Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Sleepaway camp staff members first time - what to bring

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jun 16 2019, 12:47 am
We are going to a camp as staff members for the first time. I was told that the camp will provide us with 2 bedrooms, two beds each, no linen, no towels. Three meals a day and I guess whatever snack the kids get. Closest kosher grocery is about 40 minutes, walmart and shoprite are close by.

I have two kids (plus 20 weeks preg) and husband to feed, clothe, etc. We go for extended vacations in the middle of nowhere every summer so I am used to the clothing part, but usually stay in hotel-like rooms, and other family members worry about the food.

Any ideas of things I might be forgetting to pack?

amother
Yellow

Post Sun, Jun 16 2019, 12:51 am
Linen
Towels
Detergent
Cleaning detergent and supplies
Tissues
Wipes
Papergoods
Percolator
Drinks and snacks to keep in the bungalow
Ices
Fruit
Foods your kids like
Toys/games
Swimming stuff
Stroller
Sweaters
Raincoats/rainboots

Basically everything you use at home besides kitchen stuff and regular meal foods.

thunderstorm

Post Sun, Jun 16 2019, 12:56 am
Hamper
Outdoor riding toys
Drying rack to put wet laundry
Laundry baskets
Flashlights and batteries
And everything else posted above . Imagine you are going to a bungalow . You are just leaving your pots and pans behind.

amother
Bronze

Post Sun, Jun 16 2019, 1:29 am
Shampoo
Soap
Cosmetics
Hair and makeup stuff
Basic medicines like Tylenol
Suntan lotion
Off

ROFL

Post Sun, Jun 16 2019, 1:37 am
Will you have a small fridge ? Maybe take a sandwich maker and a burner so you can make yourself grilled cheese and tomato soup !

amother
Fuchsia

Post Sun, Jun 16 2019, 1:58 am
Mini fridge - to keep milk for morning coffee
Hot water urn
Coffee / tea supplies
Snacks
Laundry detergent
(you prob don’t need cleaning supplies. They will supply broom and most likely send a crew to clean every few days but you can check to be sure).
Sweatshirts for cold mornings
Rain gear

amother
Natural

Post Sun, Jun 16 2019, 2:04 am
Cleaning supplies
Hot water urn
Snacks
Mini fridge
Rain coat
Rain boots
Sweatshirts
Toiletries
Some toys for kids
Linen
Towels

Iymnok

Post Sun, Jun 16 2019, 3:19 am
The camp is not geared for toddlers. Bring indoor and outdoor entertainment for them.
Riding toys, kiddie pool, toys, books, puzzles.
A big bucket of sidewalk chalk.
Know beforehand if there is any childcare activities for staff kids.
The beds will likely need guardrails.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jun 16 2019, 11:03 am
Thanks all! We don't have all that stuff (riding toys, chalk, etc) even in the city but will take what we have.

amother
Yellow

Post Sun, Jun 16 2019, 12:10 pm
OP, I'm curious where the camp is located that the closest grocery is 40 minutes away.
Bikes for the kids are important, I would buy if you don't have. Enough toys and crafts for rainy days.
Maybe a kiddie pool?
Also take along some long/warm outfits for chilly days.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jun 16 2019, 12:44 pm
amother [ Yellow ] wrote:
OP, I'm curious where the camp is located that the closest grocery is 40 minutes away.
Bikes for the kids are important, I would buy if you don't have. Enough toys and crafts for rainy days.
Maybe a kiddie pool?
Also take along some long/warm outfits for chilly days.

We have a scooter maybe I'll bring that, no room in my apt for more than that. No point in buying a bike my kids will outgrow I can't store, they are very little.

Camp is in CT, 40 min from Waterbury. The days I am not working, the kids can go in the real pool, when I am, not going to be around water with laptop. Also I don't own a truck Very Happy Very Happy Or even a minivan, gonna have to borrow one obviously. We have lots of great toys, I will bring, and there is another mother with similar aged kids, will have to coordinate toys with her.

amother
Yellow

Post Sun, Jun 16 2019, 12:51 pm
Oh wow, I assumed the camp is in the catskills! Good luck!
I find that if the kids don't have their own bikes, they end up taking away from other kids. Maybe buy second hand.
Will there be a daycamp for the kids? They need to have what to do with their day, otherwise your days will be very hard.
Why can't you sit near the kiddie pool with a laptop?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jun 16 2019, 12:54 pm
amother [ Yellow ] wrote:
Oh wow, I assumed the camp is in the catskills! Good luck!
I find that if the kids don't have their own bikes, they end up taking away from other kids. Maybe buy second hand.
Will there be a daycamp for the kids? They need to have what to do with their day, otherwise your days will be very hard.
Why can't you sit near the kiddie pool with a laptop?

My kids are 3 and 1.5. There is a day camp for the older, I have a mother's helper for the younger. I need to work at a table most of the time.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Jun 16 2019, 1:18 pm
You'll probably utilize Amazon Prime or Walmart 2 day shipping up there the first year. Smile

amother
Fuchsia

Post Sun, Jun 16 2019, 2:16 pm
Definetly bring the scooter. At that age the kids should be happy walking and on playground equipment. They shouldnt need much.
In camp often going shopping even if it is far is an outlet for staff so you may be able to get rides off of grounds more often then you think.
I grew up and my siblings as staff kids. My parents didn’t bring much and didn’t shop much (we were in md or poconos far from any stores also) and we had amazing years and memories.

mirror

Post Sun, Jun 16 2019, 4:13 pm
Costco has a natural bug repellent. It's good to keep away mosquitoes around late afternoon and evening.

Sunny Days

Post Tue, Jun 18 2019, 1:23 pm
amother [ Fuchsia ] wrote:
Mini fridge - to keep milk for morning coffee
Hot water urn
Coffee / tea supplies
Snacks
Laundry detergent
(you prob don’t need cleaning supplies. They will supply broom and most likely send a crew to clean every few days but you can check to be sure).
Sweatshirts for cold mornings
Rain gear

Op should ask about these things. Our camp supplied a fridge/freezer and had a laundry rm on premises. Yet another camp had a stove.

I would definitely bring cleaning supplies. Doubt that camp will provide that.
What we did last yr was placed a Walmart & amazon order about 2 days ahead of our arrival and had stuff waiting for us when we got there.
We ordered our diapers, wipes, cleaning supplies, personal supplies, hangers etc.
It made life a lot easier to pack and most of these things were either cheap enough to leave there for this yr & not worth the shlep back n forth (broom, dust pan, sm garbage can etc) or used up over the summer (cleaning supplies for eg) the other stuff like soap, shampoo and such we were running low anyway at home so we brought the rest back with us.

amother
Brunette

Post Tue, Jun 18 2019, 1:40 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
We are going to a camp as staff members for the first time. I was told that the camp will provide us with 2 bedrooms, two beds each, no linen, no towels. Three meals a day and I guess whatever snack the kids get. Closest kosher grocery is about 40 minutes, walmart and shoprite are close by.

I have two kids (plus 20 weeks preg) and husband to feed, clothe, etc. We go for extended vacations in the middle of nowhere every summer so I am used to the clothing part, but usually stay in hotel-like rooms, and other family members worry about the food.

Any ideas of things I might be forgetting to pack?

Anything that's available at regular stores, buy up there -- detergent, cleaning supplies, snacks, etc -- to maximize room in your car.

Ask if they provide you with a mini-fridge in your cabin, and how laundry is done (with the campers, or is there a machine you can use).

Pick up some outdoor toys for the toddlers at Walmart. And a couple of outdoor chairs for yourselves if they're not provided.

And b'shaa tova
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics