23 pm
isnt school and camp like any other service offered? You pay for the service offered for the amount of time they offer and when the service is over its over. They dont have to increase service time just because you feel like you pay so much for it. when you hire a photographer and he says I will work for 5 hours you dont complain that he refused to work for 6 hours just because you paid so much for the 5. You agreed on a set amount of time and price and thats that. why do camps have to extend an entire summer if that isnt the service they want to offer?

amother
Burgundy

Post Fri, Jun 14 2019, 3:33 pm
You are complaining about 11 days before and after?!
Here all the camps are 6 weeks and end 4 1/2 weeks before school starts!!! And yes they are a fortune. Very very few options for August, aside for very few random ages.
(This year it’s more then usual for some reason, but it’s always atleast a 3 week gap at the end.)

amother
Jade

Post Fri, Jun 14 2019, 3:40 pm
amother [ Salmon ] wrote:
Public schools in northern NJ are all ending around June 19th, same as the yeshivas.

Not sure where you’re getting your info. Passaic and Clifton public schools end the 27th while the frum school is ending the 19th. Camp does start pretty quickly hear so that’s nice.

amother
Brunette

Post Fri, Jun 14 2019, 3:41 pm
amother [ Burgundy ] wrote:
You are complaining about 11 days before and after?!
Here all the camps are 6 weeks and end 4 1/2 weeks before school starts!!! And yes they are a fortune. Very very few options for August, aside for very few random ages.
(This year it’s more then usual for some reason, but it’s always atleast a 3 week gap at the end.)

I specifically said the gap is longer in August, I was just too lazy to look up the dates, but now I did. It's about 4 weeks in August.

pizza4

Post Fri, Jun 14 2019, 4:06 pm
My kids school also ends the 24th BH

TwinsMommy

Post Fri, Jun 14 2019, 5:08 pm
My kids are off from end of May to end of Aug. They're twin 12 year olds. I haven't worked full time since before they were born. I vote for year round schooling. Smile

amother
Salmon

Post Fri, Jun 14 2019, 5:12 pm
amother [ Jade ] wrote:
Not sure where you’re getting your info. Passaic and Clifton public schools end the 27th while the frum school is ending the 19th. Camp does start pretty quickly hear so that’s nice.

Bergen County.

amother
Burlywood

Post Fri, Jun 14 2019, 5:46 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Feel free to kvetch along with me...

School ends June 19/20
Day camp starts July 1
Day camp ends Aug 22
School starts after labor day, so probably around September 3

You following me?
There are approximately 11 days each before and after day camp... We are paying an arm and a leg for tuition and day camp. School should end closer to the end of June and day camp should end closer to the end of August. Don't start telling me people need to go to the country bla bla bla. The world should not revolve around the country.

Thanks for listening.

I’m not with you. I can’t stand when mothers complain about having their kids home (couldn’t care less that the kids need downtime after a whole year of long hours) when there are so many childless couples out there who’d give their right arm to trade places with you and have the problem of kids being home “too much.” You had your kids, now be a mother. I guarantee your kids feel that they’re a burden to you. Not a good way to instill self esteem in them.

amother
Tangerine

Post Fri, Jun 14 2019, 5:51 pm
Bnos bracha is ending June 25th!! (Planned since the beg of the year, it's on the calendar!)
I think girls schools in Lakewood were planning on ending later but bussing didn't work out.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Fri, Jun 14 2019, 5:53 pm
amother [ Burlywood ] wrote:
I’m not with you. I can’t stand when mothers complain about having their kids home (couldn’t care less that the kids need downtime after a whole year of long hours) when there are so many childless couples out there who’d give their right arm to trade places with you and have the problem of kids being home “too much.” You had your kids, now be a mother. I guarantee your kids feel that they’re a burden to you. Not a good way to instill self esteem in them.

Are you a working mother? Most of the women complaining are working to pay for school and camp and can barely afford additional childcare costs.
Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
Nobody seems to be working or sending their kids out for fun.

amother
Cerulean

Post Fri, Jun 14 2019, 6:16 pm
The kids are ready for a break by the end of the scheduled school year, so a longer year isn’t the answer. Camps should start sooner after the end of school! And there needs to be an option for an extra week or two at the end. Fortunately, we have been able to find other programs that fill in the gaps before and after (including camp-at-home, some days).

Burlywood, you’re way off base. We were blessed with a child after multiple rounds of IF treatment. We love being parents, and being home with our child. However, we need to pay for school among other things and in our situation that means two working parents. We are not able to take off two weeks before camp and two weeks after (give or take) and all the chagim and the required days off for legal holidays and still have jobs.

amother
Scarlet

Post Fri, Jun 14 2019, 6:21 pm
School is not a babysitting service. They are done educating the kids for the year, and the day camps are run by students who need the time to prepare!

amother
Cyan

Post Fri, Jun 14 2019, 7:40 pm
Thanks OP for telling everyone to leave the "country" out of this discussion

The country is not an option for some of us. I am sick and tired of people
defending the country business!!
For some families, country going is beyond craziness! And whoever doesnt agree or understand, so be it.

amother
Rose

Post Fri, Jun 14 2019, 7:47 pm
amother [ Scarlet ] wrote:
School is not a babysitting service. They are done educating the kids for the year, and the day camps are run by students who need the time to prepare!

From a teacher who knows she is a glorified babysitter for the extra days my school added this year, I thank you for this comment.

Ladies, your children are yours. Schools are there to educate. Our job has more than been accomplished this year, although I do very much empathize with the reality of two working parents. Don't degrade teachers and schools by forcing them to pick up the slack.

amother
Salmon

Post Fri, Jun 14 2019, 8:19 pm
amother [ Rose ] wrote:
From a teacher who knows she is a glorified babysitter for the extra days my school added this year, I thank you for this comment.

Ladies, your children are yours. Schools are there to educate. Our job has more than been accomplished this year, although I do very much empathize with the reality of two working parents. Don't degrade teachers and schools by forcing them to pick up the slack.

Is it so degrading to ask that a week be added to the school year?

amother
Linen

Post Sat, Jun 15 2019, 2:34 pm
amother [ Rose ] wrote:

Why do you feel your job is accomplished after just three quarters of a year? Maybe teaching isn't the profession for you if you feel degraded just because there are a few extra days tacked on.

In England, summer vacation is five weeks and the teachers don't feel like 'glorified babysitters' just because it happens to be past June on the calendar. There's no reason it should be treated any differently than the rest of the year.

heidi

Post Sat, Jun 15 2019, 3:16 pm
Time for the Israelis to chime in.
School ends June 30. Camp is from July 1-21. The end thank you very much.
Percentage wise I'm pretty sure more Israeli mothers work than American mother's.
After years of scrambling for coverage every summer finally a camp that goes till August 15 opened.
It's a fortune of money.
But at least it's something.
You Americans have no idea how good you have it.

amother
Mustard

Post Sat, Jun 15 2019, 4:05 pm
But in Israel

a) it's assumed that most families are going on vacation for 1-2 weeks in august.

b) many offices don't mind kids coming and hanging out.

ra_mom

Post Sat, Jun 15 2019, 9:51 pm
Like every year there are 11 weeks of summer vacation and 8 weeks of day camp. It's hard but shouldn't be a surprise. I'm just happy the kids (and I) are getting a break from school.
Page 2 of 9   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next Recent Topics