Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Summer vacation rant
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next

out-of-towner

Post Sat, Jun 15 2019, 6:54 pm
amother [ Mustard ] wrote:
But in Israel

a) it's assumed that most families are going on vacation for 1-2 weeks in august.

b) many offices don't mind kids coming and hanging out.

And it Israel days off for Yom Tov (not even discussing Chol Hamoed) are a given. Here many working people have only enough vacation days to cover YT and cannot afford to take off more than that.

amother
OP

Post Sat, Jun 15 2019, 7:12 pm
Op here. Interesting to see so many different angles...
All I'm asking is that schools end closer to the end of June and that day camps are actually 2 months long, not 7 weeks... Is it such a crazy request?? I know it's been like this for years, but that doesn't mean it's not problematic. And with most homes having both parents working, it adds so much stress and expenses.

amother
Lime

Post Sat, Jun 15 2019, 7:21 pm
amother [ Burlywood ] wrote:
I’m not with you. I can’t stand when mothers complain about having their kids home (couldn’t care less that the kids need downtime after a whole year of long hours) when there are so many childless couples out there who’d give their right arm to trade places with you and have the problem of kids being home “too much.” You had your kids, now be a mother. I guarantee your kids feel that they’re a burden to you. Not a good way to instill self esteem in them.

Let me guess... R u a stay at home mom or a teacher??? 🙄🙄🙄

studying_torah

Post Sat, Jun 15 2019, 7:28 pm
Then let day camps go longer if the teachers can't teach (not sure why not, no other job gets 10 weeks vacation )

amother
Magenta

Post Sat, Jun 15 2019, 7:30 pm
studying_torah wrote:
Then let day camps go longer if the teachers can't teach (not sure why not, no other job gets 10 weeks vacation )

I also think day camps should go longer. I think the kids have enough school and enough stress. They don’t need more of it. But they do need structure and fun so day camp should go for longer. There shouldn’t be more then a week tops in between.

sub

Post Sat, Jun 15 2019, 7:43 pm
amother [ Scarlet ] wrote:
School is not a babysitting service. They are done educating the kids for the year, and the day camps are run by students who need the time to prepare!

But why is the year ending June 19? At least it should be until the last day of June - as in finish the month. And day camps should be a FULL 8 weeks.

My4Jewels

Post Sat, Jun 15 2019, 7:54 pm
I’m not one who loves the long vacations but you all are acting surprised in some ways. Like oh no what am I to do with these days?! Ummm you guys have had months and months to figure it out. Some of us plan vacation days during these times. Some of us arrange for family to babysit. No it isn’t easy but it’s been in the calendar since last August so we all know it’s coming plan accordingly. The schools and camps will not change their calendars. Just my 2 cents. Lots of things in life are really annoying this is a planned for annoyance/difficulty.

amother
Smokey

Post Sat, Jun 15 2019, 8:21 pm
My4Jewels wrote:
I’m not one who loves the long vacations but you all are acting surprised in some ways. Like oh no what am I to do with these days?! Ummm you guys have had months and months to figure it out. Some of us plan vacation days during these times. Some of us arrange for family to babysit. No it isn’t easy but it’s been in the calendar since last August so we all know it’s coming plan accordingly. The schools and camps will not change their calendars. Just my 2 cents. Lots of things in life are really annoying this is a planned for annoyance/difficulty.

Not me. I posted upthread that my kids' school suddenly decided to end school a week early. Now that's not okay.

sub

Post Sat, Jun 15 2019, 8:38 pm
My4Jewels wrote:

No one is acting surprised. They’re all venting and rightly so. I have lobbied for changes in our school and it’s like talking to deaf ears.

My4Jewels

Post Sat, Jun 15 2019, 8:40 pm
amother [ Smokey ] wrote:
Not me. I posted upthread that my kids' school suddenly decided to end school a week early. Now that's not okay.

That is totally not ok!! Agreed! Wow now that’s chutzpah working parents plan according to the school calendar and snow days are difficult enough but an extra week off how is that even allowed to happen?!

My4Jewels

Post Sat, Jun 15 2019, 8:42 pm
sub wrote:
No one is acting surprised. They’re all venting and rightly so. I have lobbied for changes in our school and it’s like talking to deaf ears.

To me it’s like complaining about winter break or pesach vacation or any other school break. Yes these are annoying and yes it’s hard to occupy kids or find coverage but in my opinion that’s the schools schedule everyone knew about it months ago now deal.

amother
Burlywood

Post Sat, Jun 15 2019, 8:46 pm
sub wrote:

I think you should go one step further and petition the schools to keep the kids on weekends too so you don’t have the stress of your kids being home at all.

sub

Post Sat, Jun 15 2019, 9:03 pm
I think you should go one step further and petition the schools to keep the kids on weekends too so you don’t have the stress of your kids being home at all.

Funny lady. LOL
Did you read what I wrote before? June should be a full month not 3 Weeks. And many day camps claim they give 8 weeks but don’t. I personally loved having my kids and grandkids during vacation, however I also understand the other mothers on this page

Last edited by sub on Sat, Jun 15 2019, 9:35 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Ivory

Post Sat, Jun 15 2019, 9:27 pm

If you'll pay my tuition, I would love to quit my job and stay home with them.

amother
Gold

Post Sat, Jun 15 2019, 9:41 pm
This is in response to why many camps don’t start earlier. As a teacher who also helps run a camp during the summer, I need time to prepare before camp starts. Going from school straight into camp would be problematic for sure. I know a lot of fellow teachers who do the same thing. Not all teachers are vacationing for 10 weeks.

amother
Mint

Post Sat, Jun 15 2019, 11:10 pm
amother [ Gold ] wrote:
This is in response to why many camps don’t start earlier. As a teacher who also helps run a camp during the summer, I need time to prepare before camp starts. Going from school straight into camp would be problematic for sure. I know a lot of fellow teachers who do the same thing. Not all teachers are vacationing for 10 weeks.

I'm sorry, but that's not an excuse. Either don't take the job, or manage both. Most schools I know pay teachers full 10 months or annual salary.
I have a 9-5 day job + my own business I work weekends and evenings. I stay true to my employer and my clients and only make commitments I can keep. And when I commit, even if things end up being tough (like erev Pesach, etc.)I make sure to follow through no matter what without taking off from my day job. If you take on a summer job that's no excuse to cut school short.

amother
Scarlet

Post Sat, Jun 15 2019, 11:23 pm
All summer camps are basically run by teachers and students.

yerushamama

Post Sat, Jun 15 2019, 11:29 pm
When I was a kid, I remember the local JCC having stopgap programs where kids chose their own activities and signed up for as many or as few as we liked. Are there no programs like that available now?

I understand the difficulties of teaching and working in camp, but considering how many mothers work full time, a solution must be found. It is unfair to tell parents who can not take off of work "they're your kids, figure it out!", but also unfair to dump it on the schools. Maybe a week or two at each end run by teenagers with adult supervision, lighter activities with little planning needed?

heidi

Post Sat, Jun 15 2019, 11:35 pm
amother [ Mustard ] wrote:
But in Israel

a) it's assumed that most families are going on vacation for 1-2 weeks in august.

b) many offices don't mind kids coming and hanging out.

Huh??
Spoken by someone who clearly has no first hand experience with this Can't Believe It

Tehila1

Post Sun, Jun 16 2019, 12:30 am
heidi wrote:
Huh??
Spoken by someone who clearly has no first hand experience with this Can't Believe It

Yeah id love to see what my boss says to that one.
Kids hanging out in the office, yeah sure.
Page 3 of 9   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next Recent Topics