Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Giving Gifts
Do you gift for every baby?

amother
OP

Post Sat, Jun 15 2019, 11:01 pm
In the frum world people are having so many babies it’s hard to keep up. Do you give a gift to your friends and family for every baby? Or just the first? I gave friends and family for all their firsts but now they’re on seconds and thirds etc and it feels like a lot. I feel like everyone is constantly having babies around me and I’m constantly buying gifts or making supper. How do you come up with a new (affordable) gift every time? It you buy a gift, does that exempt you from making supper or do you still do both?

allthingsblue

Post Sat, Jun 15 2019, 11:03 pm
Supper exempts from gift (unless super close family or friend).
You can buy a small ($10) gift or chip in with others for any further babies after #1.
You can shop for cute outfits/accessories during sale season, stock up, and keep for future use.

It's also totally acceptable in many circles to not give after child #1, but I like giving gifts so I try.

mom!

Post Sat, Jun 15 2019, 11:05 pm
Depends on my relationship with them.
Try to chip in with others when necessary.

SuperWify

Post Sat, Jun 15 2019, 11:53 pm
Only if I’m really close - like a sister, BFF, boss or cousin, or if the friend did not just have a baby the year before...

For first babies I love buying this: https://www.amazon.com/Tiny-Lo.....r=8-1
A friend got it for me and my baby loved it. It’s well priced and because it’s attaches to a stroller or doona it can be used every day. Good for newborns until 18 months at least. (This company by the way is a Israeli frum company so why not support a Jew?)

For smaller gifts I buy baby hats when they go in sale in Jewish stores, wrap them nicely and it looks the same had it costed $20.

You can also buy hats and pompous on AliExpress and see on a snap. You can gift one hat (say white) and two pompoms in different colors (say gray and blue) so you can switch things up.

amother
Orchid

Post Sat, Jun 15 2019, 11:55 pm
In our family we buy a big item just for the first, that can be used for years. Like a swing, crib, car seat, exersaucer.... we give the parents a choice what they want.

polka dots

Post Sun, Jun 16 2019, 12:03 am
Gift giving can become quite expensive so I only give to close people. But I still like to send over s/th Small to a neighbor, workmate.... I ordered on AliExpress bunch of silicone pacifier clips, really cute and under 5 bucks each and can give whenever needed

meme6

Post Sun, Jun 16 2019, 12:04 am
First baby mostly but I always send a supper . No you do not need to gift for every baby sometimes for someone special you can.

amother
Seashell

Post Sun, Jun 16 2019, 1:18 am
I received more gifts for my first than my second. I also generally only gift for first babies too.
I do make suppers though not only for first babies, because the mother has to rest and recover regardless of how many children she has. I know that I appreciate a supper or help after birth more than a gift.

essie14

Post Sun, Jun 16 2019, 2:05 am
For family (siblings and first cousins) I buy a gift for every baby, as well as a few BFF who are like family. Outfit, nice board book or good quality toy.
Neighbors and local friends - I join the mealtrain no matter what number child.
I also bought some of those tag baby blankets on AliExpress and give them out if I feel I need to give a gift as well. Everyone always appreciates something new like that.

amother
Emerald

Post Sun, Jun 16 2019, 5:01 am
unless it is a close friend or family member we do the following:
every child born in our kehilla (small) we give a gift. I stock up on cheap but nice gifts, have them ready wrapped nicely and only write a very personal card to accompany the present. also we cook.
I stock up on presents under 10 euro. but they have to be really nice Smile eg: childrens cutlery in a nice box or supernice quality baby pyjamas (branded) on sale, silverplated zedukebox in the shape of a babyshoe... nice but cheap. the card I try to write evry personal and deep with bruches and wishes etc.
a close friend will get a bigger gift for the first child, we might chip in for the stroller or a photoshoot or whatever they organise.

(and if there are younger siblings we also send nosh or coloured pencils , a rubiks cube, jumping rope ...something small from the 1 eurp store that they can enjoy.)

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jun 16 2019, 11:53 am
Some great ideas here. If any of you have some good aliexpress links please post!
Also, do you gift for every upsherin?

ectomorph

Post Sun, Jun 16 2019, 12:07 pm
No way. I do what I can. I only give siblings and only for first child. And small gift.

WitchKitty

Post Sun, Jun 16 2019, 12:13 pm
When they have like 10 kids, supper comes out about the same price of a gift....
I have this question all the time. Should I buy something, and more important, what?
Sometimes I wonder why they even deserve gifts. She has a new BABY and I'm buying her a present? And I don't have ANY and I don't get any presents.

amother
Babypink

Post Sun, Jun 16 2019, 12:19 pm
I don't give gifts and don't make supper. I didn't receive any gifts or supper either. I had all my babies very close together and everyone around me is having babies all the time so it's impossible to keep up. I take care of myself. I buy myself gifts that I would want to get and I spend some money on food after I have my baby.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics