Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Toy guns
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sat, Jun 15 2019, 11:14 pm
What are your thoughts?
Ds was given one as a gift and really wants to keep it.
Is it a bad thing to allow him to keep it?

Is it worse to forbid it- forbidden fruit?

Ds is 5. Gun looks like a pretty cheap toy that won't last long at least.

amother
Papaya

Post Sat, Jun 15 2019, 11:20 pm
What would his rebbe say?

imamother153

Post Sat, Jun 15 2019, 11:23 pm
I think kids view it as a costume/play up type of toy and not as a destructive tool as we see it. I see no harm in letting him keep it.

chanatron1000

Post Sat, Jun 15 2019, 11:58 pm
Allow him to have it, but instruct him on gun safety as though it were a real one.

seeker

Post Sun, Jun 16 2019, 12:27 am
Let it go but don't let it go to school/playground in case other parents would have an issue with it.

seeker

Post Sun, Jun 16 2019, 12:27 am
After a while if he seems to not be paying attention to it you could possibly help it disappear.

Grafix

Post Sun, Jun 16 2019, 4:08 am
Don't make an issue out of it and then quietly make it "dissapear"
(oh! it must be the cleaner...)

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Jun 16 2019, 8:03 am
So you don't have a gun policy?
Imagine that this gift wouldn't have happened. What would you like your gun policy to be?

amother
Mustard

Post Sun, Jun 16 2019, 8:14 am
I can't tell you what to do, but as an experienced mother, I will tell you that if you hold a Barbie doll horizontally and bend its knee, it can also be a toy gun.

tsc3

Post Sun, Jun 16 2019, 8:16 am
And they can make guns out of clicks and anything else basically!

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jun 16 2019, 8:39 am
PinkFridge wrote:
So you don't have a gun policy?
Imagine that this gift wouldn't have happened. What would you like your gun policy to be?

I would never have allowed him to buy one.
But I never officially stated that to him.

amother
Seafoam

Post Sun, Jun 16 2019, 8:45 am
I have boys around that age. I never let /liked guns & somehow on their own they decided it’s ‘non jewish’.
Still if my son got it as a gift I think it would be hard to give it up. Personally I’d take him to a store like ‘five below’ and let him exchange it for anything he wants. Or I’d pull up a few fun options on amazon and ask him if he wants to trade. (Things like remote control cars, small LEGO sets, or other things he likes).

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jun 16 2019, 8:47 am
amother [ Seafoam ] wrote:
I have boys around that age. I never let /liked guns & somehow on their own they decided it’s ‘non jewish’.
Still if my son got it as a gift I think it would be hard to give it up. Personally I’d take him to a store like ‘five below’ and let him exchange it for anything he wants. Or I’d pull up a few fun options on amazon and ask him if he wants to trade. (Things like remote control cars, small LEGO sets, or other things he likes).

Thanks.
For now I'm leaving it in the car and if he remembers to ask about it we will deal with it then.

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Jun 16 2019, 8:56 am
It's probably just a phase. Don't let him take it out of the house/yard though.

DD loved Harry Potter, and she would take a stick and make it into a wand so she could zap the bad guys. Kids love the feeling of being able to protect themselves from evil. It's totally natural.

Totally aside from the toy issue, you should really sit down and tell him what to do if he finds a gun at a friend's house.

1. DO NOT TOUCH IT!
2. Get all of your friends away from it.
3. Leave the room
4. Go tell an adult right away.

Little kids have no concept of what "dead" means. "Dangerous" might mean that someone gets an owie, and that's not strong enough language.

ectomorph

Post Sun, Jun 16 2019, 9:18 am
Let him play with it at home. It makes an excellent consequence lol.

Boca00

Post Sun, Jun 16 2019, 9:30 am
Agree to previous posters. Boys will make guns out of anything possible. Our rule is no shooting at real people.

My brothers had guns, laser beams and loads of army men when we were growing up, and they are the most gentle guys ever.

behappy2

Post Sun, Jun 16 2019, 2:53 pm
I don't even get the problem. Kids don't become violent because they play with guns. I have too much to say on this topic so will leave it at that.

And yes kids will make guns out of everything. And they should. It's gender and age appropriate. I wouldn't want it any other way.

TwinsMommy

Post Sun, Jun 16 2019, 10:13 pm
my son entered this phase really late. He's 12 and has been asking for MONTHS for us to buy him Nerf guns and the fancy schmancy squirt guns. We refused and told him if he wants that narishkeit he should spend his own money. So he is. He has a couple of guns now. They don't leave the house. I think I'd do the same thing with other non illegal things of which I don't approve--- shorter skirts for my daughter, books that don't share our values, etc. You want it, you spend it. Their allowance is 3 dollars a week so they can't afford much. Smile

mommy3b2c

Post Sun, Jun 16 2019, 11:10 pm
My kids have probably about 30-40 guns, as well as swords, grenades, shields, soldier costumes, pirate costumes, ninja costumes, etc... I literally cannot understand what the problem is. They are little boys discovering their world through pretend play. A gun is only as good or bad as the person who’s holding it.

amother
Gray

Post Sun, Jun 16 2019, 11:51 pm
I have a very strong aversion to toy guns, for several reasons. The main one is the sheer frustration of having a child chuck "bullets" all over the place all day! My BIL used to do that for a long time, until my SIL and I started picking up the bullets and throwing them out. It was incredibly frustrating...

Chinuch-wise, I'm not sure. I don't think it's the worst thing you can ever do, but it's not great, either. Why start?

Last edited by amother on Fri, Jul 05 2019, 3:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics